Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 03:34:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAfrocorn
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Afrocorn  (Read 1106 times)
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »

Link to play: http://www.graemeborland.com/gamecontent/afrocorn/
Controls are on the page.

Hello! This is Afrocorn, a 2-player arcade-style mug-pushing fantasy bar brawler I've been working on with 5 other people bit by bit over the last few months. It's being built for the Winnitron (http://winnitron.ca/), so it's intended to be played with the controls of the arcade cabinet with 2 people. As such, the keyboard controls are a little odd, but still totally usable! Just keep the intended presentation in mind when playing..

We just put out this small demo to get some first impressions and early feedback. It only includes the first level and doesn't have any audio yet. We're quite far along with the art since the team is really artist-heavy, but the game is still far from finished.

Anyway, we're mostly looking for feedback on how the different actions feel when you do them (pushing mugs, saving red mugs, charging your pushes etc), and what kind of audio you think would fit well with this kind of game as we have yet to start writing music. We are open to all kinds of crits and suggestions at this point as we're still early in development, please let us know what you think!
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »

fun game. some sound effects and music would be awesome
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »

The art is great. I think it is quite fun to play. When I played the first time a lot of the mugs weren't within reach so I didn't have much to push, I played again and it seemed better it must have just been luck that things kept falling out of reach. (Also I was playing by myself so didn't have someone else pushing things back which would have probably made it more fun).

I felt like I wanted to be able to aim where I was trying to push without waiting for things to be within reach. That said, I imagine it would be a bit more frantic with two people playing, so it may just complicate things a little.

All the best with the rest of development.  Beer!

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »

Might be fun if I could find someone to play with but using WASD with ZX is really really uncomfortable though  Concerned

Also, the game feels so random I don't really know what's going on. I like the graphic and the presentation though but a short graphical tutorial before entering the game would really help.

Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »

Great potential, would love to see this and more in a cabinet!

I think suggo may have had a similar experience to ours the first round where we didn't realise that you could move your character around. Or we might be alone in our slow uptakes Durr...?

I also feel that it can get a bit too random at times, but I think a lot could be improved with more feedback on exactly who is gaining points/losing items on their side - especially on the "top" and "bottom" area of the table, and we didn't really get a good feel for the "blocking", which felt like it mostly just froze items that were teetering on the edge for half a second, and then they fell anyways?
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

This is great, I love the goofy vibe of it. It's carried through really well. The drunken camera moving is great. The "bonus" round of throwing the glasses was the icing on the cake. I was hoping it kept continuing with more events from there.

Awesome work! This is inspiring. With some great sound design, this would be totally stellar.

FloatingCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:03:23 AM »

LOL, when I first opened this thread and saw the unicorns with afros, I thought "Um, OK, whatever" and almost hit close. Then I stared at it for a second, then I started to smile. Then I laughed out loud, then I had to play the game! Weird... So I guess the art is catchy anyway, even to someone not normally into that sort of thing.

The game play I didn't really get, but I'm sure that will come along with time, the cabinet, and two players. I just really felt like I didn't get what was going on. Even after reading the instructions, I played again and still didn't really get when to push glasses, etc. It seemed I could use one set of keys to move when beside the table, but then I went to far down towards the bottom, and the keys switched? I guess that would make more sense with a joystick.

Anyway, good job, the art sucked me in and made me laugh. Thanks.
graebor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

Thanks a lot everybody, a lot of good points for us to address as we continue working on this. Seems like the main thing is that it's simply not explained clearly enough how to play and that it's tough to just pick up and learn, which is fair since this demo lacks any kind of tutorial/guidance polish. We've got a few ideas on how to get players started without being too intrusive Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic