Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:39:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour biggest obstacle to create a game?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
Print
Author Topic: Your biggest obstacle to create a game?  (Read 79124 times)
JJames19119
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 07, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »

General laziness usually tends to keep me from working, but my biggest reasons for not finishing any projects I have is usually being too ambitious, and if not, my inability to be satisfied with the goals I set originally causes it to crash. A lot of projects I've started and then dropped before even getting a basic framework done were victims of being overly ambitious. I have at least two projects where the base engine, a lot of features and one of them is actually extremely close to being done, but I dropped them, because I couldn't perfect them as much as I wanted to. I just gave up.

I think I've learned from those mistakes though, as a few small projects I've made in the past year have went very well, so hopefully I can get the energy needed to make my main current projects resemble success.

You don't know me. No, really, you don't.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 08, 2010, 02:01:52 PM »

I have 12 hours I can work on my game this weekend. This will be a good test. 

I've been pretty lazy lately, I justify it by saying I've had a lot of schoolwork. The thing is though, game development should be fun. I think it's because I'm learning openGL and I'm hitting walls a lot.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 09, 2010, 07:47:57 AM »

If it isn't school, then it's more than likely procrastination.
That needs to be fixed so badly.
ink.inc
« Reply #423 on: October 10, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

Google Procrastitracker and download it. This will make you feel bad about yourself after seeing that weekend you set aside for fixing your collision detection devolve into a 20 hour long marathon of Angel streamed from Netflix.
Valyou
« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »

Needing to code Cry I'd rather think up ideas in my head before really beginning coding them into a reality. But I suck at coding anyways Angry
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2010, 08:09:58 AM »

Picking one idea to develop or one new skill to learn over another. It's hard to decide what to devote the majority of your time to when everything seems equally interesting...

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: October 12, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

Frustration. It's really hard to keep working when you can't even get the game to do 'simplest' things and you can't find any help for your problem. Then your system crashes.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »

Frustration. It's really hard to keep working when you can't even get the game to do 'simplest' things and you can't find any help for your problem. Then your system crashes.
Why can't you find any help? NDA? I mean there are lots of experience people and forums and stuff on the internet who might help you.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »

Why can't you find any help? NDA? I mean there are lots of experience people and forums and stuff on the internet who might help you.

Usually it's I ask, and then I receive no acknowledgement that I even asked a question. I'm not sure it's because they just don't know, or that they just don't care. Either way, I've given up on asking people for help that requires remotely any effort on their part. I try and find tutorials on the subject, but usually I can't find something specific enough to help me with the problem, so I trial and error until I figure it out or give up. Both of which are fairly frustrating.

Dlaor
Level 0

Premium Member

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 13, 2010, 08:25:01 AM »

School keeps me from doing school work.
"Oh hey lets implement a collision detection system for my Pac-man remake... oh wait, 4 tests tomorrow...  Angry" (this is a real story, by the way, I truly have 4 tests tomorrow!)
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »

Usually it's I ask, and then I receive no acknowledgement that I even asked a question. I'm not sure it's because they just don't know, or that they just don't care.
Hu. I've experienced most forums quite helpful so far. I don't know what and where you're asking though.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »

Usually it's I ask, and then I receive no acknowledgement that I even asked a question. I'm not sure it's because they just don't know, or that they just don't care.
Hu. I've experienced most forums quite helpful so far. I don't know what and where you're asking though.

Mostly TIGIrc. Maybe that's the mistake right there. They mostly just talk about boobies and SC2 in there. I'm sure if SC2 ever got boobies #tigirc would implode. :D

I'm used to working by myself anyway. It's probably better that way anyway.

Absurdist
Level 0

Waiting for VBLANK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »

The mother fuckin' vidya.
ink.inc
« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

The internet is both my greatest asset and my greatest obstacle. There's so much valuable information out there- tutorials, manuals, and contact with other indies- but also so much time wasting bullshit. So whenever I genuinely need to get some work done, I unplug my ethernet so as not to get distracted.
Sakar
« Reply #434 on: October 14, 2010, 01:34:50 PM »

The internet is both my greatest asset and my greatest obstacle. There's so much valuable information out there- tutorials, manuals, and contact with other indies- but also so much time wasting bullshit. So whenever I genuinely need to get some work done, I unplug my ethernet so as not to get distracted.
This

I spend WAY too much time browsing the internet. It usually starts with me looking at the SDL documentation, then next thing I know I'm on YouTube watching Tourettes Guy for the 1000th time.

Aside from that, I'm also a bit of a perfectionist. I can spend hours formatting my code nicely and tweaking variables so that everything works perfectly.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: October 14, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »

I've had maybe a total of 10 days off of work in the past 2 months. That's quite a setback too, and it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better this year. There's two other people that work my shift/position; one's having pregnancy complications and the other's having severe lung problems - we're talking ER-level here. So now, it's pretty much the power team (me, myself, and I) to keep that part of the store going. At least until one or both can recover.

Much as I wish this were the premise of a fast-paced action-arcade game, it sadly is not.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:52 AM »

Stress.  Crazy

VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: October 15, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »

Stress.  Crazy

This. Being stressed about work/relationships/the game itself -- whatever, it is a big creativity and productivity killer for me. Not only for my hobby (making stuff, not only games) but also for my work life, where, as a product designer, I also "need" to be creative. Stress sucks.

And I recently moved to a new place & started at my new work... go figure.  Tired

ansel
Level 0

I/O

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 15, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »

Scope creep is my life.
iffi
« Reply #439 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »

School, and my sub-1 minute attention span.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic