Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412117 Posts in 69452 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 30, 2024, 09:50:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHarvest Crossing - A Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing Game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Harvest Crossing - A Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing Game  (Read 6694 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 06:33:08 AM »

Hey, this looks fun!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »

Devlog #7 - 22/09/17

Fade effect now there so here it is: going to sleep Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

I like the per-room design philosophy that AC has. It allows each room to be its own little diorama with its own personality and function. Plus I would always use the basement as my "whatever" room where I chucked turnips and other things i didn't need

For my game I'm going with per-room, but rooms can also go beyond "8x8 square" or "16x16 square". For example, you can select a 'Kitchen' with obvious spots for appliances, a spot for a dining room set, and so on

Oh that's interesting. I might do multiple rooms in a single map? If that makes sense? Looks like you transitioned screens but you didn't. Or maybe that the previous room fades out? I'll see how it goes. Smiley

Hey, this looks fun!

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »

Devlog #8 - 24/09/17

Spent a little bit of time figuring out how to do palette swaps, adding furniture, and moving furniture around.  Smiley

I'll probably switch back to finishing up the crop system next.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »

Devlog #9 - 04/10/17

Haven't been doing much since I've been ill, but I'm doing pixeltober with Harvest Crossing sprites since I've been putting off the whole art thing;;;

Here's a compilation of them so far~

I tried my hand at making a wood cabin. There's a lot to fix but this is as much time as I had for it.

I'm working on a little scene right now since I don't have much free time during the week. So far I've made a table, pumpkin and string lights. Smiley

I've also been thinking of the Halloween event for Fall and I think I'm going to make a pumpkin carving minigame. Well, I say minigame but really you'll just be able to carve a pumpkin. I think it'll be fun Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »

Devlog #10 - 08/10/17

\o/ Happy Thanksgiving \o/

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »

Devlog #11 - 14/10/17

Here's this week's pixeltober round up Smiley

Plants + perspective = hard =A=

Now that I have some actual plants I'm going to finish off the crop system Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 04:51:24 AM »

Devlog #12 - 21/10/17

Finally finished implementing the crop system! I used the carrot crop I made earlier this week for pixeltober.

I'm thinking I'm going to start doing a code refactor soon (since I've been hacking a lot of stuff together) and start on putting the world together. Even if the art assets will be temporary I think it would help at this stage if I start planning out things like the town. Smiley

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »

Devlog #13 - 11/02/18

Been busy with Gataela so I haven't been able to do much of anything really. Here's a little round up of small things I did in the past week or two though. For now I'm just focusing on art over gameplay. I really want to do a lot of visual development and get the feeling of the world and then from there fill in all the little details. Smiley

Made some wooden steps to be used while walking around mountains and so on. I saw some and it reminded me of when I used to go camping and we used these to walk up steep/rolling hill sides.

I made a small placeholder bridge

Made a small fountain placeholder and made the lamps turn on when it's night/raining.

Starting to make tool icons Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:19:21 AM by pmarincak » Logged

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »

May I suggest you make the fountain more of an oval instead of a circle.

Like this

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »

Devlog #14 - 23/06/18

Busy as always but I found a little time to make a greenhouse. I'm still tinkering with the art style and figuring out the perspective. Good news is that I've been messing with effects in Gamemaker and it's generally going well. I'll probably be making a post about it in the future once things are optimized a little better. Smiley In the meantime I'm glad things are starting to feel a little more "farm-y".

May I suggest you make the fountain more of an oval instead of a circle.

Like this

:O
Thanks a lot! This was kinda what I was hoping to go for but I couldn't find any references like this <3

DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »

This looks so cute! I was going to try an make a game called Harvest Crossing when I was younger  Cheesy I settled for Hidden Land: The Lost Village instead  Tongue

ravioli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 06:09:49 AM »

Looks nice! Like the colors. The name is a little on the nose I think  Tongue
pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »

Devlog #15 - 30/06/18

It's Canada Day long weekend which means that I had a little bit of free time to work on this. I decided to make the town hall for the game, which is very heavily based on a very iconic building where I live.

There's some more detailing I would like to do eventually but I think I got it to match well Smiley

This looks so cute! I was going to try an make a game called Harvest Crossing when I was younger  Cheesy I settled for Hidden Land: The Lost Village instead  Tongue

Thank you \o/ Did you ever happen to finish it? Smiley

Looks nice! Like the colors. The name is a little on the nose I think  Tongue

Thanks Smiley And yes I've heard that before. lol I'm not sure if I'll keep the name or not, but for now it tells you more than enough about the game Smiley

DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »

I envy your ability to translate real things into art/sprites. That's one of my biggest struggles!

I did, and didn't finish it. I got it to a point where I was happy. It's still pretty buggy tho. The code was messy so I decided to stop development after releasing the final version.

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »

Devlog #16 - 14/07/18

There's a lot of wildflowers that grow where I live during the summer. I did a quick mock-up of what it were to look like if you could walk through a field of them.

I'm attempting another tree right now. We'll see how that goes  Concerned

I envy your ability to translate real things into art/sprites. That's one of my biggest struggles!

I did, and didn't finish it. I got it to a point where I was happy. It's still pretty buggy tho. The code was messy so I decided to stop development after releasing the final version.

Thank you >w< I'm actually okay at buildings and angular shapes but organic shapes are... so hard... so very hard...

And congrats \o/ Even if it wasn't "finished" you finished it and released something \o/

pmarincak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »

Devlog #17 - 20/10/19

Wow. Yikes. It sure has been a while huh? I wanted to talk a little bit about this project, which I'm slowly getting back into.

First of all, I've restarted it! Not that there was much to begin with....

Devtober came around this year and I was thinking of working on one of my projects which is a multiplayer moddable city builder. I wanted to focus on systems designs and programming and not so much on art and writing and level design. Of course, when I started to work on it, the first thing I did was go "shit I don't have assets for what I want to do!" and then made assets....

So I kinda threw out working on that project for Devtober. And that brought me back to Harvest Crossing.

From my last set of posts before I stopped updating I was focused on assets and not so much on gameplay. And that's kinda why I stopped working on the project.

Although I'm super familiar with programming (it's my day job) and writing (it's a hobby I do almost daily since I've conquered NaNoWriMo multiple times), art is a hobby that is hard for me. It's not bad that it is, but it means I get frustrated with what I produce like 99% of the time. So with Harvest Crossing I got a bunch of systems in using code-only and then needed art to see them work! But I was to make the art. Which is frustrating and hard. So I stopped. After all, Harvest Crossing is a side project right now.

And fundamentally I think I got hung up too much on the art. Oh having it look the way I wanted, without thinking too much about stuff from a gameplay perspective and to just "block" stuff out. A lot of stuff I was making because I thought it would be nice. I wasn't really moving towards having a game.

So I've come back to it but tossing EVERYTHING OUT and...

Using Harvest Moon assets as placeholder!

I'm going to be starting from here using these as a base to get a game in place as my "programmer art" and then replace them when the time is ready. I'm hoping this will help me come up with the asset list I need, and get all of the systems I need in place before the long haul called Pixel Art Animation.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic