Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:10:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 70478 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2014, 01:02:15 PM »

We're still working towards an initial combat ready build. Unless of course you count the original prototype of the game. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vD3e_qAnZj8/UZPqwJ3dhwI/AAAAAAAAA2w/Xijh6gpfd-I/s1600/design.png Smiley

That's a cool paper hack! Dodd you plan the game into fine detail on paper or just broad strokes? I'm a big advocate of the papery approach. Really helps work out bugs before they appear!

Quite a bit was fleshed out in table top land, though of course there are changes going from table top to computer. I guess the best thing simply was the table top version was fun to plays, though that doesn't surprise me really. In the end though, that has allowed us to focus on quality and specific issues, while building the PC version, vs just rushing all over the place to get a playable prototype together.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: February 06, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »

I could easily imagine the hundreds of projects that fail after years of development only to realise the fundamental mechanic just doesn't work.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

I could easily imagine the hundreds of projects that fail after years of development only to realise the fundamental mechanic just doesn't work.

Yeah.. I guess we never had much worry of that. Both of us have been big turn based table top and video game players forever. Personally I miss the days of digging out a dirt lot into an actual city scape, and using 10-12 inch tall Robotech mech models to play BattleTech in Smiley

Though making the right mix of things, balancing it all, and making user interface intuitive, etc are all fun challenges. I'm hopeful to eventually get M.I.N.T into a paid alpha state, and build a dedicated user base during the rest of the development to help shape some of this, and find balance problems.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 21, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »

Haven't heard anything for awhile Sad Hope this is still being worked on!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: March 21, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »

Haven't heard anything for awhile Sad Hope this is still being worked on!

Hey, yeah sorry about the lack of updates around here, and well pretty much everywhere actually. I'm still busy dealing with with my mother having probably 1-2 more months to live tops. I alas haven't been doing any dev since January or so when the diagnosis was handed down. I do plan on resuming M.I.N.T though, once things are all over with.

Cheers

MonsterMMORPG
Level 0

PhD candidate computer engineer - Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: March 21, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

sorry about your mom
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:50:51 AM by MonsterMMORPG » Logged

PhD Candidate Computer Engineer , Indie Game Developer , Developer Of Monster MMORPG , 1,800+ Monsters, 520 Game Maps, Live PvP, Market, MonsterDex and many other features ,  , http://www.monstermmorpg.com
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »

So things are still very screwed up in my life currently, plus Kawe is fleeing Canada back to the great fatherland of Germany in a week, so not a lot has been happening on the M.I.N.T front. I have however, this last week been getting back into it a tiny bit, and fighting the HUD implementation battle.. (So not a good way to get back into it, but whatever.)

This has units and unit's selected weapon rendering into the HUD areas correctly. One nice bit about this is that it uses the actual current unit, so the portrait is accurate to customization.

The data display portion of that pic is incorrect, and is what I've been fiddling with design wise.

I think I've settled on this for the 1st draft that goes into the game. (I expect the GUI and HUD systems to die many terrible deaths at the eventual hands of play testers.)

The HP bar in that would be dynamically sized with 9 likely being a max value, so usually shorter overall.

The weapon's AP might get renamed (Maybe AC for activation cost?), but in general its the action point cost to use the weapon. DP is the weapons's damage and power stats.

Damage/Power isn't really a finalized design, but my current plan is basically damage is the base, while power is essentially armor penetration. Dealt damage is scaled up or down, based on the results of weapon power vs target armor rolls. Thus something like a flame thrower might have a high damage output, but almost no power, rendering it basically useless vs an armored target.

I like the general concept of the system, and what I've tested on paper. It keeps a bit of the random element at work, but tends to be more predictable and logical than just a random damage range. Plus it adds some depth to weapon selection and targeting.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 22, 2014, 02:25:23 AM »

Looks pretty clear to me.

Going into UI work after a long break from gamedev seems pretty masochistic btw.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: April 23, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »

Looks pretty clear to me.

Going into UI work after a long break from gamedev seems pretty masochistic btw.

Hahaha, thanks, and yeah.. though I guess so is C++ and a custom engine and the rest.

Anyways, finished up the data display readout, including the dynamic length HP bar, and a custom font.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »

I like the HUD.  Hand Clap

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: April 28, 2014, 11:02:35 PM »

Me too Hand Thumbs Up Left

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »

So Kawe is back to doing art, and ended up doing more HUD work, and redoing some bits.

I've been working to get this stuff implemented into the game.

Overall trying to get things moving again, life is still a mess, but whatever Smiley

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: May 17, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »

Who converted tigs back to the early 2000's with like 800px wide max forum?

Anyways bit more HUD work going on as always, fullscreen and HD recommended.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »

So I really really really.. really wish we could do this fully.

Alas all those super cool reflections don't quite scale well in terms of labor when your units are completely customizable.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »

Could make the entire front light up from big weapon shots - it wouldn't look quite as good, but you'd be able to use the same flash effect for every big gun.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »

Yeah I was considering trying to script into the animation sequence code commands, to programmatically light up specific parts, but that would still hit entire pieces, vs halves or just fronts and so forth.

Ultimately it probably isn't worth struggling over to much at this point. Need to get gameplay working really heh.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »

So yeah, I'm having problems letting that go.. big surprise.

Animation is about 0.03 slower than it should be for some reason.

Possible code solution for flashes..

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:21:46 PM by Gregg Williams » Logged

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »

Looks a lot better than the ones with no flash.

Talos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2014, 05:56:26 AM »

Any thoughts about bringing MINT to Kickstarter/Indiegogo, or is it still too early for that?
Hythlodaeus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2014, 07:11:36 AM »

Curious about something, any chance you'll open source the engine?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic