Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 12:07:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Wishgranter - Procedural Action Roguelike - Greenlit!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Wishgranter - Procedural Action Roguelike - Greenlit!  (Read 10777 times)
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:31:50 AM »

The Wishgranter is an Action Dungeon crawler inspired by Classic Legend Of Zelda, the Souls series & traditional Roguelikes with a focus on Replay-ability, Challenging Combat & an Engaging Non-linear Story.

Various heroes, fallen in battle & finding themselves resurrected in a town with no entrance or exit. A mysterious entity know only as the Wishgranter promises freedom and life in exchange for retrieving ancient relics from a depths below. Play as such heroes with no choice but to explore countless Dangerous Dungeons on a quest to get back to the real world and uncover the mysteries of the Wishgranter!

Currently in development for Windows PC.

Features:

• Procedurally Generated Dungeons - Created with a mix of Hand-crafted Challenge & Treasure rooms as well as Procedurally Generated Rooms - No Dungeon is ever the same!
  • Strategic Combat - Skill based combat, Limited Resources and Unforgiving Enemies make you think twice about how you approach a fight.
  • Permadeath - Once you die in battle, your hero is lost forever, Leaving you with a new hero, Unskilled & Unequipped.
  • External Progression - With each hero's progress in the dungeons, The Town & story are progressed as well as changing the Dungeons themselves!
  • Endless Loot - Procedurally Generated Weapons, Armor, Potions and much much more!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:45:52 AM by Luka Parascandalo » Logged

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »

Here are some generator gifs! These are taken from the in-game generator that is basically just there for testing purposes because it allows me to see whats really happening. What you’re seeing there is basically dungeon floors being generated based on custom parameters. When the development mode is off this is done automatically and with random parameters obviously.

Each square is a room and here are color descriptions:

Red - completely random room with random width and height
    Blue - Start Room
    Pink - Preset Room, a room is called from a pool of handcrafted rooms
    Green - A Preset Room which is locked

The layout is generated by connecting rooms (like in binding of isaac) but with each room being completely randomized to hopefully create dungeons reminiscent of the ones in the good old zelda games. I will post more later on this week about in-room generation (item and enemy placement etc etc). Cya!

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:12 AM »

Hey Everyone! These past few weeks I implemented a trigger system to be used mainly in the preset rooms and a little in procedurally generated rooms. In the case of procedurally generated rooms it is used in events like the exits from a room closing until all the enemies are defeated, or triggering traps when a chest is opened. In the preset rooms it is used to do cool stuff with lighting, enemies traps and more!

The way it works is that there are basically two kinds of objects: Trigger objects (chests, switches etc) and Triggerable Objects (enemies, traps, lights and everything else). When I am creating a preset room I simply link Triggerable Objects to a Trigger Object and give them a delay. Then once the main event of the Trigger object is fired, all Triggerable objects are Activated. The attached gifs show the result of some basic testing of the trigger system.

Now that the basics of the system are in place I will soon start working more complex events by chaining triggers but at the moment I am implementing Subweapons and Skills. I should have something to post about that next week. Cya!

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »

Oh man I haven't posted here in ages. Sorry about that.
So let me bring this blog up to speed on the latest updates and features I have been working on these past few weeks.

1 - Sub-Weapons! or should I say sub-weapon?

I have implemented the first rough iteration of the throw-able dagger which is the first sub-weapon. Once equipped a dagger enables a skill which when charged allows the player to throw the dagger, after which the skill has a cool-down period before it can be used again. The cool-down, like any other attribute depends on the dagger itself.

Depending on it's attributes, a dagger can either be a simple long range damage attack or have specific mutators which alter its behavior. Above you can see a WIP shot at the ricochet mutator. Some mutators can also be charged in order to alter effectiveness. eg: The longer the charge, the more times the projectile will ricochet.

2 - QTE chests!

I have implemented a QTE system to unlocking certain chests. It is very self-explanatory from the two gifs you can see above. The system is made so that very unexpected situations may be created. Here is a list of what can vary from chest to chest:

• Number of Prompts
  • Range of Prompts (eg: A,B,X,Y,)
  • Time Allowed (can also not have time)
  • Number of Mistakes allowed
  • Mistake Consequence (result in fail, step back X prompts, accelerate time etc)
  • Number of fails allowed
  • Fail Consequence (trigger trap, lose chest forever etc)
  • and more!

3 - New and Improved animations and behaviors for enemies

4 - Critical Hits, Ailments and brutal decapitation of enemies

I have started working on status effects and critical hits but these still need a lot of work. However while working on critical hits I decided to make killing an enemy with a critical hit have a bit more impact and be a bit more satisfying so I made their heads fly off...

So that's all for now excluding the large amount of incredibly tiring and annoying bug fixing, code re-writing and PCG balancing etc etc. I will try to post here more often. However I update the game's tumblr much more often. I should set up a twitter soon aswell. Cya next time!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:40:57 AM by Luka Parascandalo » Logged

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
dynasty9
Level 0

Let's do this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »

I love this. I would love to play it.

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

"Here is a list of what can very from chest to chest"

Should be vary, not vary.

The game, especially the boomerang dagger, looks like fun.

SpeakUpGames
Level 0

whimsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »

The enemies are really adorable! It's kinda sad to see them die so tragically Sad

Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »

@dynasty9 Thanks! Still a very long way to go. Maybe a beta/early access next year??

@The Translocator Thank you for pointing that out. must have been really tired yesterday. Thanks for the feedback!

@SpeakUpGames I know right! They aren't even evil or anything! The just don't like people trespassing into the caves and dungeons they call home. I will try to make the other enemies look less cute/more threatening.

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
chriskoebke
Level 0

Professional tall person and gamemusic composer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »

This looks like a lot of fun. It reminds me of the old Zelda game, really like it! :D

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »

I LOVE your QTE chests! Now I want to do the same in my game... Smiley

Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:56:44 AM »

@chriskoebke The main inspiration for this game was Legend of Zelda Links awakening DX on the gameboy color!

@Fenrir Thanks so much! and you should. quick puzzles are always fun Smiley

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »

Hey everyone! Been a long time since my last post. Here is a quick update on what has happened on the project since.

1- Main Logo Finally!

Finally decided to make a logo for the project and here it is! it says WIP in the image because it might change a bit but it's pretty much done. Feels good to have done this, should have done it before.

2- More work on elemental effects

I have been working on more ailments and effects including sprite work and implementation. Elemental effects for weapons have now also been plugged into the weapon generator so you can run into elemental weapons in dungeon runs. Above you can see sprites for FIRE, REGENERATION, POISON and CURSE

3- Continued work on the Slime enemy

The second enemy, the slime, I had started working on long ago and it's still not finished! However most of the sprite work for it is done and most of the implementation is there. But not currently working on it, moved on to more pressing issues.

4- Asset work

Worked on some in-game captions (pretty self-explanatory)

5- Door Ways!

Dungeon Entrance and Secret Path!

#####################################################

And that's it for things that I can show. Most of the development time since my last post has been focused on a very annoying resolution issue that I have been dreading since the project first started. Had to re-write a bunch of things, re-design some stuff and include some room transitions but I can now proudly say that the resolution issue has been fixed (hopefully) without sacrificing anything from the game.

That's it for now, Again I will try to post here more often but it's kinda hard to keep up. Since I have a day job that consumes most of my time and various hobbies I barely have enough time to work on the project, So keeping up with devlogs and social media takes very low priority. However you can follow on Twitter or Tumblr which I keep up to date the most. Links are in my signiture.

Feel free to ask any questions or say anything really. I appreciate it! Cya next update

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
roboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »

This looks great man, would love to give it a play! What engine are you making this in?

3D artist - www.roboy.me
Verrazano
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »

This game looks fantastic, random dungeon generation tons of ways to play the game and rogue like is a sure way to my heart. Keep it up.
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »

@roboy I am building the game currently using XNA 4.0 refresh moving on to Monogame soon. All custom code. Thanks for the feedback!

@Verrazano Thanks for the feedback!

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »

Really well done effect.

What's the shiny thing in the bottom right of this gif?

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »

i love this
even if its yet another retro pixel art roguelike, i still love it
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »

i love this
even if its yet another retro pixel art roguelike, i still love it

@EddCoast I know pixel art roguelikes are a very common genre lately. However the more strategic real-time gameplay will hopefully be enough to set it apart from the rest. Thanks for the feedback!

Really well done effect.
What's the shiny thing in the bottom right of this gif?

@Quicksand-T The shiny thing is another throw-able dagger. I know it looks odd but it's just test sprites for the moment. Thanks for the feedback!

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
Luka Parascandalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 05:47:12 AM »

Hey All. Here is a long overdue progress update.

First off, I decided to overhaul the walls of the whole thing. They didn't look that great and didn't make much sense in a way of perspective and/or scale. The images below show sort of a design process to get to the new look.

As you can see I also added some water to add some more variety to the rooms which still needs to be animated.

A new enemy, the bat, is on the way. Come on you can't have dungeons without bats! Preview Below

On the programming side of things I had to re-write a lot of generation code because of the new Walls but I also made a lot of progress in the basics functions of the game like menu navigation, and transitions on completing a dungeon or dying.

Here is a tiny video of the dungeon cleared screen in-game -> https://vine.co/v/OtFBEJOEUwq

And here is a gif of being teleported back to town

Speaking of the town, The town is the hub where the player is teleported to after completing a dungeon. In there you could get quests, talk to people, buy stuff, go to your next dungeon and more. Also once dead your new character will start at the town and take over for your late hero.

That's it for now. I will try to post here more often but it's hard to find the time lately. If you wish to keep more up to date with the project you should follow on tumblr, twitter, and vine. Cya next update!

-TheWishgranter-
-DevBlog
-Tumblr
-Twitter
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »

Nice progress, but be careful with the height on the walls though, they might block visibility.
other than that, im loving this, i just wanna play it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic