Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:50:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsPole Vaultage [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pole Vaultage [FINISHED]  (Read 28611 times)
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »

It's going agonizingly slowly but at least there's a basic game structure in place. Both jumpers share a time limit and the first one to successfully jump over the obstacle wins the round. Click on the image below to watch the game in action.

I'm definitely not going to implement everything I've planned. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to polish it enough. Other obstacle types will probably not make it into the compo version of the game...

But hey, at least there's a minimalistic title screen. Also, I'm getting to like Nape quite much. Smiley

felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

This looks better and better!
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

I'm done!

Play the game here: http://j.mp/pole-vaultage-tigcompo

secv
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »

haha I was laughing the whole time very fun. It takes a bit of effort to learn the controls, but after that it's pretty intuitive. I actually cheered out loud when I finally made it.
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »

This looks promising! I am struggling to find a way to restart easily. Once both dudes die/fail, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to go again right after. Did I miss it?

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »

This looks promising! I am struggling to find a way to restart easily. Once both dudes die/fail, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to go again right after. Did I miss it?

D'oh...just have to hit the shift key again! hah. Sorry.

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »

I have tried SO many times! I've been close about 10 times, but I cannot quite make it. This is still fun though, because I WANT TO TRY MORE! hah. Smiley

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »

Glad you like it. Smiley Derek wrote that the true deadline is today at 23:59 so I'm gonna add a restart indicator and try to fix some bugs here and there.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 02:49:25 AM »

Ok, I've added the restart indicators and an info text that you can restart the game by pressing SPACE if you get stuck. I've also added some copyright messages and tried to squash a bug that sometimes locks a jumper making him unable to restart. Apart from that, tutorial descriptions are now more precise.

I guess I'm really done now and therefore, I've recorded a final gameplay video for all those who don't want to bother jumping over the fence. ;-) Click the image below to watch the video.

louroboros
Level 0

wat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 03:37:46 AM »

IT IS SO SATISFYING TO CLEAR THAT FENCE. You should totally add a little thing that shows how far you went so you can keep track of your high score.

Now I need to find a friend to race against.  Hand Any Key Crazy

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 06:15:22 AM »

I really like how you managed to make it a one-button game. It just works! I already played some pole jumping mini games before, but this one is one of the most satisfying precisely because of the one-button mechanics. ("one of the most" because Foddy's Pole Riders is pretty neat too ^^)

I only played it alone yet, I hope to find a friend to test it with me tonight, but I already have something to complain about : is there a way to change the keys ? Because on my keyboard (french keyboard, win7), when I press repeatedly on Shift, Windows display me some shitty stuff about "remanent keys" or whatsoever. I'm sure I can fix it on my windows, but it would be easier if I could change the controls of the game.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »

Because on my keyboard (french keyboard, win7), when I press repeatedly on Shift, Windows display me some shitty stuff about "remanent keys" or whatsoever. I'm sure I can fix it on my windows, but it would be easier if I could change the controls of the game.

Oh crap, I totally forgot about the "sticky keys" on Windows. I wouldn't manage to do full key customization so I've remapped second jumper's control key to SPACE. I hope it won't activate "sticky keys" for you.

And I'm glad that you like my game. Smiley

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »

I have tried SO many times! I've been close about 10 times, but I cannot quite make it. This is still fun though, because I WANT TO TRY MORE! hah. Smiley

YESSSSS! I cleared it! I made the most ridiculous face, I'm sure of it.  Hand Metal Left Mock Anger Hand Metal Right

felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »

love it!!!!! amazingly simple and fun!! :D

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

YESSSSS! I cleared it! I made the most ridiculous face, I'm sure of it.  Hand Metal Left Mock Anger Hand Metal Right

Hand Clap Grin

love it!!!!! amazingly simple and fun!! :D

Thanks! :]

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 07:39:02 AM »

For such a simple games this is surprisingly hard to master. It took me a while to get over the first time, but once I had it seemed to get easier to repeat it. Then suddenly I'd lost the knack, and I had to relearn how to get over again. Plenty of depth for a one button game. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »

For such a simple games this is surprisingly hard to master. It took me a while to get over the first time, but once I had it seemed to get easier to repeat it. Then suddenly I'd lost the knack, and I had to relearn how to get over again. Plenty of depth for a one button game. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

Yes, you're right, it's suprisingly easy to forget how to jump over the fence. But thank you for your kind words. Smiley I'm planning to work further on this idea and polish the control scheme more.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »

I've published source code of Pole Vaultage! on Github. It's written in Haxe and uses HaxeFlixel and Nape. This version of Pole Vaultage! won't be updated anymore but the game will be developed in other form.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic