Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 09:33:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[0/12] Grayfox's #OneGameAMonth [Game 1 Prototype Playable]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [0/12] Grayfox's #OneGameAMonth [Game 1 Prototype Playable]  (Read 2205 times)
grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »

Hey guys, I'm taking another crack at game development. This time I've started a blog around OneGameAMonth and started a quick project: an endless runner called "Zombies!!! Run!!!" being made in XNA 4.0 with MonoGame with Windows 8 as my target platform, and I've come with a prototype (Windows Desktop only at the moment, sorry!) the assets are all rectangles, so its not much to look at. Pretend the blue square is a running person, the large red block is a horde of zombies, and the purple blocks are misc obstacles. Fun, right? It's a start lol. The controls are:

Up/Down - to navigate menus,
Enter - to confirm,
Esc - to pause/exit,
W - to move player up,
S - to move player down

The players' collision rectangle is 1/3 the size of the blue rectangle, so only the bottom will collide with obstacles, in the near future this will be represented by a drop shadow, and the player will of course be an animated sprite.

There is no winning condition, and it isn't too difficult yet, you will return to the main menu when the horde catches up to you.

I've uploaded it to sendspace, can anybody suggest a better option? Here's a link to my blog and the game is detailed below. I'll update this post as I go, thanks for reading!

P.S. Let me know asap if the installer doesn't work for you, this is the first time I've published an XNA 4.0 game.

GAME 1: ZOMBIES!!! RUN!!!
Current Status: 15% Complete
Downloads: [Prototype]

Description: You are some dude/gal that is trapped in a creepy school in a seemingly endless hallway filled with crates, lockers, dead bodies, radioactive fluid, and other crazy stuff that acts as obstacles. Your goal is to avoid the obstacles and the zombies chasing after you, hitting an obstacle will allow the zombies to catch up to you. Once the zombies get you, its game over.

Latest Update: Right now I've made a prototype using the Game Management Sample as a starting point, swapped out some menu graphics and created a scrolling background in the gameplay screen. Then I added 3 different rectangles to represent the Player, Zombie Horde, and Obstacles, and put it together with a beginning and end. This gives me 3 weeks to polish it up and add content, and a winning condition, maybe extra levels outside the creepy school
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:01:09 PM by grayfox88 » Logged

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »

I changed the resolution of the game to 1280x720 for now, and all of the assets will be built around this. I've also added a filter over everything to create a 'subtle' lighting effect Embarrassed I played around with some fonts and audio stuff, too. I also spent some time goofing off with some audio and working with an artist to create some sprites, here are some mock-ups I've created in the meantime.

More to come!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic