Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:48:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954101 times)
HiVE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3920 on: October 09, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »

We are HiVE. Smiley

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3921 on: October 09, 2010, 06:04:54 AM »

That just sounds kind of creepy.

Like the borg.
HiVE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3922 on: October 09, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »

Similar but nectar-fuelled; more eco-friendly.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #3923 on: October 09, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »

Now this batch of new people looks promising. Welcome to the forums, everyone. Smiley

(not that the previous batches were not promising.)
Grey
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3924 on: October 10, 2010, 01:16:43 AM »

So, I figured I'd stop lurking and actually introduce myself...

I'm 'Grey', been programming for years, always in some way related to games, from the good old 'muds' I used to spend -way- too much time on and taught myself to program so I could 'make stuff', through to my last couple of years 'working for the man' (Pony friends 2  Cool Go Me!!)

I got into games thanks to a second hand Amiga many years ago, and never quite broke the habit, been an avid 'gamer' ever since. Though I never did quite work out how to like competitive stuff, so my favoured genre is "anything that's not tekken" Smiley

So anyway, now I'm uh... "self employed" ...and finally trying to avoid procrastination long enough to produce something of my own.

Speaking of procrastination... back to it! Wish me luck!  Beg
drasich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3925 on: October 10, 2010, 01:24:10 AM »

Hello,
My name is chris and I am trying to make a game (a rail shooter one).
My first console was the nes and my first game super mario bros.
My first computer was an atari st, but games were too hard for me Smiley I didn't finish many games but there is one I remember finishing with my sister :

One of my favorite games is super metroid. Probably because of the power I feel when I use the speed booster Smiley that and the grappling beam.

I am taking piano lessons, I'm learning japanese and would like to draw more Smiley
here is an old drawing (with bad lighting) :
http://chrisad.posterous.com/made-a-few-month-ago

And I've been trying to make a rail shooter.
here is a screenshot :

here is a lo-fi video I recorded yesterday :

[edit screenshot]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:54:45 AM by drasich » Logged
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3926 on: October 11, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »

Hallo, I am Friedrich.

Most of the things I want other people to know are on my website, but here are some words about myself. I studied Multimedia Design in Halle/Saale in Germany, and recently got my diploma. As diploma project I made a game prototype, which I called "Hals über Kopf".

Before this, I already created some game prototypes in university and outside of it, sometimes together with Jana Reinhardt. Unfortunately, I never got myself motivated enough to actually finish a game project.

Nonetheless, some day I want to be an independent game developer, but I don't like platformers much. Wink Well, I like RPGs more, perhaps I'll do something in this direction. My problem mainly is the lack of money, so I have to do some other first.

Right now Jana and me try to create a small Dungeon Keeper like game, which should be finished at the end of October ... at least I hope so. Smiley

Thanks for reading,
overhead
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:11:11 AM by overhead » Logged

drasich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3927 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »

hey overhead Smiley
I think I remember speaking to you on freenode (maybe on the bullet channel)
I remember your editor!
nice project by the way Smiley
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3928 on: October 12, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »

Hallo drasich!

Thanks! I often was on freenode when I worked on the project, mainly the OGRE channel and the Bullet channel. So chances were good that you met me there. Wink

You can download the editor (+ game) now, BTW! But I don't promise that it works, hehe.

Regards,
overhead

N'graugt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:53 AM »

Oh hey guys. Long time lurker, third time poster. I'm a (sort of) indie-game-developer that does pretty much everything by himself. So... music, coding, arts, story, etc are mine, and stuff. I'm not really new to the indie games scene, since often times, I enjoy them more than the big-business stuff out nowadays (unless it's an Oddworld game).

I uh, already posted my game project earlier. If anyone is interested, here's my little plug.

That's all I got, folks. Ain't much an introduction, but I really don't know what else to say.

Edit: Sorry for posting before introducing, I got a little bit exited.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »

That rail shooter looks cool.
And I love the "Hive" name.. handdrawn art there looks amazing.

destiny is truth pre-op
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am another one of those who went indie after working in the games industry. Released one indie game so far. Working on more, which I plan to post shortly!

Cheers!  Beer!
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: October 12, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »

Hello, I'm Joba,
I'm a student/programmer and I'm trying to make deep, atmospheric and immersive games.
The games what are extremely rare these days.
Unfortunately they are also extremely hard and time-consuming to make (especially for one person!) which probably explains why I haven't made anything noteworthy yet.

That's why I should probably try to make smaller games and team up with some of you guys.

Level editors and game tools are very important for "big"(and small) games, so that's something I'm working on at the moment.

Here are some of my favorites:

Might and Magic 7 (and 6, 8 too)

Little Big Adventure 2 (LBA 2)

Myth 1&2

Heroes of Might and Magic 1&2&3

Homeworld

Metroid Fusion (love supermetroid and zero mission too)

Castlevania:Aria of Sorrow (+DoS, PoR, OoE, Sotn, HoD)

Zelda: Links Awakening (+LttP, Minish cap, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages)

Gradius Gaiden

From Indie games my favorites would be Cavestory and

Hydorah

Regards,
Joba

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:09:37 PM by joba » Logged

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
lightfoot256
Level 0

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3933 on: October 13, 2010, 12:46:02 AM »

Hi, My name is Chris Lightfoot; I hail from Barnsley (Originally from Sheffield) in the UK; I work full time as a "software developer" (iPhone, .NET, php, c++,as3) at an e-learning company in Sheffield; I've started my own company and am looking to take on software development on my own (and then to hire if all goes well) in the form of contracting and either selling services or creating games! (I'd much prefer the later but we'll see how it goes first :-p).

I've been programming/scripting since I was 12; I have a fascination for how things tick so before then used to dabble with electronics and take anything that was broken to bits (My dad wouldn't let me take things apart that worked!!) I think I started a little too young trying to learn C for the Net Yaroze (Play Station One) - I got through most of the examples making basic pong and platform games but ended up spending a much longer time playing with Multimedia fusion instead, writing scripting engines and tile engines to avoid the limits of the click tools; I was never happy with MMF due to it's limitations and my knowledge that you could do more!

I then moved into C/C++ for a few years playing with various things but not really moving forward or releasing anything substantial; I wrote a couple of plugins for MMF, entered a couple of Allegro competitions - wrote a nice sand/water game and then all of a sudden in the last year or so a light bulb popped into my head and I started learning as3 and getting into online games (I remember the exact moment where I did a search for Java versus flash and a couple of pages later was 100% set on flash!!) - Having seen how easy it is to play; No download, no installation, no updates I couldn't believe I'd stayed away for so long! I see things like Minecraft and the amount of fame Notch gets and want a slice of the action! hehe.

I have a passion for games but am upset by how rubbish most commercial games are. I can't believe I took so long to eventually play Dwarf fortress and am a little surprised by how long it took me to buy Minecraft but they have something about them that feels just so much more magical than what big companies are pumping out; I guess the main difference is that they can try something new and try and change the game whereas those hell bent on profit cannot. Anyway; That's a bit of an introduction; Hopefully you'll get to know me more as I hang about the forums.

Nice to meet you all!
Chris
KingSlizzard
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3934 on: October 13, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »

Hey dudes!

After I quit being a male model, I decided the best way for me to make people happy without making them throw up and feel bad about themselves is to make games! It's truly the one thing that makes me happy.

My very first game was Ms. Pac-Man. I remember leaning so hard against the cabinet and becoming apart of the thrill of being chased and chasing as well.

My main goal is to make games that people enjoy and enjoy the process as well. I'm always learning and constantly making mistakes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:30:02 PM by King Slizzard » Logged

Dri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3935 on: October 14, 2010, 06:51:08 AM »

Hi everyone!

Yet another independent developer, I started really early (around ten) with RPG Maker 2000, my specialty was starting a project, work on it for a week, then restart everything with even more ambition. It's not a good way to finish things but it's a good way to learn :p
After this I migrated to Dark Basic and Pure Basic until I started C++ at 14 because "everyone know it's better". My productivity goes worse than ever before, instead of half-finishing games I was half-finishing engines. But I learned a ton of things that way, starting very different projects.

For most of the time I worked alone, so I did everything on those projects, including art. I have more difficulties with music however (and a lot less practice).

Nowadays I'm a computer-sciences student, two years apart from graduation, and I still start little projects to learn. The only difference is that now I know that I won't finish them and that it's fine.

One year ago I've started an independent game company with two friends, it's called D2P Games and we released our first game, Reckless Squad.
It does feel good to complete things sometimes :D
However we still have a hard time with all the business things that are new to us, but we're learning.

So now I'm back to the drawing board, trying new ideas and prototypes, and I know that getting involved in the TIGSource community and be surrounded by creativity will be a good way to motivate myself.

Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right
Dramus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: October 14, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »

Hello,
My name is Michael Robellard. For me it all started in the early 80s when my mother bought us a TI-99/4A computer. About the only thing you could do with it was program in BASIC, so that's what I did, and I was instantly hooked. I have been writing games and software ever since. I have never finished and published one of my own game until recently. Over the summer I released Railroad Empire http://apps.facebook.com/railroadempire, a Facebook game that was inspired by Railroad Tycoon.

My main interests include game design and development. Development wise I have in the past used a ton of languages including (in order of learning them):
BASIC (early 80s)
Pascal (late 80s)
80x86 Assembly (1993)
C (1994)
C++ (1994)
Java (2001)
Javascript (2006)
Python (2006)
dasannikov
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3937 on: October 15, 2010, 03:02:52 AM »

Hi,
My name is Dmitry Sannikov. I am from Russia. I started make games in 90s. Firs game was "Tic Tac Toe" game for ZXSpectrum. I was 12-14 Smiley Many years later I started working in proffesional game development studio as c++ logic programmer. I worked 6 years as game developer in few studios as programmer and as game designer and affter that I and my friend decided to work together indepentetly. We are rent appartment and now (about 8 mounth) work on our first game - The Tiny Bang Story. So, now we are Colibri Games - small games development studio. Smiley (www.colibrigames.com)
filharvey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: October 15, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »

Hey there all.

I'm Phil Harvey, a game developer who has worked in the industry since the 80's. I've worked for the big boys in the past, Bullfrog, Sega, Activition etc.. Worked on nearly every platform since the ZX Spectrum.

But now working on smaller projects for my self. Currently working on a couple of facebook games of which the first will be released soon. None of these are anything amazing compared to what is out there.

But also in the last couple of days decided to look at Minecraft, as 3D Dot Heroes is one of the best looking games, I think anyway. Also got addicted to Realm of the Mad God. So currently planning a game combining the 2. Minecraft meets Realm of the Mad. It will be a action based MMO.

Thanks

Phil
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: October 15, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »

Hey, I'm Quinn Negrych. I'm a aspiring indie dev who can't seem to pin a coding language, seeing as I can code a bit of BYOND, GML and Java.

My first game was probably.... oh, god, I think Ratchet and Clank. Too hard to tell, my first memory of gaming was later than that but I do know I've been gaming around the age of my late 2nd year of existence.

Minecraft is a drug for me and affects my developing. 'Affects' being halts completely. Also, I joined around the middle of indev's career.

.. Did I just devote a full paragraph to Minecraft?

Anyways, my favorite music includes retro tunes, Ratchet and Clank songs and Pendulum, plus whatever single song I like. Pop and top-of-the-charts songs make me gag.

My all time favorite games include R&C 1-3, many retro games, any Metroid game, Minecraft and a few others I can't think to name atm. My fav genre is probably sandbox/open world, and coming in second is a 3 way tie between FPS/RTS/experimental games.

Did I mention I'm 12?

No, I s'pose I didn't.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic