Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:16:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixelpunk XL
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pixelpunk XL  (Read 3080 times)
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:09:10 AM »

Hello everyone,

In the first devlog I want to introduce my game and show what have been done recently.

Pixelpunk XL is a pixelated old school first person shooter with rogue-like mechanics set in sci-fi environment. It is similar to old games, such as Descent and Forsaken, but with rogue-like gameplay type.

Early gameplay prototype is here:

IndieDB page:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/pixelpunk-xl

The levels generates randomly, combining different types of tunnels and rooms. Also in each room and big tunnel there are obstacles and decorations, which appear randomly after generating of the main level. The game has different types of enemies, also I plan to add several bosses with unique environment.

The most of tunnels and rooms are already set, in the past couple of weeks I have added 2 new types of enemies:

Also some new types of tunnels have been added:

The decorations and obstacles will make each level look unique, there is a lot of work to do, but here are some recent examples:

Just for fun:

Happy holidays!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:58:40 AM by JohnyBGooD » Logged

Twitter ••• Facebook
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:20 AM »

Hey guys,

The second entry for Pixelpunk XL devlog is here. All new and interesting from the development is described below.   

In the last week I was working a lot on the new constructions and sci fi panels to decorate some rooms and tunnels. Now the biggest rooms have completely different look and it changes every time after random generation of the level.

I am still working on the post procession filters which make the retro style look.

Work on lighting never stops and here are some new examples and screenshots.

There is still a lot of work on random levels, but now I'm starting to think about bosses. What will they look like? We'll see.

Twitter ••• Facebook
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:41:51 AM »

Greetings!

The third devlog is a video demonstration of what I have been worked on in the past several weeks. So, here is what the gameplay looks like in the current state of development:

There is still a lot of work to do and release date is not exactly defined, but Steam page for the game has been already set:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/803850/Pixelpunk_XL/

Twitter ••• Facebook
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »

Hello everyone,

The game received a major update in the past 2 weeks. Now there are 2 new enemy types and 3 new weapons for the player. Also the game now has gamepad support, camera shake and lens distortion at high speed, info panels for player's ammo and health, replenishments of ammo and health which drop from exploded enemies.

Kamikaze and Electroshock are 2 new enemies which player will meet in the rooms and tunnels. The first one chases the player till collision and then explodes, the second one - hits the player with electric shock from a short distance. Here's how they look:

Player's weapon arsenal has been improved with rockets for the right gun and 2 new weapons for the left gun. Next are screenshots showing all the above in action:

Updated gameplay video is coming soon!

Twitter ••• Facebook
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 12:20:06 AM »

Interesting look! Can't wait to see some GIFs of the gameplay!

JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »

Thanks! Currently I plan to make an updated gameplay video.

Twitter ••• Facebook
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 05:59:25 AM »

This looks so good  Screamy It seems to control super well and the graphics are ON POINT, retro but subtly employing modern tech (I don't think you'd be able to have that many moving light sources back in the day). Your pixel shader is great - you have something subtle going on at a higher resolution on top of the low res rendering?

I'd maybe think twice about the name? Both the words "pixel" and "punk" are heaaaaaavily used in the indie games scene and best case scenario it won't stand out much, worst case scenario people might have a bit of an eyerolly reaction...

Really looking forward to see where this is going Smiley
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 07:34:15 AM »

Thanks for your comment. This is not a pixel shader, it's post processing filter. The screenshots above were made on 1920X1080 resolution. And about the name - this word is unique, it can attract attention. I don't want to use trivial names.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Twitter ••• Facebook
chalcidfly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »

Roguelike + FPS is a really interesting combo, hadn't thought of that before. Looks good! Are there ways for the player to level up as they go through levels?

Follow me on twitter @LincolnBergeson for regular updates on my games
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »

Thanks!

You can expand only your own skills in the game Grin Progress is focused on unlocking the bosses.

Twitter ••• Facebook
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »

The name really doesn't match the game at all to me, but the concept sounds good!  HUD elements look kind of sloppy to me in the most recent screens, but aside from that the visual style is cool ... looking forward to seeing more  Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, everything in the game looks slope and pixelated. This makes it unique, and that's why it's pixelpunk.

Twitter ••• Facebook
matriax
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 03:21:51 AM »

Love the art style with that pixelate stuff and if i'm right with bayer dither 8x maybe?

Also gameplay/look reminds me an old game called "Terminal Velocity" maybe you can get some ideas from there! Wink
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 03:44:31 AM »

Thanks for your comment. I am using just a simple hand made post processing 2d filter for pixelation. The most of textures are not pixelated, but the pixelated picture appears after the post processing in real time. Terminal Velocity is another cool game from the past, I am using it as a reference together with Descent and Forsaken.

Twitter ••• Facebook
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »

Looks like it could be pretty cool. Descent is pretty much the best. I think you need to make the enemies bigger though, or at least make sure they have enough contrast with the environment. The first few enemies you destroy in the video, it just looks like you are shooting at empty air.

Ayrik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »

Shocked I'm following this immediately
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »

Thanks, guys for your comments. Yes, you are right about the enemies.

Twitter ••• Facebook
JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 11:44:43 PM »

Now the enemies are highlighted:

Twitter ••• Facebook
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

Very pleased by this trend of 3D pixel-y games. Looks rad

Not sure about that highlight as it's pretty large

JohnyBGooD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »

Thanks for your feedback. It is still in development and can look different later.

Twitter ••• Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic