Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411917 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 11, 2024, 01:13:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames you can't remember the names of
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Games you can't remember the names of  (Read 388735 times)
Meatsack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1120 on: August 08, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »

This is probably the best place to ask this:

I'm wanting to know the name of an early-70's arcade game.  It was an actual video game, not a shooting gallery game. I remember an 8-color screen (not 8 bits... 8 colors!) of a hunter (yellow) that could move in and out of a blind (also yellow) to shoot at animals.  There was a tree (brown trunk and green leaves).  Occasionally animals would run across the screen, and you tried to line up your gun on screen to shoot them before they ran into your character. 

I've checked online and my Google-fu's not shabby.  I want to know what this game is called as it's the first one I ever remember seeing.  Anyone?

Writer, Game Maker, Day-Dreamer... 
The current project is Super Gunball DEMO
cykninja
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 12, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »

Hey guys Smiley

So the game I am trying to track down is a

Platform: Arcade cabinet
Playstyle: vertical scrolling
Genre: space shooter
Year: 80's?
Description:

From what I remember it was a lot like many other space shooters like Xenon but what stood out was how cool the power-ups were. Powerups that you received were coloured differently and when you gathered multiple powerups of the same colour your beam would become stronger.

The default one was a bullet (maybe red), there was a lightning one that would latch onto enemies and was was quite powerful and when you powered up it was larger and more powerful.

Anyway there was a trick to the first level. You could sit at the bottom center of the screen and every enemy and bullet would miss you (except for 1 randomly I think).

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1122 on: August 12, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »

Hey guys Smiley

So the game I am trying to track down is a

Platform: Arcade cabinet
Playstyle: vertical scrolling
Genre: space shooter
Year: 80's?
Description:

From what I remember it was a lot like many other space shooters like Xenon but what stood out was how cool the power-ups were. Powerups that you received were coloured differently and when you gathered multiple powerups of the same colour your beam would become stronger.

The default one was a bullet (maybe red), there was a lightning one that would latch onto enemies and was was quite powerful and when you powered up it was larger and more powerful.

Anyway there was a trick to the first level. You could sit at the bottom center of the screen and every enemy and bullet would miss you (except for 1 randomly I think).

raiden ?

I'm wanting to know the name of an early-70's arcade game.  It was an actual video game, not a shooting gallery game. I remember an 8-color screen (not 8 bits... 8 colors!) of a hunter (yellow) that could move in and out of a blind (also yellow) to shoot at animals.  There was a tree (brown trunk and green leaves).  Occasionally animals would run across the screen, and you tried to line up your gun on screen to shoot them before they ran into your character.  

I've checked online and my Google-fu's not shabby.  I want to know what this game is called as it's the first one I ever remember seeing.  Anyone?
sorry this one is really too obscure for me

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1123 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »

I'm wanting to know the name of an early-70's arcade game.  It was an actual video game, not a shooting gallery game. I remember an 8-color screen (not 8 bits... 8 colors!) of a hunter (yellow) that could move in and out of a blind (also yellow) to shoot at animals.  There was a tree (brown trunk and green leaves).  Occasionally animals would run across the screen, and you tried to line up your gun on screen to shoot them before they ran into your character. 

I've checked online and my Google-fu's not shabby.  I want to know what this game is called as it's the first one I ever remember seeing.  Anyone?
Sounds like Sheriff or its remake, Sheriff 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff_(video_game)

cykninja
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »

raiden ?

Nah not Raiden. It was strictly set in space as far as I remember.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: August 12, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »

Sounds like Truxton.

yarlesp
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »

hi, I've got one for yall.

it was a game that wasn't finished yet when I played it a few months ago. you land in the new world and have to travel around and deal with animals and indians and explore stuff... the key things I remember about it is that both animals and indians communicated with the player via a glyph system, as in, you would come across a bear/indian and it would say something like "%" and "%" would mean "aggression" and you would gradually learn what certain glyphs meant over time. also it was tile-based and had retro style graphics. sorry if that isn't specific enough. I can't remember where I saw it

edit: nevermind, found it. I actually saw it here, believe it or not. http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25699.0 durr.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:15:29 AM by yarlesp » Logged
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: August 16, 2013, 06:40:49 AM »

Heh, I read your post and thought it sounds eerily familiar. Glad you found it. The communication thing isn't yet implemented though.

Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:46 AM »

A pretty abstract mix of shooter and climbing. I played it a lot on my old Windows 98 computer in late 2004.
You played as this small square ship and used the arrow keys to navigate, shooting fire from your ship as you did so. The fire ate away at the black walls that blocked your way, so you could burn them away and get through, and up. if you touched them or the bottom of the screen (I think there was gravity) you died.

Here's a mockup:

@optriromini
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: August 22, 2013, 01:10:52 AM »

I have two games that I've been looking for for years. I think I originally ran across both of them on some topgamesomething.com site (can't remember exactly, only that I used to visit it a lot). I believe this must've been almost 10 years ago.

Game one:

I can't even remember if it was in-browser or downloadable, but I am leaning to DL. It was a top down Risk-like MMO with what I believe were dynamically generated maps. You would be assigned a color and a very small territory when you started, and usually you were surrounded by other people's territories. The game would mostly consist of clicking to capture other people's territories, but you could also research various tech, build fortresses, etc.  This was all in real time, so you could see people capturing each other's land around you as you played.  There was a chat room at the bottom of the window. The game had a free and paid version, but I'm not sure what the benefits of paid were. I'm looking for that specific game, not other Risk clones - there was just something different about this one. Any ideas?

Game two:

PHP browser game...you're a lord or lady I believe and rule your kingdom by setting taxes etc. One of the most interesting parts was that you could have knights, joust them and such, and then send them away to marry other players' daughters. It was mostly all text based, but there was a small section where you saw a 2D map of your location and could send search parties and armies out to explore/attack nearby players.

Nare
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 22, 2013, 07:18:56 AM »

Hi, I'm looking for a game that I used to play in the late 90's. It was about a couple of blonde little kids that had to plant flower seeds in some sort of maze. There were evil caracters that "ate" the flowers and to kill them you had to drop banana peels on the floor. To pass the level you had to plant every seed. I think it was a DOS game, but I'm not sure...
I know my description is vague, but I can't remember any detail, sorry =/
Thanks!
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 22, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »

Liza, I'm not sure about first, but isn't second Kingdom of Loathing?

Nare, From description it may be that this game ran on Wolf3D, Doom's or Build engine. Check on sites where games made with those engines (and mods such as custom WADs which also may be the case) are listed, maybe you'll find it.

//edit: Can anyone identify game I'm looking for? To recap, it was 6DOF shooter, you were pilot of some sort of plane and your main ammunition (I think, there might be minigun or something, but I've used this anyway) were self-guided missiles. It also had very little of hood and one of following (though there were straight lines in game) is my attempt at recreating game's crosshair (which was either "shitty" shade of brown or xored).

Here's quick paint mockup how crosshair looked like (or at least how I've remembered it):

Or perhaps it was mix between those.

It was mostly earth-like mountain side with occasional lake terrain, or just maybe first few levels, I don't think I got very far, that's one of reasons I'm looking for it.

If my memory serves me right, when you got hit and headed down to earth, it would pop into third person view making very cool death animation of flaming plane which explodes afterwards.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:12:22 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »

Definitely not Kingdom of Loathing, darkhog, but you've just reminded me to play that.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 23, 2013, 02:19:02 AM »

I can't even remember if it was in-browser or downloadable, but I am leaning to DL. It was a top down Risk-like MMO with what I believe were dynamically generated maps. You would be assigned a color and a very small territory when you started, and usually you were surrounded by other people's territories. The game would mostly consist of clicking to capture other people's territories, but you could also research various tech, build fortresses, etc.  This was all in real time, so you could see people capturing each other's land around you as you played.  There was a chat room at the bottom of the window. The game had a free and paid version, but I'm not sure what the benefits of paid were. I'm looking for that specific game, not other Risk clones - there was just something different about this one. Any ideas?
sounds a lot like The General: http://www.thegamehippo.com/game/180
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: August 23, 2013, 02:51:23 AM »

I can't even remember if it was in-browser or downloadable, but I am leaning to DL. It was a top down Risk-like MMO with what I believe were dynamically generated maps. You would be assigned a color and a very small territory when you started, and usually you were surrounded by other people's territories. The game would mostly consist of clicking to capture other people's territories, but you could also research various tech, build fortresses, etc.  This was all in real time, so you could see people capturing each other's land around you as you played.  There was a chat room at the bottom of the window. The game had a free and paid version, but I'm not sure what the benefits of paid were. I'm looking for that specific game, not other Risk clones - there was just something different about this one. Any ideas?
sounds a lot like The General: http://www.thegamehippo.com/game/180

Holy crap I think this may actually be it. I will look at it properly at home tonight to make sure, but if that's the case you have just made my month. You have no idea how long I've been looking for this game!

(Edit: However I'm not certain what the multiplayer here is like...I remember it being an MMO-like game and I believe it was real time, so now I'm not quite sure that's it from the sound of the description. I'll try it out.)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 23, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »

i don't actually know what the online multiplayer is like, i only ever played it either alone or with friends on the same pc. definitely one of my most played freeware games from *back then* though.

EDIT: found this site if you wanna try the online MP: http://akasoft.genliga.ru/
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 24, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

A pretty abstract mix of shooter and climbing. I played it a lot on my old Windows 98 computer in late 2004.

I think this game is "Spout": http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,312

Sadly I can't find a link to the Windows/SDL version. Here's a Unix version: http://njw.me.uk/spout/

It's a good game Smiley
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: August 24, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »

That wasn't my question, but I totally knew the game that they were talking about but I couldn't remember it either. That's totally it.

Reiken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 25, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »

One game I've always wanted to play again was one I rented when I was little... It was a Super Nintendo game and turn based strategy. Players built bases on their islands and produce units like mechs and tanks or cruise missiles then they would attack each other..

I'm sure that describes a million and a half games but hey. It's a game I can't remember the name of. :p
KevinJBV
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 25, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »

Ok here is my first one:

The game has a resident evil 1/2/3 survival horror atmosphere.
    The first level is in a train, i remember a snowy cutscene as an intro
    The protagonist is a soldier or special agent of some sorts with a green suit and a kevlar
    The game was 3D with fixed camera angles.
    The first enemies where some guys with gas masks.
    Also that Resident evil feel of "examine" something where everything froozes.

Basically... it was really like resident evil but with people and guns...like, Dino crisis kind of game.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic