Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:40:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSausage Sports Club - A physics game about floppy animals playing sports!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Sausage Sports Club - A physics game about floppy animals playing sports!  (Read 8151 times)
chris wade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »

GIF DUMP:

Progress Update (as of October 2015):

I've been working on and off on Sausage Soccer since May when it started as a an idea from a GDC talk Bennett Foddy gave about bending physics engines to your will. Over the summer I got busy with contract work and another commercial project that didn't pan out, so this project went on hold. After encouragement from friends in the Chicago indie scene, I've resumed work on this and intend to finish this project however long it takes me.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and experiment as much as possible now to find what's good about the game. I'm really interested in cooperative adventure games and dynamic open-ended systems in games, so that's what I hope to eventually create here. I'm not expecting to be done in the next year. Hopefully by then I'll have a clear direction towards the end of the game.

I've attached some progress GIFS and notes I wrote down about how I think the game will work, although all of it is subject to change. For now I'm going to just focus on making it feel good to move around and explore and bop other players around. I'll probably do some early playable builds focused on competitive local multiplayer before I get to any of the adventure mode ideas. I'm open to suggestions and talking about my tech implementations on pretty much everything so, let me know if you're curious about anything.

Cheers,
Chris Mock Anger

Elevator pitch:
- Sausage Soccer is a silly physics platforming game about exploring and rough-housing with up to 7 of your friends.

Game hooks:
- Local multiplayer up to 8 players    
- Sausage simulation like you've never seen before
- Single-player or co-op Adventure mode (5 maps, 1 secret map)
- Local-multiplayer Competitive modes including KOTH, CTF and Graffiti, Coinz    

Player experience:
- Seconds: Action platforming while secondarily controlling a floppy sausage head. Should feel tight to jump around and loose to flop and bop stuff around you.
- Minutes: In adventure mode, your goal is to unlock the entire map and then play with everything inside. You're constantly platforming, fighting enemies, avoiding traps and solving puzzles to unlock the next area. In Competitive mode, you're trying to beat your friends in short matches. KOTH has multiple rounds and lasts a total of 5-7 minutes, CTF is a single round and lasts anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes and Graffiti is a single round that lasts 5 minutes.    
- Hours: By getting to certain areas and completing puzzles, players unlock different sections of larger maps to explore and the completed section to be used in the Competitive modes. By collecting in-game currency, players can then buy customization options through a lottery system.
- Days: Reaching the main ending of each map unlocks a new character and fully completing an area unlocks another character. Reaching the main ending of all maps unlocks a new character. Fully completing all the maps unlocks another secret map.

Design Goals:
- Any level of gamer should have fun. Hardcore people should be looking to 100% all the maps and get every customization option and stomp face in the competitive modes. Casual people should be enjoying the cute aesthetic, co-operative gameplay and carefully picking their customizations.    
- Everything should make me laugh. If there's parts of the game that are boring or tedious then I’ll cut that out. If everything is funny, all footage of the game will be good marketing materials.

Target Audience:
- Streamers – A fun (somewhat phallic) physics game that can be played alone or with friends makes sense as a streaming game. Viral marketing, hopefully.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:01:43 PM by cjacobwade » Logged

midgety
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »

This is one of the best games I have ever seen! It's hilarious how the characters move around and a great idea, keep up the awesome work. I'd love to see more as you progress!
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »

Yes, ok. Good.

Please continue on this journey.

(this is Real Great)

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »

Instant subscribe Grin Mock Anger

Also petition for inevitable Alpaca/Llama model. Gomez

I guess there won't actually be too much "proper" soccer involved?  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:49:14 PM by fall_ark » Logged

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
chris wade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:58:58 PM »

Instant subscribe Grin Mock Anger

Also petition for inevitable Alpaca/Llama model. Gomez

I guess there won't actually be too much "proper" soccer involved?  Tongue
Thanks for the suggestion! Llama seems like a likely choice.

Soccer is probably out, yeah. The flopping mechanic isn't precise enough to hit balls directly where you want. Typing it out made me think of forcing the ball directly towards where the players stick is aiming.

Vitalius Sch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »

Nice job! Vertical Dachshunds ))))

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »

I saw this on twitter a couple days ago, I'm interested!
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »

This looks incredible. Any one of those gifs sells the game entirely, especially the gifs with the dog sausages. Amazing.

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:25:43 AM »

I can't stop laughing, this game is hilarious and the animation looks fantastic. Already following this!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »

very unique idea! I'm interested to see what you make of it Smiley
there are so many possibilities to make absolutely crazy/fun charaters.

the physics look good already, I'm assuming this is unity?

chariospirale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 04:04:38 AM »

ha ha ! perfect !

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 05:02:12 AM »

When the first gif popped up I thought it was going to be an x-rated game.  Shocked

Anyway this looks awesome. I hope you post a tech demo so we can have a play. Flopping around looks like so much fun.

EDIT: Oh, and please add a giraffe character.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:16:37 AM by Oddball » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:06 AM »

Octopus! (And a cat, of course.) Smiley
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 05:38:00 AM »

Reminds me of the enemies in Burgertime!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
chris wade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »

very unique idea! I'm interested to see what you make of it Smiley
there are so many possibilities to make absolutely crazy/fun charaters.

the physics look good already, I'm assuming this is unity?

Yep this is in Unity! Glad you like what I've got so far Smiley

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »

Haha this is brilliant, I can see this as a great game to play with your friends!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
lobstersteve
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »

the amount of dick jokes i will make while playing with friends will be unbearable  My Word!
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »

I could see where texture modding could go horribly wrong with this...

And I'm completely okay with this. Subscribed!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 02:01:12 PM »

Best.Game.Ever.

Reminds me of the enemies in Burgertime!

I'd love to see some fried eggs and a constantly dead cook in there XD

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »

Holy cow, those corgis are hilarious and adorable, I don't see how this couldn't go a little (if not a lot) viral. Goodluck I love lighthearted games like this!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic