Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411906 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58476 Members - Latest Member: animtim

June 09, 2024, 01:02:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour biggest obstacle to create a game?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Your biggest obstacle to create a game?  (Read 79482 times)
it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »

muthafuggin sprite animation. I can get by with art, but when I try to animate anything it all blows up.
BoonzGamez
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »

I don't know exactly what makes me stop working on a game, but I think it's having several ideas and not knowing which one to implement next.
And sometimes lack of inspiration.
MrLollige
Level 0

Pixel artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2009, 10:34:58 PM »

Quite a depressive topic btw. how about a new topic about how to solve these problems?

ParaboL
Level 0

bleh

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

Too many games to play, I need to get off the player wagon and get into some creating action.
Delmore
Unironically Unfunny
Level 1

haha dude i love indie games!!!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

Laziness.
X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2009, 04:51:23 AM »

Lack of Art Skills Sad
And Perfectionism.

warby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »

lack of code skillz !

... oh hey x-tender :D
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »

I personally find it hard to keep my expectations low enough for the project to be doable and remain interested in it long enough finish it. All cool ideas are far beyond my possibilities and everything doable seems not worth the effort. :/
Spot on  Wink Hand Point Right
medieval
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »

• Motivation - lack thereof (I am easily discouraged)
  • Patience - lack thereof (when I get stuck at a major flaw/bug/problem that I can't wrap my mind around)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »

lazyness&procrastination is my greatest enemy  Tired

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »

I personally find it hard to keep my expectations low enough for the project to be doable and remain interested in it long enough finish it. All cool ideas are far beyond my possibilities and everything doable seems not worth the effort. :/

This. It really sucks, yea Sad

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »

I know what you mean in your first post. everything easy seems boring, everything cool seems impossible to implement.

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »

Distractions, shiny things and the internet.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »

Having to make art assets.  Finishing touches such as start menus, end screens, game over screens, etc... (it's not that they're all that hard, but more that I always procrastinate on those things.)

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »

Perfectionism, and generally finding that doing anything to the standard I feel it needs to reach takes far longer than it probably deserves. Who wants to spend years making a single game? Not me! And yet, I do...

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Sash
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »

As soon as my code becomes messy or hard to work with, i get super demotivated. Sometimes i try redo it, but it just ends up adding hours and hours of work. Last game I finished i just made myself work with crap code. But i actually finished it! Woo.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »

My biggest obstacle is being overwhelmed by the stuff I didn't plan for.

I usually start off with only a vague idea of a theme I want. I immediately jump into prototype things, and decide part way down the line, oh hey, to make this good, it needs substance. And so I try and make a design.

Unfortunately, since I didn't plan from the start, this design is incompatible with my prototype. I end up hitting a wall because my WIP game was not written to accomodate my new design plans. As I try and overcome my issues, I smash into a new, bigger design flaw obstacle. This eventually ends in me avoiding work for a while but yearning to fix it. Eventually I just give up, and find a new idea.

However, lately, I've been trying to remedy this by writing detailed plans in advance so that I am not at a loss about what needs to be done, and what features need to be there. In theory, since I have a high-level description of what I am making, repairing the flaws will be way easier. I've been using Dropbox and Notepad, and I've gradually been working away at it on my laptop and desktop. I WILL COMPLETE YOU, DESIGN DOCS.

rpmoura
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »

Having an idea for another game that I think is better than the one I'm working on...
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »

However, lately, I've been trying to remedy this by writing detailed plans in advance so that I am not at a loss about what needs to be done, and what features need to be there. In theory, since I have a high-level description of what I am making, repairing the flaws will be way easier. I've been using Dropbox and Notepad, and I've gradually been working away at it on my laptop and desktop. I WILL COMPLETE YOU, DESIGN DOCS.
I know i'll catch a lot of flack for this, but I think detailed design docs are mostly useless, especially when it comes to small teams. They end up being a good way to not get any real work done.

Iterate. Roll with the punches. Celebrate the happy-mistakes.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2009, 01:07:24 AM »

Today I'm fighting perfectionism, procrastination and other common problems and it seems to work well as I see my game is growing.

But it's growing slowly...

So, now my main obstacle in creating games is about working alone (no team) on a "big" project, and on spare time.

I guess that working on everything on the game makes me better game developer but working too slowly on spare time can quickly depress.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic