Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:16:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61956 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:34 AM »

Nice to see another video and get a better look at the shadow gameplay. Looks amazing once more and the new character design works really well.

Not surprised of the attention you're getting. Definitely deserving Gentleman

caou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »

I just found about this devlog and I have to say the color palette is very well selected !

Probaly other people already said to you it reminds them Sword & sworcery

Bravo!

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »

This is wicked, really neat idea and design.  I'm looking forward to seeing the types of puzzles and gameplay you can make of this.  Good luck with the game
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »

Thanks for the kind words as always!

Since this project is all me, I split things into 3 different categories:

• Design
  • Art
  • Code

My focus for some time has been expanding the world (design) and secondary to this has been art, producing stuff I need to go hand in hand with design. As I've been going my time spent coding in the past couple of weeks has been small adjustments and bug fixing, just ticking things off the list - but this weekend I got down to implementing a new feature and it was fun. Also gave me some interesting ideas which was cool, I love how coding stuff can give me ideas for design too.

Anyway, I now have a feature list to implement that is basically, the core code for the game. I've taken 3 days off work, thurs, fri and next monday, and hope to just nail as many of those features as possible - with a break in the middle to go to GameDevNorth! Should be a fun few days, a taste of full time indie life Wink

I'm not saying I will get all of these features done, in fact if I do I will eat my own hat (disclaimer: I do not have a hat), but I aim to shift my focus toward getting these in for the next few weeks, or at least some of them, then I can start designing some fun puzzles and getting art together to match. Pretty excited to start playing with them! Grin

There's only one thing on my todo list today though, and that's 'go to the pub' Beer!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

Good update. I too have found coding will often lead to design ideas. Good luck with your small "vacation" - may it be productive!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »

Cheers Coffee It's been pretty good so far, went to a meeting with other devs round the north of england (about 200 people were there) which was pretty cool. Showed off some Chroma in video form to positive responses.

Development wise:

(Super WIP visuals but the code is pretty solid now)

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »

My long weekend has been pretty successful. Today was (well so far has been) 90% code grinding to get stuff together but I've hit my main goals.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »

those're some gooood lookin' fuck mirrors.

**edit** wait a minute those aren't mirrors they're lens or something i'm an idiot (nice looking lens!?Huh?Huh???)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:48:51 AM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »

those're some gooood lookin' fuck mirrors.

**edit** wait a minute those aren't mirrors they're lens or something i'm an idiot (nice looking lens!?Huh?Huh???)

Haha, yeah these aint no mirrors yo.

Mirrors are in now though, but not fuck-mirrors unfortunately Sad

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »

I'm really diggin' the lenses but unhappily surprised at the lack of fuck-mirrors.

I'll be interested in seeing the complexity of the puzzles for myself. It's difficult to tell from the videos, since you pretty much blasted through everything Smiley

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »

I've not really shown off many puzzles yet specifically, apart from light switch stuff. The videos' main focus was to give a bit of a glimpse at the environment and just wandering around Smiley

I'm trying to get the core mechanics confirmed and prototyped/implemented before I wander off making too many puzzles. So far the main puzzle is simply navigation of the environment itself, although nothing too difficult just yet (although that's subjective since I play this every day!). My intention is not to make an easy game though Wink

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »

I have drank too much caffeine, feels like my heart is punching my lungs.

Anyway, I've been working on the start bit of the game so it actually has a beginning. I put this off because you start off outside, which means there would have to be depth to the scene, which mean - parallax background.

So here it is so far:

I'm pretty happy with it, still WIP but it's coming along.

I also prototyped lightning bolts but didn't like them so going a different route, or maybe I'll make them look not-shitty.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »

Awhile back I read this blog post talking about programming dynamic lightning bolts. The end result is very sexy looking. Good luck!

http://drilian.com/2009/02/25/lightning-bolts/

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »

Awhile back I read this blog post talking about programming dynamic lightning bolts. The end result is very sexy looking. Good luck!

Wow those bolts look awesome in that video, thanks for the link! Definitely gonna give that implementation a whirl Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »

Wow those bolts look awesome in that video, thanks for the link! Definitely gonna give that implementation a whirl Smiley

that's neat! (The blog post)

I like your trees too!

play hydlide 2
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »

If anyone's interested in how the game looks when playing, check out this short game I made for a jam with the Chroma source code: TIGS Thread

Should have posted in feedback rather than announcements but if anyone wants to check it out go for it, and feedback much appreciated as always!

I've been working on this little game all week, and by extension, Chroma. As a result my game engine is now a shit load tighter, more efficient and actually RUNS on machines that aren't mine! MAGICAL.

It's been a very productive week, but no Chroma this weekend... Ludum Dare time Grin

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

Something I'm working on/playing with at the moment, very WIP.

Barely had a chance to do any design stuff as I've been hammering some technical things lately, hopefully I can get this stuff I'm working on done this week and move back to creating the world.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »

ohgoditssobright

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »

Love the mix here. Old-school with Modern sensibilities.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »

Got a pretty solid work session done this weekend.

Most of it being under-the-hood stuff, sexifying code and what not. Got a nice object/entity system going now that's making my life easier (multiple inheritance is wonderful by the way [in my opinion])

Here's a screenshot with a small piece of the results of my new system in place - can't really tell much from it but, pixels are good.

IGF deadline approacheth... not sure if I'll make it, so much to do. I have 2 weeks off starting next week though so even if I don't hit the deadline I'll still have gotten a shit load done, can't wait; two weeks of full time indie dev will be fun!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic