Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411804 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 09:38:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1462131 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4000 on: June 21, 2015, 05:49:44 AM »

Thanks for sticking up for us! In this instance I think it was just the gamespot crew having the whole timeslot labeled as "adult swim games" rather than any nefarious intent. That stuff gets crazy hectic!

in other news, been working on some HUGE rooms concepts for shoreline region. was legitimately concerned my computer would catch fire and explode, but so far so good! here is a screen from a mysterious island, with fancy new fog shader and everything:

detail: https://i.imgur.com/fSBLpLE.png
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:36:29 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: June 21, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

Woah. That water and the shadows on those background structures. Combined with the fog shaders it's seriously beautiful. Who, Me? Somehow reminds me a little bit of Ori and the Blind Forest....

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: June 21, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »

Update 440

The waves looked a bit mechanical, so today I added the ability to add "rollback" waves, ie a smaller wave pattern moving in the opposite direction as the main wave pattern. I think it looks a bit better.

Also I've started skinning the new creature. James and I call this critter "Jet Fish" and its specialty is fast swimming. What the head will look like I'm still sketching on, but I've started on the lower part used for locomotion.

The creature has two strong tadpole-like tails that work together to create an even forward thrust in the water. It's important to the feeling I'm going for that the speed is even, and these two spiraling tails seem to create a plausible constant swimming motion. When jumping out of the water the creature uses water stored in its body to propel itself upward with a jet, and the two tails are just flexing, probably their muscles help squeezing the water out somehow.

The actual water coming out should probably look nicer than this, just not sure how to do it. Perhaps a similar technique to the smoke.

For the upper body I'm not sure yet, I think it's going to have some pectoral fins as the two tails seem to be way better at pushing forward than they would be at any actual steering.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: June 21, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »

Tadpole ninja! tad pooolee ninjaaa!

Cheesy

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4004 on: June 21, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »

Will all aquatic life try to gang up on poor slugcat and drown you? Leeches, Jet Fish, etc.

Love the look of them though. Well, the tentacles at least. I don't think a short round body would have the leverage or strength to throw a slugcat into the air the way it does.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:10:54 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: June 21, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »

How are the creatures skinned? 

Since mostly everything is procedurally generated the shape of the creatures consist out of points which are connected through springs and then you just draw triangles from point to point which then get redrawn every frame if the points change their positions because of collisions and natural physic like behaviour? Uh, what a sentence :D. The actual "skin" does not respond to collisions?

Am I right? Please correct me if I'm wrong

I'm also wondering, how much did you build the game engine on your own. I know that you are using Unity but does this also mean that you are using Unitys rendering engine? Or did you code the whole game loop with inputs, rendering and so on on your own?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:07:27 PM by adge » Logged
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: June 21, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »

This game is just so beautiful. So great.
I can't convey the amount of praise I can give you through these smiley faces, so just have this one.  Coffee

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
hypedupdawg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: June 21, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »

With the mysterious island, the fog and now an (amphibious?) jumpy creature, this is giving some great alien/otherworldly vibes. Why is it that all circular architecture looks distinctly non-human?

I think the rollback waves definitely add to the water behaviour. One thing I'm curious about is the way you're initially triggering waves in your system - are you adding a continuous physical force to the simulation, or do you set it up in such a way that it perpetuates? On that note, will the water interact with the environment as a whole, maybe damping down just before the rain/getting more energetic during the rain?
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: June 22, 2015, 03:12:46 AM »

I'd just like to note that when I started following this thread, I bookmarked "index.php?topic=25183.4000" cos I just wanted to go to the most recent page and 4000 seemed like a ridiculously high number. But here we are on 4008 posts and I have to update my bookmark :D

Here's to the next 4000!
Wlad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: June 22, 2015, 03:24:18 AM »

I'd just like to note that when I started following this thread, I bookmarked "index.php?topic=25183.4000" cos I just wanted to go to the most recent page and 4000 seemed like a ridiculously high number. But here we are on 4008 posts and I have to update my bookmark :D

Here's to the next 4000!

What about index.php?topic=25183.new;topicseen#newWink
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: June 22, 2015, 04:51:36 AM »

@Christian haha don't worry, there will be something that can eat you all by itself as well!

@adge, yep, correct! That's how I do tentacles etc, but not everything is triangle meshes. Quite a lot is also hand drawn 1-bit sprites that are rotated and stretched etc, and there is a bit of traditional animation in there as well - for example I might do a bunch of frames for a creature showing it rotated around its own axis, and then I combine that with actually rotating the sprite in code to get a 2-axis rotation. As for the engine, Unity's render pipeline and input are used, but the main loop, the game architecture (what is a room, what is terrain, etc etc) and all the object classes are my own.

@hypedupdawg, the waves are just a sine wave that's applied on top of the physics simulation :S

@Crispy75 haha let's be done before that!

Update 441

Jet fish coming along! Still no pectoral fins, but a body and some eyes. Also they sprout whiskers like carp, which are individualized. Now it looks like a tadpole/carp/squid/prawn - I'm always happy when a creature takes on a style of its own and sort of leaves its real-life inspirations behind.

The eyes switch between underwater mode and air mode - under water they're big with a large pupil, up in the air they become like small amphibian eyes:

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: June 22, 2015, 05:10:44 AM »

@Christian haha don't worry, there will be something that can eat you all by itself as well!

Haha, love the response. Excited to see what else lurks in the deep. Will there be any edible sea creatures to give slugcat an incentive to swim?

These "prawns" are looking amazing... love it.

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: June 22, 2015, 05:14:07 AM »

I don't like the position of their tentacles during the jump. It looks awkward and neither elegant nor threatening. They should either be upside-down Aries shaped, or bend all the way up preparing to grab.

Here's to the next 4000!
I have it at 9999 and I'm afraid even that may not be enough.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4013 on: June 22, 2015, 05:33:28 AM »

I don't like the position of their tentacles during the jump. It looks awkward and neither elegant nor threatening. They should either be upside-down Aries shaped, or bend all the way up preparing to grab.
Or I could see them propelling themselves from the water, fully extended, looking almost like an eel with tentacles back and feelers aiming towards its prey. Kind of how a frog is stretched out when it leaps

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:10:18 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: June 22, 2015, 06:07:19 AM »

They look poop-propelled out of water :-/
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: June 22, 2015, 06:20:50 AM »

I love the mouth fangs. Look super creepy underwater. Long thin things always scares the hell out of me Grin
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: June 22, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »

They look poop-propelled out of water :-/

Yeah maybe use handdrawn animations instead. Looks totally weird but he already stated that it will get changed. I love the mouth fangs. Look super creepy underwater. Long thin things always scares the hell out of me Grin

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »

I'm loving these jet prawns so much! Those whiskers are really characterful, and the way the tentacles change in shape and dimension is a nice touch. I think some pectoral/dorsal fins will add a lot.

They do feel a bit unbalanced in the rear, though. I like the muscularity of their tentacles when they jump, but agree with other folks that the flexing lacks a certain elegance at the moment. Perhaps they might contract further inwards in a "scissoring" motion as they expel water? I also think that the point where the tentacles meet should be concave, rather than rounded. My somewhat childish response right now is: "it looks like a butt."

Will these critters attack and eat something other than you? Will something else eat them?

Unsolicited content suggestions:

I love the way that shrimp swim by oscillating their tiny feet/gills/whatever! I seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to render procedurally, and could look really neat/beautiful.

Also, I would love for there to be something with a transparent exterior, inside of which you can see weird organs or appendages.

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: June 22, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »

My thoughts on the shape are best summarised in an image:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: June 22, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »

My thoughts on the shape are best summarised in an image:

I don't agree, left is better, it's more weird hence better to create atmosphere

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic