Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:05:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKODAMA - 2D Hand Painted Physics platformer - KICKSTARTING
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: KODAMA - 2D Hand Painted Physics platformer - KICKSTARTING  (Read 16117 times)
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 09:33:45 AM »

Update 4

This updates been a few days in coming, I'm currently out of the country so doing Kodama things isn't as easy as it was before.

Anyway, today I did a quick test of an ougane 大鐘 (Great Bell) and a Shumoku (special Clapper for this kind of bell, essentially its a log on ropes) together.

Its far from perfect, the physics will take a while to get right, especially for the rope, and the movement code for Kodama pulling the log needs sorting out too. but essentially speaking, Kodama is able to pull the shumoku(clapper) back and ram it into the bell, this will actually serve a gameplay purpose of course.

Quick gif to show the shumoku layer being turned on and how the phyics are instantly applied, not perfect as I said but good. I'll be making the vines on the log use vine physics too, so they move about when the object does, instead of sitting stiff as a statue

Bare in mind that this scene, unlike all the others so far, isn't actually from the game itself, its just a small test, thats why the scale is all skewed.

And an additional gif of Kodama bowing to say thankyou to all the interested forum members.

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 04:27:13 AM »

Update 5

Hey Guys

So its been a few days without updates whilst I've been darting about Europe.

I've my final flight tonight and then I'll be in a single place for at least a month, which means progress can skyrocket again!

With this update I thought I'd show 2 maps, 1 is made by the very talented Chris Wills and the other, is made by me, and still is only around 60% finished... the shapes are there just the colouring and shading and other elements such as towns, trees, crops, etc etc still need adding in. Currently its pretty damned Patchy.

Opinions welcome as always.

Map by Chris (completed)

Map by me (60% Completed)

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 06:07:26 AM »

Okei so this one isn't really an update, more of a higher res of something shown before, working better than it was before.

Not sure about everyone else, but as a 3D Artist I really love to see wireframe overlays of things, so I figured I'd do it with Kodama too, of course its 2d, but you're able to see what things are different objects and what things aren't.

Normal:

Wireframe Overlay.
YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »

Can't wait to see some gameplay of this game

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »

Can't wait to see some gameplay of this game

Update: 6

So I thought I'd post an update with a video for once, this video isn't final, there are still a few little things I want to fix up in this area first, but I'm ramping up to film the areas for the kickstarter at the moment.

So here we go, footage from whats probably the most basic puzzle in the game, and doesn't require you to be strong or weak, instead this can be performed at Kodama's normal strength level.

Really hoping I'd be able to embed a video here... Nope, sorry everyone, you'll have to go to the link provided T___T

Note: There are a few artifacts in here still
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:23:16 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »

this looks really good. especially the jumping animation makes me happy while watching (:
i guess the walking animation could be kinda faster or the movement speed a tick slower - now its looking like he is gliding a bit.

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »

this looks really good. especially the jumping animation makes me happy while watching (:
i guess the walking animation could be kinda faster or the movement speed a tick slower - now its looking like he is gliding a bit.

Hey.

Wow thanks, pleased it makes you happy.

The walking animation does indeed need fixing, I actually plan to redo all the animations as a mix of traditional animation + 2D Bone based animation, that way it would accommodate nicely for things like hills and other uneven surfaces, plus enable me to have Kodama reach out when in close proximity to interactive objects such as ropes. Thats still a way off though honestly, but something I would like to do, it will depend on how the kickstarter goes really, if that goes well then I'd love to.
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »

Small update:

As some of you may know I'm putting together things for the Kodama kickstarter, which is why I haven't updated this devlog for a week.

I don't want to go ahead and show all the things I'll be using in the kickstarter video just yet, however I'll show this, its still a work in progress, a few things to cleanup but the overall look I'm going for is achieved, sorry the gif is so small, imgur doesn't like gifs over 2mb.

Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

Hey there!
Glad you liked my idea in the game pitch thread. I got here from your post there :}

This is a pretty fierce idea. I really like the character animations so far, esp. the near death ones.  Coffee I'm curious as to what the transitions are as the character enters a different state.

I'm looking to use rope physics in my game, and yours look super rad. Would you be willing to share some insight, by any chance?

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »

Hey there!
Glad you liked my idea in the game pitch thread. I got here from your post there :}

Haha, no problem. Seriously though if you wanted to turn that into a little 1-2 hour bit of RPG fun, I'd be up for modelling on that

When posting in that topic I actually decided it might be wise to make my signature, and it worked, someone actually saw it and came over.

This is a pretty fierce idea. I really like the character animations so far, esp. the near death ones.  Coffee I'm curious as to what the transitions are as the character enters a different state.

Thanks, the near death ones are actually my fav ones, especially the soaked(fat) Kodama.
I was hoping this devlog would get a lot more traffic, but I hadn't been counting on other people posting some other fantastic games, seriously, some of the devlog works are awesome.

The transitions are interesting, they're still a little buggy right now so so i won't post them for a while, but there no 'special' transition state, if you step into shallow water, dripping water, or sunlight whilst walking, theres a set amount of time before you switch state, currently the states rather 'pop', as you can transition during almost any animation, walking, idle, swinging (there is actually a puzzle or 2 which specifically requires you be swinging), however 'in air' animations aren't supported, I know I can do but honestly it will look a bit odd as the different states jump different heights and have slightly different animations in air, so that will pop annoyingly.

When I go over and redo the animations with 2D bones the transitions will be smooth as soap, or at least the theory I have for it should be, I haven't tested it just yet so it might not work at all... and then I shall be very sad.

I'm looking to use rope physics in my game, and yours look super rad. Would you be willing to share some insight, by any chance?

Ah here you go:

My physics are a slightly tweaked version of this this.

Theres a webdemo on there too, you'll want to grab it before he ups the price bigtime for the added water physics stuff.
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »

Update 7

Hey guys, its been a while since the last update, I sent out a trailer that was not very well received, so I'm remaking that now for the kickstarter.

Other changes in Kodama have really just been behind the scenes, very little cosmetic touches made, that said here are some gifs of the few visual things that have changed.

The shadow now works correctly:

State transition gif:
Here you can see Kodama changed from his most water logged state to his most sun dried state. The gif is about 5-6 seconds long in total.
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 06:00:41 AM »

<3

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »

I should have noted that the soaked Kodama (blue one) doing the jump with the shadow, has in that gif an annoying slightly white outline, since then I've fixed this however, a few sprites had such issues and I've fixed them all now, took a long time and was hugely tedious but worth it.
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »

Kodama is now kickstarting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1125338008/kodama

The responses in this thread have been great and I'll be updating things here along with in the kickstarter itself regularly, I just had to take a break whilst putting together things for the Kickstarter itself.

Appreciate all the past and future support from all of you.
Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »

Good luck with your KS!

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »

Hey, well done on getting a RPS article.

We actually talked on the unity forum before about this project.
Glad it's all coming together for you.

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 09:19:49 AM »

Hey, well done on getting a RPS article.

We actually talked on the unity forum before about this project.
Glad it's all coming together for you.

The world is a small place, even on the internet.
Thanks for the support, really appreciate it.
mdkiehl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »

I'm really loving the interactivity of the world and the character. Reminds me a little of Catacomb kids in that sense (in terms of cause and effect being a strong element in the game). Are you familiar with that? (http://kck.st/1i3ljK3)

We are hoping to bring more of that kind of cause and effect into The Land of Eyas. (http://kck.st/OGdgZD)

I'm really looking forward to playing this!
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 03:41:21 AM »

I'm really loving the interactivity of the world and the character. Reminds me a little of Catacomb kids in that sense (in terms of cause and effect being a strong element in the game). Are you familiar with that? (http://kck.st/1i3ljK3)

We are hoping to bring more of that kind of cause and effect into The Land of Eyas. (http://kck.st/OGdgZD)

I'm really looking forward to playing this!

Hey, thanks for the kind words, I don't know Catacomb Kids no, looks interesting, however, without meaning to sound a little rude, I don't think its good etiquette to post a link to your own kickstarter in someone elses devlog.

Just thought I'd mention it incase a developer someone got really offended by it (some devs do, some don't care and so on. You did it to relate as a developer, and it worked for me, so I see nothing wrong with it.

But please don't consider removing it, your game looks good, I'm more than happy for it to stay there. ^__^
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:48:46 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »

You've got email

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic