Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:56:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAndroid developers, Is this normal!??!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Android developers, Is this normal!??!  (Read 3873 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 06:24:36 AM »

Ya, when I tried selling my stupid Arvoesine game I just saw pirated copies all over front page of google (and getting google alerts of it being on a new upload site every day), pretty much demotivated me from working on anything for a month (even when you know it happens to all games anyway).
Better this than when your game isn't even uploaded on pirate websites...
That's even more demotivating, believe me

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »

Actually, if you read 2DBoy's blog, sales of World of Goo on Android has increased a lot since they first started selling it on Android.

One thing I've always think before I make any games these days is "Nobody ask me to do it". I made it out of my own will, so I'm not entitled to ask money from other people.

If I were you, I'd make the game free and add in-app purchase with some extra goodies. Obviously, this game targets niche audience. Only hardcore fans will like it so much that they would want to spend money on it.

And yeah, not being pirated is much worse. 'Your game is not worth making it free for other people to play' is the message I get.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:56 AM »

And yeah, not being pirated is much worse. 'Your game is not worth making it free for other people to play' is the message I get.
or "not even pirates heard of your game"

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 01:55:43 AM »

The old adage "The client is always right" comes to mind.

Let's say you buy a new TV, take it home, plug it in, and find out all the colors are out of whack and there's an annoying stuttering.

Now, the very next day you take the TV back to the retailer for a refund, and the guy at the shops tells you "If you stick with it, you'll get used to it and end up enjoying it".

Which bodily orifice will you ask him to shove the TV up through?

Gamer Culture, being Casual or Pro, male, female, old, young... It is all irrelevant. If you want to sell a product, it's your responsibility to make sure the product meets the client's expectations, and it's a pretty big faux pas to attempt to shift blame to them.

If people are returning the game before 15 minutes are up, then there's something pretty bad about it, be it unintuitive gameplay (never understimate the need for tutorials), glitches, or the game simply being boring. It's your job to fix those issues, not to coach users on proper gaming etiquette (hint: there is none  Gentleman).

As for piracy, it will happen. Accept that. As Hima and ANtY said, piracy is an indicator of interest in your game. Just put a dunce cone on every character's head if the game fails to be registered and go on with your life.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 03:14:21 AM »

my stupid Arvoesine game
Why do you keep demeaning that game? I liked arvoesine, it's better than most indie games
True that.

Yeah.
ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/02/34-best-new-android-games-from-the-last-2-weeks-71912-8212/

Found your game on here. 

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic