Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:35:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour biggest obstacle to create a game?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]
Print
Author Topic: Your biggest obstacle to create a game?  (Read 79120 times)
Jacob_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: October 16, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »

How to advertise. It bothers me to no end when I see alpha games with a similar goal to mine that have dozens of players playing all of the time while I'm lucky to have a few people log in a day.

Also, people flaming/prejudicing me for being a new dev.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2010, 04:57:04 AM »

The internet is both my greatest asset and my greatest obstacle. There's so much valuable information out there- tutorials, manuals, and contact with other indies- but also so much time wasting bullshit. So whenever I genuinely need to get some work done, I unplug my ethernet so as not to get distracted.
This

I spend WAY too much time browsing the internet. It usually starts with me looking at the SDL documentation, then next thing I know I'm on YouTube watching Tourettes Guy for the 1000th time.

Aside from that, I'm also a bit of a perfectionist. I can spend hours formatting my code nicely and tweaking variables so that everything works perfectly.
You know, someone should make some sort of extention for Firefox or something that warns you when you are wasting time. Maybe it could check out what sites you are on and warn you if you are starting a Wiki Walk. You'd save years of wasted time!

I've just been busy with starting my final year of uni. Sad

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: October 18, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »

penguin: There is. While I'm not sure what i's called as I use chrome but I think I saw a plugin on lifehacker or something. On chrome I have a thing that locks me out of a site for X number of hours.

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: October 22, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »

penguin: There is. While I'm not sure what i's called as I use chrome but I think I saw a plugin on lifehacker or something. On chrome I have a thing that locks me out of a site for X number of hours.
That sounds sweet - I gotta get me some of that!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: October 22, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

Y, im too wasting all days on browsing the web and not doing anything creative. Worst is when im refreshing some boards and there is no new posts, and im refreshing them until some new posts will be written, so much wasted time Sad

rogerlevy
« Reply #445 on: October 24, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »

NONE!
time to quit procrastinating!
i'm making a game right now!!!!!
 Panda Tiger Noir Wizard Ninja Gentleman
AntiPseudonym
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 27, 2010, 04:35:15 AM »

Art, for me. I spend so much time on the code side of my games that when I finally get around to doing models and textures, I feel like I'm wasting time for some odd reason. I just don't have the patience for putting a solid days work into a model anymore. Sad

(That and I keep switching projects every other week. I'm up to 5 now)
Ajezard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 03, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »

FRIGGING PROGRAMMING! Shocked
It's the most boring part of creating a game and besides that I've yet to find a programming environment I actually like besides GameMaker, but its SOO underpowered  Epileptic
If only I could get someone to do the programming for me.... oh wait!

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: November 03, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »

If only I could get someone to do the programming for me.... oh wait!
Actually, sometimes this is done. I believe the technical term for it is "teamwork" Tongue

Ajezard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 03, 2010, 01:24:21 PM »

I know, but its hard to find a good programmer that wants to collaberate with me  WTF
When I get my new graphics tablet at christmas hopefully I can produce some better art and I might post a request somewhere around here...

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: November 03, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »

Coming up with the idea...I honestly never have any idea what I want to make...so I end up just making stuff and in the end it's yet another tech demo with no point and no graphics and no gameplay to speak of.

I should probably just give up on design and work with someone who knows what they're doing :D

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic