Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 01:10:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 70790 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: October 25, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

I mean basically every unit is constructed out of X possible parts which are visually represented. As such every part has to also be fully animated in every animation the unit will have. This is why just a walking animation on a mech, with a few options comes out to 180 frames for a single direction.

I feel your pain. I'm currently at ~40,000 sprites for the character animations in my game. Crazy

ARGH!! Yeah.. hows that going anyways? I haven't seen any updates on it in a long time I don't think. (Pretty sure the blog is RSS subbed to)

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2013, 07:22:56 AM »

It's going great. I just decided to dev in the dark until I'm out of pre-alpha.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »

It's going great. I just decided to dev in the dark until I'm out of pre-alpha.

Nice Smiley any particular reasons for that?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »

I talked about it a bit in my DevLog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14419.msg935394#msg935394 (Don't want to hijack your thread!)

With regards to making sprites, I imagine it's even tougher when making pixel art like you've got in your game. I use Poser to generate the characters in my game and can automate a great deal of it. I'd have gone insane if I had to draw each sprite individually. But I guess there are ways to optimize that as well? Scaling and rotating pixel sprites and stuff?

Laserbrain Studios
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »

I talked about it a bit in my DevLog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14419.msg935394#msg935394 (Don't want to hijack your thread!)

With regards to making sprites, I imagine it's even tougher when making pixel art like you've got in your game. I use Poser to generate the characters in my game and can automate a great deal of it. I'd have gone insane if I had to draw each sprite individually. But I guess there are ways to optimize that as well? Scaling and rotating pixel sprites and stuff?

Its all done by hand, otherwise it wouldn't really be much in the spirit of pixel art Smiley

I suppose if we really wanted to try an optimize it, the best way would be to model everything in a 3D program, export it as images, and then pixel art over the exported frames. However, at that point we would probably just drop pixel art, and have made it with a 3D engine.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »

Yeah, that makes sense. Though Project Zomboid did some interesting stuff with making 3D renderings look like pixel art. Real pixel art (like yours) still looks better though. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Laserbrain Studios
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »

Yeah, that makes sense. Though Project Zomboid did some interesting stuff with making 3D renderings look like pixel art. Real pixel art (like yours) still looks better though. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Hehe cheers! I guess one thing that also helps to set it apart is that none of our art is upscaled. Its all 1:1 pixel at current, unlike what a lot of pixel art games do lately where they target a low resolution and upscale like crazy.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »

Light day, RSI is flaring up again it seems.. But I managed to finish all the Lua stuff, and super basic support for defining items and their graphic IDs. So I can finally start work on the new unit rendering code.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

Hurray! Finished the new isometric unit renderer, and all the data junk to make it work.

That mech is composed of currently 9 items, out of a possible 13 on that frame.

Fede3751
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 27, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

I love this! *-*
Posting so I can get every update!

Keep it up, i like this so much! Smiley
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: October 27, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »

I love this! *-*

Cheers Smiley

So did a bunch of work to prevent items from switching sides/hands and so forth when horizontally flipping a sprite. (Almost no one ever fixes that problem, but its always bugged me like crazy.) So you all get a gif. (Rocket launcher doesn't suddenly flip to the other side as would normally happen, and you see in most games like Ultima Online, etc)

Also yes, colors are off in the gif for some reason slightly Smiley

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: October 27, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »

The movement on the mechs looks way too fast. They have no sense of weight. But slower and it would be annoying for gameplay...  Concerned

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: October 27, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »

The movement on the mechs looks way too fast. They have no sense of weight. But slower and it would be annoying for gameplay...  Concerned

Thanks for the feedback. The gif is sped up a bit more than it should be as well. Exporting at the actual frame rate was going to result in around a 40mb gif apparently. (Or so said gif brewery) I probably should of just you tubed it, but YT quality is always so shitty. Of course gif messed with colors, speed, and players back different depending on browser. Can't win Smiley

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »

I love this! *-*

Cheers Smiley

So did a bunch of work to prevent items from switching sides/hands and so forth when horizontally flipping a sprite. (Almost no one ever fixes that problem, but its always bugged me like crazy.) So you all get a gif. (Rocket launcher doesn't suddenly flip to the other side as would normally happen, and you see in most games like Ultima Online, etc)

Also yes, colors are off in the gif for some reason slightly Smiley

wow, this is looking fantastic
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »

Re-did deployment unit rendering and logic flow to use the new unit renderer.

Reduced 7% cpu usage from std::string down to 1.5% by switching to a sprintf (yeah strings shouldn't be getting used at all really)

Implemented variable delay frame animation support.

Started tweaking the mech animation to be heavier and have less moonwalking. This is really a timing and art adjustment issue. Mech movement speed will be reduced to probably around 1/3rd of current, but the game will feature options to speed up/disable animations for those that don't like them as well.

Also setup a development wiki to document lots of this junk, and did some milestone planning. I'm shooting really to get the initial combat prototype done by the end of the year, but this has a lot of factors in play including more artwork and animation work.

Matt Anderson
Level 0

Chaotic Schemicist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »

Wow, beautiful, beautiful pixels. The world needs more tactics games -- following this one with baited breath. This looks like a faster, more light-hearted, more approachable version of the Front Mission games, which is very exciting.

Mind if I ask, how big is your team on this project?

New - Fall Schematic: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37511.0

www.matthewladdanderson.com
Malifaux 2E, Catball Eats it All, Cobalt Flux
ERIE, Creator and Lead Design
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »

Wow, beautiful, beautiful pixels. The world needs more tactics games -- following this one with baited breath. This looks like a faster, more light-hearted, more approachable version of the Front Mission games, which is very exciting.

Cheers, its interesting how people see different games reflected in ours, its certainly true that Front Mission has come up a few times. Can't say I mind, even if we're no RPG. Smiley

Mind if I ask, how big is your team on this project?

Retromite is just composed of myself and are dashing pixel maestro Kawe. Which I also suppose is why things take so long in ways.

I'm coding both the client, multi-player infrastructure/server, tools, and things like photoshop scripts to boot. Kawe is of course busy with art and animation. On top of that, both of us have gamedev contract jobs as well, to afford to live while making M.I.N.T since we're not making any other commercial games to pay the bills.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »

Continued tweaking mech walk animation.
Started mocking up the in-game hud design to pass on to Kawe for artification. Need to get a hud and smart cursor system in to progress on combat.

nikolail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »

Curious about gUI, are you using inhouse tools / libs ?
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: October 29, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »

Curious about gUI, are you using inhouse tools / libs ?
I'll probably just end up coding it with straight opengl, along with proper art, and writing custom logic.. As much as I despise the idea Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic