Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411999 Posts in 69443 Topics- by 58481 Members - Latest Member: Umiii7

June 18, 2024, 05:34:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLurk's Devlog (formerly:Samurai Railroad Mansion DX(flash))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Lurk's Devlog (formerly:Samurai Railroad Mansion DX(flash))  (Read 23412 times)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »

I started learning actionscript a few weeks ago. I wanted to work on a project where I would feel comfortable with the game loop. So I decided to go at it with something I've been toying around with for a while now. A revisit of my VGNG compo entry, Samurai Railroad Mansion.

I first tried doing an update using game maker, with a different presentation. I wanted to have a scrolling corridor, with characters poping and scrolling towards you. I wanted the graphic file to be way smaller than it was in the original, while having a smoother animation. But it was too busy and hard to read, and it ended up transferring file size to the backgrounds. So I gave it up, and recycled the engine to support an Eye of the Beholder kind of game. But I digress.

The goals I have set for this try at it are the same:
-Arcade experience
-smooth animation (an interactive anime)
-multiple depths gameplay

well, almost
-has to run on portable machines(psp, cellphones) so it can compete with the likes of Bobby Bearing Smiley

So, the challenge will be to have the game run on a more or less limited console, graphically. With more animation frames than the original game. Ohoh.

Also, one of the things I wanted to improve from the original was the graphics style and polish. I had to rush things a bit during the competition, because I chose to redo the whole thing in the final few days. Now, the problems are different- no definite deadline, but very little spare time to concentrate on making it look good.
Luckily, over the years, I have developed techniques that allow me to work in that kind of situation. So, most of the free time I have is on the train I take daily to go to work, and a 30 minutes bumpy bus ride. I can program and use flash to draw rough sketches/animations on the commute. But I need to be sitting comfortably for a few hours to flesh out the pictures.

From flash to a psp sized artwork.

Right now, I'm in the process of converting my flash sketches to 128 color palette png's, to test my optimization on psp(vector art is pretty slow). Programming-wise, I've implemented the blue samurai(he attacks or excuses himself), the geisha(don't kill) and the brown samurai(he blocks if you attack him while his sword is sheathed). I've already started the ninja and armored samurai, they're not too complex compared to the brown samurai. So in the next week, I'll have these strips for the default types:

and a running psp fps test. Hopefully, it will look somethin like this:

One thing, I mentioned default types, because I want a lot more variety this time around, and something resembling a narrative (though a 'Z' grade one) to link the different levels together.
So that's it for this entry. Cheers! Beer!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:10:47 AM by Lurk » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »

It's absolutely amazing to watch how those scribbles translate into such vivid drawings. Best of luck to you, sir, we need more games with such professional artwork.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »

Agreed, that is some amazing art right there. And you're giving it to us? Shucks.

(I also really really need to play Samurai Railroad Mansion right now, but alas, sucky computer.)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »

Is it running on a PSP?
What happened to the commonplace compo game? Concerned

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:27:36 AM »

I really loved the original, so  Gentleman Hand Thumbs Up Right

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:20 AM »

Moi: It's running on a psp, just skipping frames right now, because I just took my swf and directly ported it without optimizing resources. And my commonplace book game is still alive(I'm also going to port it to flash actionscript once I'm done with this game's code), it just was a bit more complicated to do in as a first AS project(it's a kind of Ghost'n Goblins, with jumping and collisions).
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:04:37 AM »

Ah, an updated Samurai Railroad Mansion? Fantastic! Really loved your original. Simple, but cool. And the visual detail looks incredible.

-has to run on portable machines(psp, cellphones) so it can compete with the likes of Bobby Bearing Smiley

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. You're competing with Beloved Retro Classic Bobby Bearing, by Edge Games? Lurk, you just plain old crazy.

I always forget it was part of the VGNG - I think you were the only person who avoided the inherent absurdity of potential Hitler's Jetpack Kombats, or Distinguished Octopus Summoners.

ALSO: There is a segment of a screenshot of a shmup on your website. It is beautiful. What is it?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »

So you can port flash to PSP?
I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT!

Anyway, Lurk, it's awesome as usual.

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »

Thank-you for sharing the different phases of your art's progression!  It's really neat to see how the samurai starts off as a rough sketch and turns into this beautifully detailed and colored finished product.  I always liked those "pop-up shoot the bad guy" arcade games, but your characters seem a lot more interesting than the ones in the games I used to play Tongue  Anyways, good luck with your project!

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
SidM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »

Wow -- Beautiful art.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »

Looking really awesome there.

I like turtles.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 01:51:49 AM »

Moi: Yes, you can open a .swf with your psp, but it needs to be optimized and coded for it- for example, instead of vector art, you have to use png, which is not a big deal if you want to use a fixed size.

Gainsworthy: The shmup screen is from a prototype I have for a space shooter. I have a few lying around now, with different gameplays, which I might tie up together once I get some spare time Smiley. This one was an experiment with 3d rendered ships(using blender cel shading) and 2d art (backgrounds).
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »

Wow!  Amazing artwork, Lurk.  Kiss
The animation  and cinematics look really slick; I can't wait to see this polished.
Also, do you have any links or tutorials for porting Flash to PSP?  I've never really hacked anything before, and coding for a portable console would be super cool... Also I have Flash now (yay).

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »

Masna : http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/psp_games.html I read this before trying to transfer my code to psp. The thing is, most of the lessons there apply to every game on every platform : optimize your resources as much as you can.

Yes, optimizing, but not just the resources. I like to optimize the way I work to, whenever possible. I always try to find ways to streamline assets using recipes; that might be a simple color base I apply to every grayscale image before I start coloring them, or in the case of this project, using a program to save animation time while still keeping good looking art.
Enter Anime Studio Pro. I've been experimenting with it for a while, and have gotten some good results with sprites generally. For Samurai Railroad Mansion DX, I want anime style mini-cutscenes popping around everywhere. Doing that in traditional keyframe while keeping the level of detail and polish I like would be a bit over-ambitious (and quite possibly crazy). For example, the 'intro' for the generic blue bushi has 15 frames, for which I have drawn 7 keyframes (each lasting 2 frames before switching). It looks nice in squiggly black and white sketch, but I know once I start adding clothes folds there's going to be tears and alcohol involved. So this morning I have put Anime Studio on my laptop, and have tried a few things.

Right now it is only using one picture for the body, 3 for the head changing (+ on motion blur head) and one background. I'll try adding 2 more body postures tomorrow. What I like about this program is that I can create animations rough pictures, and replace them later as I polish them. I can also use the bone system to add some subtle movement to the cloth. There are ways to add shadows without using the program's primitive options too. I'll try to post an updated version tomorrow, with the attack segment included(25 frames). Oh yeah, and my patented speedlines effect Smiley
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »

That's awesome. Must remember that for times I need a 'BWAHHH' face.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »

I'm not too hot on the blur

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

nor am I. I think something much snappier that emphasizes the last change rather than tries to hide it would look slick.

like:
hmm, I'm looking off into the distance (start)
oh you, I didn't see you there (first fades into second with some blending or something)
WHY YOU INSOLENT LITTLE RATSHIT (second snaps to third, no or minimal transition, face quivers, barely containing samurai-rage, motions insinuating that the head just moved really quickly with some bouncing or something as it tries to regain central balance.)

I dunno.

Anyway this looks sweet, but that goes without saying. After all, it's Lurk.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »

i like the blur but it's a little bit excessive, it leaves a strange alone around his head, giving the impression of a gaussian blur not a motion blur.

It's always better than using a fade anyway, fade makes your animation look like a fancy slideshow.

So i'm all for the blur but a little less blurred maybe Smiley

Anyway that's nitpicking because the whole thing looks fucking awesome  Well, hello there! you're a great artist

EDIT: ok now i get what's wrong with that blur, it blurs on both sides of the head, it should blur only on the right side of the image, as he's turning the head from that direction to front...

EDIT2:
i tried doing this: i've smeared the latter face to look a bit like the first one, and blended the two (the left side of the first with the second edited one, to make  it look like a middle frame from the two, then horizontally blurred it

it *should* look good in motion, hope it helps, maybe not  Shrug
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:39:54 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »

Instead of the blur, you could use either one or 3 frames of the head, rotated each time respectively at 45 and -45 degrees.
Like he was shaking his head very fast.

The Guardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »

Maybe you should animate it somehow so we can see how it would look instead of having us try to piece it together.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic