Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 05:13:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallOur New Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Our New Game  (Read 3371 times)
mark_i_efc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:24 AM »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, though I hope now to be posting more regularly. I wanted to point you all in the direction of our new game "Kahoots" which we released yesterday. It's our 4th since coming into existence last year, but just the second which is our own IP. It's a 50 level puzzle game where you swap the tiles which form the floor to help the Kahoot reach the exit. Some of the tiles will help, and some will need to be avoided. You must also steer clear of the Cardborg, who is the sworn enemy of the Kahoot. You won't be left in the dark, as there are tutorials which are sung by the Pegbeast as you progress through the game.

We are also trying out a new payment system called Mochicoins, so the first 20 levels are freely available and the remaining thirty are available for purchase using mochicoins, it's 2,400 coins ($3) to buy them.

We're really chuffed with how it looks, we had an art budget of around £50 when we made it, so we bought everything from poundshops and craft shops and scanned it in. Our designer has an animation background and stop-mo'ed the Kahoot and Cardborg, the coder and his brother composed and sang all the songs, so we've put a lot of love into this, and we hope you like it too.

Controls are all on the mouse.

http://www.savethekahoots.com/
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:42:28 AM »

here:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=155.0

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

mark_i_efc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:54:05 AM »

Sorry!

*shuffles off, head bowed, to naughty step feeling suitably admonished*

Filling in obligatory intro thread now. Apologies to all for leaping in without thinking.
Luilak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:15:04 AM »

Fun concept, but I find it running really slow. Might be my computer though. Nevertheless, I gave up after for levels due to being tired of waiting. And I'd really wouldn't mind to see a fast forward button, unless i'm missing it.

Other than that, I love the style, both graphics and the way you present the instructions :D
mark_i_efc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »

Cool, thanks, though it is a pity you couldn't get it running quickly enough. What are you running it on? It's quite weighty in terms of flash apps, but it's more down to the background materials and the songs. Not sure why it's running slow unless it's being clobbered by thousands of people desperate to see what all the fuss is about.

*crosses fingers on last point*
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »

ahah i love it, very nice, pegbeast is ace.

A fastfoward button like lemmings would make it a perfect puzzle game, it ran normally i think but when you've completed your swaps you should make the level end as fast as you can
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:40:10 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »

Wow the load time is killer.  I almost crashed my browser!  Shocked

The presentation is quite awesome!  It's nice to see someone carrying on the spirit of such art.  I swear the last good one I played was Neverhood.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »

Hi Mark, Craig here. Dunno if you remember me, I visited your office a while ago (I would be more specific but I really have no idea if it was even this year or last year!). The game turned out really nice Smiley no problems here with either load times or running speeds.

UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »

I like it!   Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley  Nice little puzzle game with nice friendly graphics.  Oddly enough, rather than being annoyed by them I actually found myself looking forward to the pegbeast's songs   Tongue

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »

I've been playing it some more and I do have a few suggestions:

-I really wish I could see more of the playing field.  I guess that's not really an option.
-The fast-forward button is a great idea!
-When you complete a level that's been finished already, you should go back to the map
instead of the next level.

Really, all minor nitpicks.  You guys did an excellent job.  I hope it makes front page!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 05:02:08 AM »

I like it!   Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley  Nice little puzzle game with nice friendly graphics.  Oddly enough, rather than being annoyed by them I actually found myself looking forward to the pegbeast's songs   Tongue

i loved it too XD maybe because you can always stop it, and he will say "aww sorry"  :D and it's a new thing for a tutorial.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »

Ok that was just a really fun experience. The art style is great, and really fresh. The sound and music is fantastic, and as has been mentioned peg-beast is brilliant! I was actually sad on the levels where he didn't have a song for me! Good luck with the game, I hope you are successful with it because you really deserve it.

Also, £50 art budget?! Are you serious? That's pretty bloody tiny, but i assume you mean £50 plus lots of time spent, or "free labour" if you will.

I'd be interested to hear how you find the mochicoins way of monetisation, but completely understand if you'd rather not divulge anything.

Gentleman
mark_i_efc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »

Ok that was just a really fun experience. The art style is great, and really fresh. The sound and music is fantastic, and as has been mentioned peg-beast is brilliant! I was actually sad on the levels where he didn't have a song for me! Good luck with the game, I hope you are successful with it because you really deserve it.

Also, £50 art budget?! Are you serious? That's pretty bloody tiny, but i assume you mean £50 plus lots of time spent, or "free labour" if you will.

I'd be interested to hear how you find the mochicoins way of monetisation, but completely understand if you'd rather not divulge anything.

Gentleman

Hey, thanks for the comments, we're really proud of it. There certainly seems to be a lot of love for the Pegbeast. The entire asset list (including clay) was roughly £50 (I think it was actually slightly less) and the most expensive individual item, was a bead we used for the cannon which cost £4. Obviously the modelling, stop mo, scanning and selection process was fairly lengthy, but it made easier by our designer having an animation background.

Yet to see what happens with mochicoins.
3dSquare
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »

Looks and sounds fun, but for some reason im having a problem loading it on my PC. I'll attempt again later.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »

Bah, this kind of game is not really my favourite, but it was rather well executed. Here the complaints:

• This game desperately needs fastforward.
  • Menu-wise there are way too many buttons. After the first level I pressed the "play again" button by mistake, because there are 4 other buttons on the screen and then couldn't find my way out of the first level and had to complete once again, which is a fairly lengthy process, due to the lack of fast forward. It would be more intuitive if the Next Level button was the button singled out because it's the one I'm most likely to click.
  • On a general note, I find that there are too many things going on: too much text, too much graphics. The level select menu confused me to no end the first time I saw it; I thought it was the game! This is probably just a matter of personal taste.

Otherwise, great job.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

LOL at "Pay Attention!"... Haha, "Pegbeast" :D
The game is a pretty funny time-killer. It would really be nice to fast-forward when you have "solved" the setup. I like the puzzle game-play, haven't played anything like that before. Adorable design, too... cakes, chocolate and stuff. Currently at level 10, I failed when I forgot to "drag" the screen.

k = cake? - But what are they for?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:40:12 AM by DimJimma » Logged

Curseman
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »

As has been said before, there definitely needs to be a way to speed up your dude when you've done everything you need to do.  I also think the whole "yay" thing at the end of levels should be skippable.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic