Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58476 Members - Latest Member: animtim

June 09, 2024, 10:44:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain  (Read 29214 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2015, 11:31:18 AM »

Yep social stealth hasn't been done by anyone actually, even ass creed downplayed it

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »

I like Quiet she's a qt. It's amazing that you can see so much emotion from motion capture. And...

WTF

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »

quiet is basically just walking boobs

also i've already said this, but i felt the hospital massacre scene in the prologue was pretty gratuitous and unnecessarily drawn out and i don't look forward to going back to it if i play through the game a second time.

also lol how a game featuring kiefer sutherland also features a scene of the "good guys" torturing someone.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:46:39 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »

Also: Silbereisen is hyping me with his praise for MGS V. The urge to play that game grows with every post he makes.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »

I picked up Rising last week. It was on sale for 2,99€.
I couldn't resist and honestly I'm looking forward to playing it b/c I liked the demo.

Rising is great. It perfectly executes the ridiculous over-the-top combat that makes Platinum games stand out.

I'm also pretty stoked about MGV, though I'm thinking I'll wait until I get a PS4 later this year. Sorry, but CA is gonna have to keep carring this thread for at least another month.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »

i took the liberty of changing the title of this thread because i really really really don't care about whether this game "deserves a 10/10" from ign or watever and i don't think anyone else itt does either. B)

i u peeps think i overreached, i'll change it back.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »

you overreact but don't change it back  Who, Me?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »

btw, good quote from the neogaf thread about this game:

It's not repetitive to me, cause the game gives you such a large toolset to toy around with, It's possibility space the game. Not since Blood Money have I played in such a rich sandbox. Unlike most open worlds, like GTA V or The Witcher 3, where mission and enouncter design doesn't allow for player agency at all.

i haven't played either gta 5 or witcher 3 but this p much sums up what i dislike about "GTA style" open worlds and why i prefer mgs5's approach: you get an open world with random shit "to do" + a bunch of linear missions that take very little advantage of the open world at all.

one particularly egregious example would be shadow of mordor which has this cool social simulation a la sid meier's pirates running constantly, but resets and artificially constrains it everytime you go on a mission. that's why i didn't finish the game despite liking it a lot. most of the actual things you do to progress in the game are much less fun than just running around assassinating orc leaders, seeing how the social hierarchy shifts, beating the nemesis you've previously built up etc.

in MGS5 and other games like it, there isn't as much random side shit "to do" because most of it is packed into the "main" gameplay which is built around the open world rather than on top of it. imo MGS5 is much closer to games like thief, deus ex or even super mario 64 (yes yes gimmy you win Tongue) than GTA-style "open world" games. it's a bunch of open, nonlinear levels that just happen to be interconnected.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

told you it was xcom

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »

One could also say GTA missions follow a "cheat script". For example if you are in a car chase and whenever you are doing too good your opponent will accelerate in a cheaty manner. It is supposed to make the race feel engaging and tight. Uncharted series pulls the same tricks. Cheated mechanics can contribute to the cinematic experience but take away the game.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »

those are aka rubberband mechanics

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »

They are all other the place in almost all game, that's regenerative health as much as better health/missile spawning in metroid, even the mushroom/flower can be seen as one form of this

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »

i was talking about scripted elements tho (why did i not think of that word Tongue)

i guess what it comes down to is, like i said earlier, trusting the player vs trying to "deceive" the player (using that word loosely and not implying any moral judgement). gta gives you an "illusion" of agency by giving you a literal sandbox world (i.e. consequence free) + a bunch of linear scripted missions.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »

Also: Silbereisen is hyping me with his praise for MGS V. The urge to play that game grows with every post he makes.

this video is a HUGE salty JOKE about the score tears apart the game on bullshit so we think he is smart, he is just a hipster who don't like something because it's too popular because it doesn't have a single point, it's all fabricated hyperbole. ESPECIALLY the part about (optional sugar) things not explained, Huh? seriously guy?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:49:31 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »

I don't know. I have to play the game and see. However he has a point if infiltrating is that easy and can be approached the same way over and over again. I agree that it is a pity that optional sugar is not always seen as such.

btw. I just picked up the vid to show how opposing opinions can be.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »

My problem he is that he invoke stuff outside of the scope of the game for 75% of the nitpick, 15% is self contradictory, 5% is his own taste, 5% is fair(the story and micro certainly FucKonami™). The part about things not told is fucking stupid, those are the thing you learn by doing, it's how it should work, base mechanics is already enough to deal with 100% of stuff, everything else is to be figuring out by observing behavior not being spell out for you like a facebook game, also caling base management facebook game is ignorant of both facebook game and management in an action game. Calling make believe stuff forced and empty when they are easily skippable and are there for those who enjoy them (plenty people hence the animal crossing reference often used). He took a single misplace optional content and show it as if it was an actual "dungeon", stuff you do to like fighting random enemy in any other game, therefore isn't there to be complex and stole your time. Let's not forget how he talk about how there isn't much way to approach a base and then complain that teh base actually adapt to your playstyle (wear helmet, which you can disrupt by exploding supplies, which he said) which actually change how you adapt and then say he use a FUCKING guide instead of figuring it out by playing (hence why there is no surprise), I mean what is the challenge in using guide that spell things for you? and give you optimal strategy? That's just dumb dumb and dumb

Also I always play mgs in literally two way, super easy for the story, maximum hard for the stealth, he just need to ramp up the difficulty to turn the game into stealth simulator "i see you 1000 miles away".

JWK5
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »

I play MGS one way, and one way only: stealthily incapacitate every character possible and inappropriately position their rag doll bodies where their comrades might discover them (and then immediately incapacitate the now alerted comrade and add them to the pile). My only disappointment being that nobody ever calls in and says "Snake... you're a sick bastard. What the fuck is wrong with you?"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »

oh btw, here's some stuff i don't like about the gam:

1. the vehicles (as in the normal trucks and cars) suck. the controls aren't very good, it's too easy to get detected when using them and they're not much faster than the horse. they also get damaged very easily while the horse (which im convinced is actually some kind of robot lol) is almost invincible. there's just no reason to use vehicles over the horse (or the d-walker if you wanna play rambo style) imo.

2. mother base is (imo) ugly and too big. it's fun seeing it grow, but the stuff that you can actually do there (SPOILER: not a whole lot) doesn't justify the enormous size it quickly grows to. it also irks how you pretty much can't go inside it. it's supposed to feel like home but it really doesn't to me.

3. sprinting feels a little ridiculous without a stamina meter of some kind (not a big deal tho).

4. i'm fine with regen health but i wish the injury system was more like MGS3's and not "press triangle to heal". maybe serious injuries could reduce your max health until you treat them? feels like an underused mechanic.

SPOILERS AHEAD + nitpick
5. it's kind of lame how the 2nd part of the game is set in central africa (they actually set it in a specific region rather than just generically "in africa" which is cool) but everyone speaks afrikaans. i know there's a story justification for it (south african based merc army), but would it have been that hard to get some voice actors who speak swahili (1 of the languaes spoken in the congo) or portuguese (official language in angola) to voice the soldiers there? even resident evil: colonial edition has swahili VA.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:53:31 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2015, 02:38:54 AM »

i'm not going to do spoiler tag things on my phone but regarding the above and completely ignoring it to say somethig different entirely resident evil 5 faced a lot of the same technical challenges in development (new multi platform engine, graphics technologies, workflow challenges with regards to separate body and face mocap) all of which was sort of lionised and celebrated in the fox engine but the development of the game itself seems to have been a bit of a disaster. i wonder what sort of legs they'll get out of it
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2015, 02:40:24 AM »

my point essentially is resident evil 5, what a great game technically, gameplay wise, and in the ability to punch guys in grass skirts who throw spears at you
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic