Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:44:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 182717 times)
increpare
« Reply #400 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »

I'd really appreciate it if any artist here could share some tips or technique to produce photorealistic art like they use in Hidden Object games. It has always bugging me how could they produce such realistic photo within a short period of time.
Tracing things from google images, lots of photomontage.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »

I'd really appreciate it if any artist here could share some tips or technique to produce photorealistic art like they use in Hidden Object games. It has always bugging me how could they produce such realistic photo within a short period of time.
Tracing things from google images, lots of photomontage.
Thanks! My friend and me have thought of photomontage, but was wondering if there are other ways. For some reasons tracing never cross my mind, but it does make sense.

gamegeek12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »

One kind of tutorial I would love would be something like a basic point and click styled game tutorial, probably for Game maker. Simply for something like basic movement and being able to click in the room on objects and not have the character always trying to move there etc. I've looked all over, but I can't see anything that I could use. If there is any help, I would be extremely grateful! Thanks.
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2012, 02:28:14 AM »

One kind of tutorial I would love would be something like a basic point and click styled game tutorial, probably for Game maker. Simply for something like basic movement and being able to click in the room on objects and not have the character always trying to move there etc. I've looked all over, but I can't see anything that I could use. If there is any help, I would be extremely grateful! Thanks.

Create two objects: a player and an generic object.
Create event of player object
Code:
_mouseIsOverAnObject = false;

Using the above code,
Step event of player object
Code:
if(mouse_check_button(mb_left))
{
    if(!_mouseIsOverAnObject)
    {
        move_towards_point(mouse_x, mouse_y, 5);
    }
}
if(mouse_check_button_released(mb_left))
{
    speed = 0;
}

Mouse Enter event of generic object
Code:
oPlayer._mouseIsOverAnObject = true;
Mouse Leave event of generic object
Code:
oPlayer._mouseIsOverAnObject = false;

Nothing too fancy but this should do what you're describing.

Edit: last line of code was wrong.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:35:51 AM by imaginationac » Logged

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

xhunterko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »

Oh. I missed the part where you wanted it in Gamemaker. But here's one for flash anways:

http://alpacaengine.com/

Snovind
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:49 AM »

A full game tutorial using kivy: http://kivy.org/#home
From the beginning to packaging it for the android store.
ollie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:03 AM »

There's 2 tutorials that I'd find useful at the moment:

Creating and managing hexagon tiles (including how pathfinding differs from square tiles) in AS3

And any electroserver 5 advice/information - ideally in a turn based game between 2 players.

Fairly specific but thought its worth asking  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:50:28 AM by ollie » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #407 on: February 18, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »

Does anyone know how to implement seamless scrolling? Not like go off one side, appear on the other, but something like in 0space's Tunnel level where you don't actually notice the level's edges.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »

I was wondering this too. The best I can think of is that you have basically a screen sized copy of the edges of the level on the opposite side. This way, when the screen reaches the edge of the world, it moves to the appropriate place on the other side. Example:

When you get to the screen on the right, it automatically snaps to the screen on the left, and the world appears to loop. Of course, you would have to sync objects between the two screens. There must be a more correct way to do this, though.

GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »

If you externalize your level data (ie. using your own editor) this would just be a matter of reading the first however many segments of data from the next / previous room. If you are using the GM editor, you can get the object data by running a loop through all rooms in game using a persistent object. Then store the data and read from that to make the extra segments. You only need to do this once when your levels are finalized or updating, so the actual player would simply have the text files with the room data.

Ashkin
« Reply #410 on: February 19, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »

Hmm.. I'm not using GM, though, I'm using Flixel- and the levels are randomly generated. Also, I can't make much sense of your explanation. Concerned
Linc
Level 0

Check It Out Now

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 19, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »

I'd like a tutorial on how to render simple 3d polygons, preferably in C/C++ or Java, or just pseudo code is fine.

-Lincoln Bergeson
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 05, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

I'd like a tutorial on how to render simple 3d polygons, preferably in C/C++ or Java, or just pseudo code is fine.

Using what library/API?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: March 05, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »

Does anyone know how to implement seamless scrolling? Not like go off one side, appear on the other, but something like in 0space's Tunnel level where you don't actually notice the level's edges.

If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, you could render the opposite side of the map at the far edges, ie. you are at the edge on the right so you seamlessly start drawing the left side of the map.

When the player goes over this edge and off the map, just subtract the level size from the player's position and the camera's position so they teleport to the other side whilst the image on screen looks the same. I've done something similar before and it works fine, just a bit fiddly with corners of the map, so you'd have to draw the left, top, top-left etc.

xhunterko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »

@ashkin You are looking for this: http://forums.flixel.org/index.php?topic=3326.0

Also, I was wondering if anybody could make a simple flixel game and do a tutorial on how to purchase it with paypal's instant purchase notification system. Like 'The Fantastic Contraption' does here: http://forums.flixel.org/index.php?topic=3326.0

I asked him about it and I don't think I got enough to do any real implementation. A hard example would be nice. If anything, barring the database requirements, it could be used for iap purchases in games too (like farmville-clones and the like). I think that alone would help a lot of people out. Plus I can't find much on the net either. Thanks in advance!

I do remember now that I've probably asked this before in this same forum. I'll try and see if it's been answered elsewhere. Thanks though!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:12:02 PM by xhunterko » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »

@ashkin You are looking for this: http://forums.flixel.org/index.php?topic=3326.0
I can't decipher any of this code Tired
Can anyone help me find the scrolling part? Not sure it's what I need, though...

If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, you could render the opposite side of the map at the far edges, ie. you are at the edge on the right so you seamlessly start drawing the left side of the map.

When the player goes over this edge and off the map, just subtract the level size from the player's position and the camera's position so they teleport to the other side whilst the image on screen looks the same. I've done something similar before and it works fine, just a bit fiddly with corners of the map, so you'd have to draw the left, top, top-left etc.

This is interesting. However, I don't think I have enough understanding of the FlxTilemap class to be able to do all of the rendering stuff.
Linc
Level 0

Check It Out Now

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

Using what library/API?

Eh, I posted about it and got my question more or less answered. Thanks anyways!  Smiley

-Lincoln Bergeson
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »

I would love some tutorials on the ins and outs of level design (particularly for platforming games, beat-em-ups and the like). As in, best practices for backgrounds, tilesets, platforms, layouts, sizes...the whole shebang. There are so many tuts out there for coding, sprite design, animation and the like but the act of building game environments for your games to take place in seems to be a glossed-over or even ignored subject, unless there's a resource out there somewhere I don't know of (which is, of course, highly likely).

I plan to use Game Maker, so tuts specific to that software would be preferred.
cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 17, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »

I have been searching for game tutorials for facebook but haven't found any. Can anyone post good tutorial links here? Thanks!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: March 18, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »

cubertron: You'll probably want to look up Java, Flash, FlashPunk, or Flixel tuts for that. 99% of fb games are Flash or Java.

I'd like to see something about making and managing inventory systems.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic