Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411804 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 11:20:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[FINISHED] Akiro the squid <3
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Akiro the squid <3  (Read 25346 times)
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »

Today I've animated the death menu screen, as well as added a death image.
By death image I mean a sprite showing Akiro dying to whatever mob hit him. I was hoping it would add some personality. Of course, those are placeholder images.

Oh, and I almost forgot - Updated playable. https://mothil93.github.io/akirothesquid/

Edit: forgot to hook up the scoreboard though... My bad.  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:55:41 AM by Mothil » Logged

Akiro: Android | IOS <3
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2016, 11:10:54 AM »

Love it! Especially how it's just BAM! INSTADEATH GAME OVER SCREEN IN THE FACE!

I mean it was always instant death, but now it has much more impact.
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2016, 11:19:16 AM »

yeeaaahh!  Cheesy

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »

It's a bit embarrassing to upload this, but it shows that I too can learn programming given time.
They should be flipped though - The right one is the previous pufferfish script, which had a bug that sometimes evolved the puffers just as they spawned. This normally only happened on my android, no idea why.

The left one is my new puffer script, which does exactly the same thing. It took me about an hour to do this, but I'm happy I managed to complete it. It's so much easier to read now, I love it.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2016, 03:01:52 AM »

Ah, that point where the logic clicks in your head and the code becomes so much cleaner. Don't worry, that's normal and will stay that way Smiley
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2016, 01:48:28 AM »

The pufferfish is almost exactly as I envisioned it now. There's just one final tweak; they should rotate based on the position of the player, to further enhance the feeling of "aaaah, I really want to get that player, but I'm floating away!"

I don't know if this is true, but I feel like the pufferfish is a better designed enemy than the rest. I guess some balance is needed by having a bit more static enemies (jellyfish/boulders) else everything is going to just surround the player. It feels like I should rethink the swordfish, so I guess there's going to be a lot of sketching today.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2016, 01:52:57 AM »

Really lovely to see how you have improved in terms of programming, thank you for sharing! Also the new game over screen is adorable!

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 03, 2016, 01:59:24 AM »

Thank you so much jctwood.  Coffee

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 03, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »

I think I just got a fantastic enemy idea which will replace the swordfish. I'm really excited to try implement it. If all goes well, let's see if we can get a playable version with that enemy later today.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »

This is starting to look cool! I like the way he moves. If you have questions about c# and unity I might have answers. Good luck!

Twitter: @pbergmar
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »

Hey Petter, thank you so much! I frequently get stuck in programming, so I'll hit you up if I do end up not having the slightest idea what to do.  Coffee

And when it comes to the enemy I hinted at...
it's in the game!

Behold, the resurrection of the turtle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-m7vdbR64&feature=youtu.be

I am so glad I got this idea, it really feels like it fits into the enemy pool. Basically, the way the turtle moves is:
It first spawns on either side, and it swims until it can see Akiro, then it kind of "lurks" for two seconds, then swims at max speed toward the player.

The fine tuning is going to be, obviously the art, and make it so the turtle goes into its shell when swimming towards the player. Maybe also shoot bubbles on the way. And I'd like to experiment with sending the turtle in curls... ehm. It's easier to show what I mean with a drawing.

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »

Mhh, I'm really tired but this was way too fun. My code is a mess, but the turtles are so silly now.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2016, 12:16:19 AM »

You're starting to really juice up the game, awesome!
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »

Just throwing out a couple jellyfish design ideas. Well, the second one isn't a jellyfish, but rather a manta ray of some sort. I remember watching some aquarium videos on youtube about a year ago, and I really loved the way they swim up on the glass. Not sure which one I will go for, or maybe I will go for both and just randomize between them.

I'm thinking that either could 'replace' the current placeholder jellyfish art. I'm basically just trying to find out what creature best fits a neutral enemy that swims in one direction. I should probably switch out the boulders as well for an actual creature, but I'm not sure.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »

It all depends on how they're animated, tbh
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2016, 01:05:08 AM »

My brother and a friend of mine playtested the game yesterday. I believe they both got a score close to 10. My brother thought that they spawned way too fast, and everything sort of came crushing down, and I do see that. My friend did sort of agree to that, but he thinks it worked. It opened my eyes to something I should have done a long time ago, especially considering the game is pretty casual - easing in the spawn rate.

Here's what I have in mind:
0 points - only the tutorial shrimp is on screen

1 point (collected tutorial shrimp): Very slow spawn rate. For example puffers at 4/5 seconds, boulders and jellies at 2/3 etcetera.

5 points: "medium" difficulty, sort of. Introduction of the turtle, as well as slightly faster spawn rates.

10 points:
"hard" difficulty, this is the intensity for the rest of the game, sort of like it is now.

I've already implemented it. I've been denying it being a problem cause I didn't think I could do it, but it took me 5 minutes. I mean, it's basically just 15 lines of code. I know so little about programming, but this goes to show that I know something at least.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2016, 01:25:02 AM »

I like the idea of the ramping difficulty although a hard mode could work well where you essentially start with 10 points.

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2016, 02:55:57 AM »

Hey jctwood. Right now it's basically hard mode when the player reaches 10 points. It seems to work pretty nice, but I'll have to playtest more to see for sure.

Right now I'm working on making the shrimp more juicy:

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2016, 05:41:21 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFNW_ujowSY&feature=youtu.be

I've added some sort of combo points thing. The sound effect goes lighter for each shrimp if you manage to keep the combo up, and if you get to 5, you get +3 score as well.

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »

What? Jellyfish is evolving. Art upgrade!
I think it's decent, but I'd like for the stuff under to move slightly more.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic