Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:08:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2635134 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4680 on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »

props if anyone gets what i'm alluding to with the veryred noses.

Hopefully the theme is equally friendly for LD Smiley survival pirates isn't very hard to work with, but i'm not sure how i'd go with minimalist scifi without getting very bored of my sprites. Maybe i could do pillhead robots with funny limbs or something and just make the gameplay minimal (2 button hero)

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4681 on: April 19, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »

Character selection

You'll hate me for this, but I figured someone has to tell you, might as well be me: That's a man, baby!

I'd slim down the neck, drop the shoulders a bit, remove definition around the collar area and reduce the nose and jawline...
But then again, if that's actually what you're going for, then congratulations on being brave and I'd play it. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: April 20, 2012, 03:27:35 AM »

Character selection

You'll hate me for this, but I figured someone has to tell you, might as well be me: That's a man, baby!

I'd slim down the neck, drop the shoulders a bit, remove definition around the collar area and reduce the nose and jawline...
But then again, if that's actually what you're going for, then congratulations on being brave and I'd play it. Smiley

Great point, I did not see that before but now I only see a shemale. I tempted to leave it as one... Every good game needs a character with a questionable gender?

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4683 on: April 20, 2012, 04:36:20 AM »

Very nice, I especially like those vines.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4684 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:46 AM »

not for anything i am working on my game like a good boy

A shame! I find it amazing.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:27 AM »

... I'm not good at graphics  Crazy

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4686 on: April 20, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »

Kamac one thing I would suggest is learning about color values. all the greys seem to be about the same shade and then you just slid the value slider to get the other colors. one thing you can try is choosing a color for the "ambient lighting" so lets say you used a warm yellow like outside. you would want to add a little bit of yellow to the lit areas, and a little bit of a cool blue to the shadowy areas. or you could go the other rout and use a cool blue for the lit areas and a warmer orange or yellow for the shadows. remember when picking colors you should be moving a lot of the sliders not just the value. I can do a quick edit if you want to explain better.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: April 20, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »

Thanks, But I am programmer rather than an artist  Shrug
My sense of art is pretty much low.

ink.inc
« Reply #4688 on: April 20, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »

I'm a programmer too. My major is in engineering, but that doesn't mean I can't practice making art and become a more well-rounded person!

And even if you don't have an artistic bone in your body, learning color theory is something very doable, and will have great impact on the appeal of your work. Just give it a gander, it's not rocket science!
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: April 20, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »

My major is in engineering, but that doesn't mean I can't practice making art and become a more well-rounded person!

Right on. More engineers should think this way. A lot of the other robotics/mech eng and computer science students I know are pretty disdainful about creativity. It's sad

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4690 on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

Yeah, being good at one thing is a poor excuse for being bad at another.

Life isn't an RPG where the programming class can't equip the paintbrush, and where if you put all your points in art you are unable you upgrade your logic.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4691 on: April 20, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »

Yeah, being good at one thing is a poor excuse for being bad at another.

Life isn't an RPG where the programming class can't equip the paintbrush, and where if you put all your points in art you are unable you upgrade your logic.

Actually it's kind of worse. There are only so many hours in a day, and what you fill them with pretty much dictates what you're great at. If that's 20 hours of programming a week and you can only fit in a half hour of art, your art's going to suffer. And if you leave a skill alone for a while, you'll get worse at it.

That being said, if you have the time, there's no reason why you can't get better. Unless there is. But usually all you need to do is put in the time.

ink.inc
« Reply #4692 on: April 20, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »

hmm

even so, learning how to pick colors is not very hard to learn

maybe an hour or so to learn the basic principles (you can pick up on the rest as you practice/experiment)

and you get a LOT of bang for your buck

jwk5 has some pretty cool tutorials in the art subforum, i'd give them a gander

(or if you're really lazy you can just steal your palettes from colour lovers)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

I have learnt a tiny bit of color theory, and it has benefited me greatly as a programmer. Stuff needs to be colored all the time. If you know some of the basics (hue/saturation/value/light) you can do some stuff without consulting a designer. Saving you lots of time in the end.

It can be good to specialize heavily in something to become truly great at it. But learning all kinds of different crafts and science can help you see things in new ways and make new and creative connections. I have been told that innovation often comes from people who manage to combine ideas from different fields.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: April 20, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

...I'm struggling to come up with a name though...
Sandwich?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: April 20, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

Left-brain/right-brain dichotomy is a lie.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: April 21, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »

I like this. Not sure what kind of game it would be though.

Savick
« Reply #4698 on: April 21, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »

Cross posting this from my dev log because I want wuv wuv.

Bigger screen.
http://imgur.com/csBpe
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: April 21, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

I like this. Not sure what kind of game it would be though.

Survival adventure action rpg rts micro management shmup simulator tycoon

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic