Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:19:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Bear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]  (Read 40415 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »

Thanks everyone! I know there's not much to do except look at gifs at the moment, but I'll try to have a demo out before too long. Before that, though, I will be without internet for an undetermined period of time, which may or may not prove a massive boon to my development speed. Seriously, I have no idea how long it'll be, but I'm kind of looking forward to not constantly distracting myself Roll Eyes

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2014, 02:16:42 PM »

I would play a demo... just sayin

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »

I only lost internet for part of a day, but I was waiting for the right time to update. Now's the time!

All that map stuff is placeholder, except the tiles. Making the map hud show real info is probably my next target.

On to the noteworthy stuff, bad bears are back, with much better AI and ritual masks. Bad bears will chase you ruthlessly to the ends of the earth, but they have low health so they can be dispatched quickly. They have a spellcaster variation as well, but those proved too difficult for area 1. On a side note: I knocked off that bad bear's mask with a cross-up attack, but it stays on all the time otherwise.

The player's color now varies in a nice range - In previous incarnations, it varied on a hue-saturation-value scale, meaning I was missing out on the much-desired lighter spectrum of colors. I managed to convert them to HSL, and I think having minty-colored bears was worth the trouble.

Also, you may have noticed me furtively investigating that boulder in the corner. Silly flavor text has long been a staple of the B-Air universe, so there are now some midground objects to take a peek at, if you so desire.

Eyes of the Gods
I also wrote a song! For a forest-shrine-maybe area. More info on that when I figure it out for myself Tongue

Other stuff:
Another bad bear fight
A spellcasting bad bear (going to have a different mask and cast a different spell eventually)
A glitch for multitaskers
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:04:23 AM by Glyph » Logged

Sarge
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »

I'd play the crap out of a demo.  Looks fun.

[TWEETER]
If it is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
Savick
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

Oh, god, I dismissed this as having graphics that were too simple for my standards at first. But after seeing that gif on the post above I want to play this so hard.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2014, 02:47:59 AM »

"opulent boulder"

Oh my
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »

Yeah, things are looking pretty cool so far. I like the separate overworld and combat screens

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »

It's looking so polished already! Keep up the amazing work! Also did you somehow skin that squirrel-like enemy and a darker version of yourself popped out of it??

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2014, 09:04:55 PM »

It's looking so polished already! Keep up the amazing work! Also did you somehow skin that squirrel-like enemy and a darker version of yourself popped out of it??

They're the bad bears! They look just like a normal bear but wear copper masks, which can be removed by hitting them while they're confused.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »

Thank you, everyone! I am working hard towards a demo, but I've still got some fences to leap before I'm there. I'm getting closer every day though, and I finally got the main loop going (fight, get treasure, gorge self on apples, repeat):

http://i.imgur.com/QdSfTi9.gifv

If this gif is too large, let me know and I'll link it instead Edit: linked. I was trying to go as fast as I could, which isn't usually a good idea Tongue I wanted to do a quick video so I could get the audio along with it, but I don't know of any free video capture software that can capture pixel-perfect (blurry pixels suck!). Next time.

Anyway, the next objective is relics, since treasure rooms don't reward you with anything yet. I know I'm slow, but stay tuned!

The 'Count': 105 sprites, 61 objects, and 74 sound effects! Oh, and 79 scripts, if that matters to anyone.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:15:04 AM by Glyph » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

What's your platform?

On Macs, quicktime has a built-in screencapture these days.

On Linux, SimpleScreenRecorder

On Windows, Screen Capture Recorder might do the trick, if you tweak the FFMPEG settings just right.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »

OBS is the best from my experience, though I haven't tried Screen Capture Recorder. It seems like that rewrite they were working on has gotten to the stage where it works for Mac OS X, which is awesome. Pretty sure FRAPS and Bandicam might have a fight on their hands!

If you're looking for a little tutorial on recording pixel-perfect recordings with OBS,

. At the end is a video of Pink Hour recorded using OBS, and it's pixel-perfect.

Anyway, this continues to look really, really cool and polished! Will there be more exploration rooms, or will they all be relatively small, as they are here?

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

Thanks for the advice - I'm gonna take a look into getting a video recorded right away, then. I'm on Windows by the way.

Anyway, this continues to look really, really cool and polished! Will there be more exploration rooms, or will they all be relatively small, as they are here?
Thank you! The plan is to keep the battle rooms kind of small so that it doesn't get overwhelming, and smaller rooms are generally better for aesthetics and keeping the gameplay tighter. I think there will end up being a couple large treasure rooms in the future though, but they'll have to be carefully designed to look nice still.
On a somewhat related note, I also played with the concept of 'puzzle house' treasure rooms that involve pushing blocks to get the treasure, and made a few, but I think if I used them in the end then they'd show up exceedingly rarely.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »

OBS is the best from my experience, though I haven't tried Screen Capture Recorder.
Oooh, haven't seen that one before. Thanks!
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »

OBS worked great, and I'll definitely be using it in the future. When it came to uploading the video to YouTube though -- it slaughtered the quality and removed the sound. Maybe it's mistaking the OST for copyrighted stuff? Anyway, more hoops to jump through, and I'd rather spend my time working on the game, so no video just yet.

Behemoths will be a new medium/hard-tier enemy for the caves and ruins. They're pretty easy to 'matador' but they hit like a truck, so caution is recommended.

Also, I think I'm going to make Skeloses not collide with jump-through ground, since that makes them consistently get trapped in the topmost zone of any given level. I want my Skeloses to be free to roam (and potentially more dangerous), so now they'll float past everyone's favorite semi-solid. Only time will tell if I'll keep the change, though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:16:12 AM by Glyph » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2014, 06:52:04 AM »

@Job - No problem! Don't remember where I heard of OBS before, but I'm super glad something cross-platform came around for video recording.

@Glyph - Hmm, that's odd. If the video sounded fine before, it should sound fine now. Did you check back on the video? Sometimes it's just in 240p at the beginning, and then it gets the higher qualities. Not sure about the lack of sound, though.

That looks like an interesting enemy to fight, and something that'd be really challenging to fight with other enemies around, too!

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

Okay, I finally got OBS working and made a video!

The quality kind of got killed in the upload, but I'm no YouTube wiz so I gave up on trying to fix it. Anyway, give the video a watch, there's plenty of new stuff to see in there. You can even see me die in what I can only call a grave underestimation of my bear's girth, and said bear's ability to move that mass below its opponents.

Lith will be on vacation for two weeks, so there probably won't be any visual progress for a while. I will still have plenty to do, though, and plenty of time with which to do it. The pause menu is my next target, and then maybe some shops to spend your gold on. Of course, I also have to design and implement gods to follow as well... Well, hello there!

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »

GREAT WORK!
That looks so awesome, it looks very addictive to play!
whtrbt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »

The timing for the mage(?) attack and player dodging looks like it will work well - 'simple, but don't get careless' sort of gameplay.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »

This looks really interesting.  I'd like to try it out, but something is unappealing about "playing the old version".  Are you going to put up the latest soon?  If so, I'd like to wait.  What's the reason for not putting the latest up? 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic