Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 12:54:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFirst game.. pixel
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First game.. pixel  (Read 1228 times)
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »

So I'm currently a college student (about to start my freshman year), and--long story short--I really want to actually develop and finish my first game--officially! I've been working on this particular game idea for a few weeks and this is my progress and what I currently have done:

sorry if you've already encountered some of these; I was posting in the Art forum, but decided to start up a devLog instead.

Main Idea
So the main character is this little guy in the overalls (I'm not sure why, just go with it). I guess you could say its sort of like a cutesy version of Stick RPG if any of you are familiar with that. The player runs around town and interacts with characters while also gaining money, reputation, and satisfying basic needs like sleepiness, hunger, loneliness, etc. Its supposed to be a fun game, you can interact with lots of different parts of the world (i.e. watch tv, go grocery shopping, get a part time job, etc)

About Me
I'm pretty new to pixel art and even newer to programming: I've always found it tremendously hard to learn. I'm using Unity2D because I want to learn to program (I know I could use something like stencyl but I really want to just learn), and I'm also on a mac, and planning to make a legitimate game.

And Also...
  • I'm pretty curious on color theory and art and how to create really fluid and interesting atmospheres via lighting and colors. Any resources to aid in this would be great
  • I'm really struggling to just get a proper character movement and basic interactions working. I will be coding in C#
  • I'm also pretty new to animating. Though Ive started, I haven't made much progress. I want the game to be bouncy and lighthearted, but the animation I have right now is a little much...  

Current Code:
         this is a script made that is going to be placed onto the player sprite itself

EDIT:
Code isn't currently working btw.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »

Ay, fellow newb game maker and pixel pusher! This sounds/looks like a fun project :D

Wishing you the best of luck. Here's to tons of fun and lots of learning during this journey Coffee

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:13:50 AM »

It is nice to see someone interested in colour theory around here, and it shows! These sprites are beautiful. I love Unity and can understand your decision to not go with something more 'handholdey' like Stencyl/GameMaker. The only issue I can see with your code is that the movement Vector is not initialised and could be used in FixedUpdate before it is assigned a value in Update?

Chaoclypse
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:38:13 AM »

Hey! Nice pixels.

The reason the code isn't working is because you're not getting the COMPONENT rigidbody2D.

To get it to work, make a Rigidbody2D variable called rb, then in your start function, do "rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>();" and replace Rigidbody2D in fixed update to rb.

Hope that helps!
Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:47:09 AM »

Oh, that's nice pixel work. So much with so "little"!

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 05:16:27 AM »

The pixel art looks beautiful!!!  Kiss

Are you doing both the art AND programming?! If so that's impressive. Smiley Gentleman

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »

(Sorry, the frame speed is a little quicker in game, but when making separate gifs it game out a bit slow (though that might help you see where I went wrong))
please give criticism!!

more NPCs

kinda struggling on the direction I should take the setting, i.e. houses, other shops, npcs, etc.

Please provide me with any feedback on the WIPs above!
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »

super pretty color choices!! cute SU poster Smiley

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 04:50:05 AM »

Any gameplay footage coming soon?! Or least a gameplay GIF? :D

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »

currently what I have right now. Its kind of a bummer that Im struggling so much on  the programming aspect.. I have movement down but I'm more worried about getting quests and a talking system up.
lobstersteve
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »

As everyone else said, the colors are really great.
The last drawing is also really good, i could imagine a lot of interactive stuff in it. The game looks like it could have soul and interaction/playfulness always adds to it Smiley
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »

cute as hell dude. i wish you luck. i am a shitty bad programmer myself i understand the struggle

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic