Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:45:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCatcher! (Now with procedural backgrounds & more!)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Catcher! (Now with procedural backgrounds & more!)  (Read 16864 times)
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »

It's been a few months since the last update. I spent the months working on interesting prototypes and experimental installations, but now I finally have time again to come back to Catcher!

I also visited the AMAZE Indie Festival in Berlin and got lots of great feedback that I used to improve this build.

Changelist

• New procedural background
  • Made level transitions more fluid
  • Tweaked movement and net opening/closing
  • Replaced A-F rating with stars
  • Added a score malus for death
  • Added a particle mouse cursor ingame
  • Capped player ships at screen border
  • Improved "Sector Clear" screen
  • Improved rocket visibility
  • Improved level progression
  • Improved tutorial
  • Improved feedback
  • Fixed several bugs, including net collision problems with fast-moving enemies

The New Procedural Background

Since the last time, I picked up generative art to make interesting backgrounds. After a lot of experiments, I finally settled for a background that looks similar to the old one, but more interesting and with more dashes of color - and because it's procedural, it will always look different.

Appearing animations!

Another thing that changed is that enemies now have appearing animations! Instead of just suddenly being there, they are now generated out of particles:

Latest Playable Versions

Play it in your browser*!
(*If you have the Unity Web Player and a browser that doesn't hate the Unity plugin.)

Adopt a desktop version!
Windows
Linux
Mac

Note that while the web version is always up to date,
the desktop versions don't automatically update.

And the future brings...

My seers have scried deep into the future. They say that the next things I will work on are:
  • Prototyping and testing of two new game modes
  • Experiments with limited net count
  • Improved sound effects
  • Rework the whole ingame and menu UI
  • Be super successful on Steam Greenlight

I didn't plan to do that, but they say they get tremendous headaches if I don't do what they see, so eh... I guess that's what I'll be doing now. See you soonish, and if you have any feedback, it's very welcome!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:58:11 PM by TobiasW » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »

Remember seeing a gif of this in the gif thread a long time ago but hadn't realised there was a devlog for it.

Just tried the game and enjoyed playing through it. The neon visuals worked really well and the unique enemy design and variety was a nice gameplay element. Got up to the white enemies level and found it quite a challenge. Also tried submitting my scores but it kept saying "Couldn't submit all scores." and asking me to try again but every time I did it just kept failing.

TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »

Well, glad you found your way here now! And yeah, the Ravens can be difficult beasts. You've barely seen any variety though! The levels up to the Ravens feature relatively mild and thereby same-y enemies.

Thanks for reporting the problem with the score submission. Did it submit some (they turn green then) or none at all?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2016, 02:14:28 AM »

Just tried again and they still didn't go through. All red no green.

TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »

Web/Windows/Mac/Linux? And does http://dragonlab.de work for you?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:32 AM »

Sorry should have given more details. It was the windows version and I'm using windows 10 but could just be my laptop. Site also works fine for me.

TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me! I added it to my bug list - maybe I can reproduce it at some point. (Although ultimately I'm looking for a proper highscore provider service to use instead of my own server - that one is too slow for something like that.)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic