Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:17:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCreepy Castle - RELEASED!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Creepy Castle - RELEASED!  (Read 18577 times)
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »

Gosh thank you SO MUCH everyone!!

@supajackle: I am so glad you think so!! It means a lot from you. I'm always pretty proud of the graphics when I make them but they get kind of old to me as dev continues so it's always reaffirming to hear compliments on their quality, especially from rad artists like you.

@ottbott: Thank you!! As always I'm very thankful that people are excited for this game and very humbled that people assisted me in realizing it back when the kickstarter ran. <3 And I'm glad you can empathize, it makes it really hard to buckle down and respond to feedback/keep people in the loop Concerned

The textures in that level give me a bit of a Monster Party vibe. I like the little red enemies too.

Aw thank you, coincidentally enough I think of Monster Party every time I see your avatar! The face reminds me of the tree where the first level changes. I love Monster Party, it's so fascinating. Your game kind of has the oppressive and dangerous atmosphere of Monster Party but with better game design in general.

I want to touch the moth.

@flashysquirrel: I'm glad it can create a sense of nostalgia! With all of my games it's my goal to create a game that would have been one of my favorites if it already existed. Creepy Castle is an RPG that I would have loved to play on the MSX or NES.

@baroda and i.i: Thank you! Being on Greenlight was pretty nerve wracking because I had never done it before, but overall I enjoyed the experience. There's a really special kind of joy you feel when a game is greenlit to be on Steam.

The graphics are lovely..

Where do you get your ideas from? Smiley

Thank you very much happymonster!! I'm very flattered that you like the artwork. I've always admired not only your amazing graphical skills but also the fact you made a cool program for your art (I need to try it out- I'm so attached to ms paint I never branch out and try other programs even if I think they look cool...)

It's tough to pin down exactly what my biggest inspirations are! I like the old japanese game aesthetic of big heads and small bodies, and in general how far japanese developers pushed the constrained dimensions of their sprites- in a 16x16 space you could count on the subject being exaggerated and nicely filling out the space, rather than being a concept that was simply downscaled until it fit in the required tiles- I think that's a big mechanic trick that makes spritework look more full (picking a size and trying to fill it out).

Aesthetically, the roots of my setting and characters was basically "cute like kirby, but with some darkness to it in the style of castlevania". Nowadays I take some design cues from Animal Crossing, Akira Toriyama (specifically his chibi characters- like Kid Goku and Pilaf- and his monster designs in Dragon Quest) and Pokemon designs.

La Mulana is a big inspiration in both technical and aesthetic regards- its big chunky sprites and its character designs are perfect to me. And I'm not sure if there's an "enormous dungeon" setting I like more than La Mulana itself... with lore like that, how could anything else ever compete? Such an amazing game!!

Some of the skins that the lore you find will be displayed with. The 7th "computer screen" style skin has green text to match, most others have black text.

Also, redid an older boss sprite. In the past there were more "weird" designs (like quadruped bugs), now mostly everything is bipedal.

>>REDONE>>
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:17:56 PM by Moth » Logged

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »

omg! <3

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »

I'm loving the enemy sprites!

Also, that Moth-poke animation is adorable.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »

Thank you Moth for your kind words! Though I think you're thinking of someone else when you said "amazing graphical skills"  Cheesy
heartbeast
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »

I love the main character! Super cute looking.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »

New Update up on  Hand Point Right Kickstarter!  Hand Point Left

Quick recap of topics covered:

Scenario 3: Depth

Dear god... it's full of paths
My god... it's full of paths.

A look at the new scenario 3 that promises a more exploratory, open experience. The old scenario isn't dead, but still in the works.

Click here for huge preview image of one of the scenario's areas.

Scenario 4: Due Exaltation

A sci-fi adventure with a world map (More like galaxy map). Travel from planet to planet, visit breathtaking, alien vistas.
Call your travel agency today!
Call your travel agency today!

Meet and interact with the colorful (literally) locals! Some of them can be quite violent. Oh god, not the drills!

Delicious new portraits

With new areas come new characters, and with new characters come new portraits. Here are some of them.

They're all beautiful, each in their own way
They're all beautiful, each in their own way

Lore 2.0

Everyone loves a good read. But some pictures are always nice. The old lore system had the "words" part down, but the completely overhauled lore system presents all sorts of colorful, varied imagery to go with the main dish. Don't trust us? Zach compares our word count with other games in the Update. Everyone knows that quantity is everything!

Sometimes, the new possibilities are used to present pretty un-booky stuff. Here's an example:

pls don't sue is
Please don't sue us

... but wait! There's more!

... over in the KICKSTARTER UPDATE.

I don't wanna overload this post and regurgitate all the fun parts here. So head on over!
There's more tasty visuals, comedic lore for the most refined tastes and some behind the scenes looks and more palette swap shaders than you can shake a stick at!

We're planning a release this October.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »

It's all looking very impressive. I especially like that alien Operator.

What are those brown coiled circles in the Depth level?

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »

I am reeeeally looking forward to digging into this game.

Very cool update... can't wait!

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »

So sorry I let this topic sit for so long! It's been a really busy half a year or so.

It's all looking very impressive. I especially like that alien Operator.

What are those brown coiled circles in the Depth level?

Those would be the save points for that scenario! The pattern has a fancy name- the "flower of life"- but is also known as an overlapping circles grid.

PROGRESS REPORT: The game is coming along well and it's getting closer to release, which is now going to be this Summer for sure. Also, we are now partnering with Nicalis! All of this and more is discussed in this Kickstarter update. I'm also going to be updating the Nicalis blog from here on out, and my first post there is located hereabouts.

The new Scenario 3 we first mentioned in the last post here, Depth, is totally done now! :D I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's filled with 4 more big areas larger than or similar to the size of the first one we showed off, in addition to a few smaller areas at the start and end of the game. Depth easily takes 4+ hours your first run through, and that's a conservative estimate, so I hope everyone who loves spelunking will really dig it.

Really exciting news soon to come!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »

Wow, this game looks like it's gonna be huge. The scale of the "scenarios" seem rather large, as well. Will you control different characters in each scenario?

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »

Wow, this game looks like it's gonna be huge. The scale of the "scenarios" seem rather large, as well. Will you control different characters in each scenario?

Yup! There are a couple scenarios that feature characters that feature the same protagonist as another, though.

Great colors! Art looks really good!

Thank you! :D

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »

Do you mean an NPC in some scenarios is the player in others (and vice-versa)?

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2016, 08:56:20 PM »

Oops, I typo'ed up a bit there. What I meant to say was simply that some scenarios share the same main character. Tongue

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »

Hey there everyone! It's been a while, so first I'll drop some links to some dev blog stuff I've made over at the Nicalis blog:

Creepy Castle: Creepy Origins - Talks a little about the beginning of the game's development.
Creepy Castle: Exploring the Castle - ...the title of which is pretty much self-explanitory, explaining the exploration and basic gameplay.

Currently I am in a mad rush to finish a lot of little features and polish a bunch of things, because I'm going to be showing the game off at E3 in a week!! You'll be able to see me presenting the game on Twitch's E3 show page if you tune in at 4:15PM Pacific on Wednesday the 15th.

Here's a little teleporter cutscene I finished! It's going to be used for areas that are linked via teleporter, and also for returning to your ship via tractor beam in the sci-fi flavored fourth scenario. You also might notice the menu at the bottom has changed- where previously the first two spots of your inventory were your weapon and your hand to interact with objects on the map, they have been collapsed into one context-sensitive command. Next to an enemy, it will switch to your weapon, and when near objects you can interact with- such as chests you can open, NPCs you can talk to, doors you can go through, and et cetera- it changes its image to handily illustrate and explain your available command.

More to come!

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »

Coming October 31st! Finally coming up on the finish line now.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:20 PM »

That is one badass trailer  My Word!

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »

That trailer's so good! Really excited to check this out. Big congrats on being so close to finishing.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »

Yeah, this looks really interesting. I really like the song in the trailer, and the gameplay looks pretty fun, too. Keep it up!

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 10:14:05 AM »

Thank you!! Sorry I'm so late in coming back to this topic ; ;

Anyway the game is RELEASED! http://store.steampowered.com/app/450440

Screamy

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »

Congrats on the release. Looking forward to giving it a go when I get the chance.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic