Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411869 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58474 Members - Latest Member: spdp

June 04, 2024, 05:52:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Iji [DONE]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Iji [DONE]  (Read 111181 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »

Hmm... I think I like the old sprite better.

godsavant
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »

Doesn't the new one fit the style better? Concerned I like it a lot more...

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »

Yeah, nice - I for one really like the new sprite. I think it really goes better with Oracle's original style. Also I really like that it has more perspective now and doesn't seem as two dimensional as the old one.

I see no problem with flipping though, what do you mean godsavant?

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2009, 12:44:38 PM »

The original sprite was more pose-accurate to the game, and the new one makes the gun look like a pistol since she's holding it the same wasy as Quote.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2009, 12:46:26 PM »

Way too large for a pistol - I think the rifle is quite readable. But yeah, the pose is quite similar to Quote's now, but I don't think that's a bad thing..

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »

Weird new Iji base sprite. Only problem is that we can't flip it.

I can!

(Poorly.)
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »

I do agree that it looks a lot like the quote sprite. The hair looks much better though
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »

I do really think that godsavants new sprite looks a lot better. It fit's better with the theme and doesn't look as stiff as the old one. He has earned several notches of my respect.

To keep him on the ground I must remind that my Curly sprite is cooler than his.

But maybe the colours in his are a bit better? Maybe I should keep this to the Quote & Curly thread... Maybe I should wait until we get permission...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 03:10:21 PM by JLJac » Logged
shig
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »

I prefer the gun and hair in the second one. As for the pose, I'm undecided.

godsavant
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »

Yeah, nice - I for one really like the new sprite. I think it really goes better with Oracle's original style. Also I really like that it has more perspective now and doesn't seem as two dimensional as the old one.

I see no problem with flipping though, what do you mean godsavant?

Thank you, that means a lot coming from our prominent pixelhead. Smiley

And by 'flipping', I mean that, since one of Iji's hands is grasping the trigger and the other is on the pump, her arms will need to look different when facing right or left. As opposed to the old sprite, which just looked plain awkward when flipped horizontally. Embarrassed However, we can alleviate that problem with

, given some tweaking and whatnot. Great work, plasticware. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

I do really think that godsavants new sprite looks a lot better. It fit's better with the theme and doesn't look as stiff as the old one. He has earned several notches of my respect.

To keep him on the ground I must remind that my Curly sprite is cooler than his.

But maybe the colours in his are a bit better? Maybe I should keep this to the Quote & Curly thread... Maybe I should wait until we get permission...

Well thank you for keeping my ego in check. Roll Eyes

But yeah, yours looks better b/c it's actually a serious effort to draw Curly, instead of just a recolor of the Iji sprite. Pure color-swapping there.
We need to collect all these joke sprites together...

JackBread
Level 0

100% fresh hippo

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »

Weird new Iji base sprite. Only problem is that we can't flip it.

I like the hair and face better on this one than the last one. She could hold her nanogun up a bit more, though.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »

Updated the first post with the new sprite. I still prefer the old pose, but the new one looks good, too. It's really not a big deal for me.

The only thing I'd change is I'd make her one eye a pixel shorter. Right now, it looks like one of her eyes is bigger than the other (plus, typical eye height is 3 pixels tall, and Iji doesn't seem like she should be the exception).

I'm not too worried about flipping the sprite. I think in the heat of battle, no one's really going to notice it. It's certainly not worth the work of doubling the number of necessary sprites.

godsavant
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »

The only thing I'd change is I'd make her one eye a pixel shorter. Right now, it looks like one of her eyes is bigger than the other (plus, typical eye height is 3 pixels tall, and Iji doesn't seem like she should be the exception).

I actually tried to do that, but any other configuration made her look like a badly-drawn character from Hey Arnold!, so I made a compelte second pass over the sprite, including making her hair more natural and attractive:

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »

Her left (our left, her right) eye looks odd, its a bit thin.
godsavant
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

Her left (our left, her right) eye looks odd, its a bit thin.

I know, like I said, there was no other way to fit the eyes on her head without giving her Down Syndrome...anyone want to help? Sad
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »

I actually tried to do that, but any other configuration made her look like a badly-drawn character from Hey Arnold!

Looks okay to me.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 12:43:22 AM »

I like the new idle. My only problem is that the shading on her back blends into the outline and makes it look like she has a really thick outline.

Even though the pose is not so 'true' to the original sprites, it captures Iji's personality pretty well.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 12:46:06 AM »

Maybe the gun is a bit oversized? Otherwise I think it's exellent, way better than the original sprite :D
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »

I think the thing that really bugs me about the new sprite is that she never held the gun that way in the game
The gun looked a lot better in the older sprite, but that's about the only thing that looked better.
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 06:13:36 AM »

I like the newer sprite. Iji might not hold the gun that way in game, but this adds more character to her, including making her initial unwillingness to kill things manifest itself somewhat. IMO the original sprite and the source sprite both made her look like an action heroine, where I think she should be a bit more ...ah... fish-out-of-water looking, which fits with the new sprite.

I think this stays truer to the source material in intentions, even if it deviates somewhat in by-the-book 100% exactly the same as the old stuff bits.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic