Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411974 Posts in 69437 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: korimalicn

June 15, 2024, 06:31:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLurk's Devlog (formerly:Samurai Railroad Mansion DX(flash))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Lurk's Devlog (formerly:Samurai Railroad Mansion DX(flash))  (Read 23407 times)
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »

I'm excited to play more Samurai Railroad Mansion

Your art is wonderful

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 05:45:07 PM »

Moi: That's what I did this morning Smiley. I think I won't be able to get away without a few rough frames inserted between more polished work.
Eclipse: His character though, can be either aggressive or cowardly, so he can't look too courageous or annoyed in his intro segment. 

I still have some work to do on it(probably 2-3 more heads and bodies for transitions,fx/speedlines, extend the pictures that were cut by the camera and of course, detail the hell out of it Smiley), but for now it will have to do for my next psp resource test. 

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

Looks like a good start!

I can't wait to see how this game turns out, beautiful artwork.  Epileptic

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »

looks great, I would push the facial expression on that last frame though.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »

It looks great,but IMVHO it would gain if you could get rid of a few frames of anim.
There seems to be way too much stuff going on right now.
Minimalism and ellipsis are key aspects of the japanese/anime aesthetics (and of the traditional samurai story too). Inspired by zen philosophy probably.
Take a look at some NeoGeo/arcade intros to see all that can be achieved with just a couple well selected frames.(

for example)
And it could bring more intensity to the movement too.

Or maybe you want to go for a more old school 1950s chambara movie style with more rough movement and out-of-breath enemies shuffling their limbs wildly, but even in this case I think there are to many different expressions for the head in this anim.

But don't pay too much attention to what I say, it will be great anyway Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:32:55 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »

This is so awesome.

Must see more animations

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »

This one is coming along well. There's still a lot of work to do, but at least my basic Anime Studio timeline is done, and I can easily add transition to make the jumping frames smoother.
And I started the second one.

I will probably have her carrying a plate of drinks, since the first act is set up in an inn with a fat lord and his bodyguards.

V
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

Lookin' great so far. I can't wait to see what the final project looks like. You are indeed a talented artist.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:43 AM »

Take a look at some NeoGeo/arcade intros to see all that can be achieved with just a couple well selected frames.(

for example)

are you joking? that intro uses tons of frames for each short animation  WTF

BTW lurk are you making it for psp minis? I got some contacts at sony if you're interested in doing it commercially, but prolly you're already on that way

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »

http://lurksoft.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_2_Games

I put a playable prototype on my website. It doesn't run very well on psp though; still, the experience gained from optimizing and researching was worth it- as the visuals might now show. Controls are explained under the flv. The graphics are not final, I hope to get some time during my christmas vacation to do a crunch pass over everything, and hopefully have the game done by february. Smiley

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »

a bit too repetitive, but it is a prototype.

looks really cool. might look even better if you swing a sword rather then just the swipe.

can't wait for more

Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »

Wow I'm honestly giddy after looking at the art / animation style. Like a little boy in a candy shop, I WANT MORE!!! Smiley

Beautiful work.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »

At first I thought it was too fast,but it can be played like that maybe.
Only thing maybe you could create 3 keys for each position instead of arrows+space (ex: Z X C)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 05:13:16 AM »

moi: I've thought about that, using only the direction arrows to make a kill. But it's not the same as having 2 commands: there is a point where your brain is overwhelmed by information, and you start panicking- having to confirm the command with a button makes it important to keep your cool. The slash button design also allows for a special technique- the slide. You can kill 3 with a single slash if you execute the motion quickly enough( for example space then <- then -> will kill the two guys at the EDGE(tm) of the screen). But I'm still open to the single arrow kill, especially on cellphones.
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »

would be fun with a touch interface like iPhone
slashing across the guys and having a blood trail that follows the direction of your finger slash motion.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

http://lurksoft.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_2_Games
an update with more HUD placement(score, lives and combo display), plus dead and dishonor screen, and I finally understand how to embed fonts, yea! I added the WIP geisha, for variety. In the original game, I had specific types with consequences attached to each death/life. Now I have types, so it will be easier to make a bigger game graphics-wise. For example, the opening scene takes place in an old inn in the bamboo field, so the defenseless encounter is the servant geisha, the common enemy is the blue bushi and I have a new special type added for that scene, the cowardly fat lord(he's a bonus kill).

Also, I started adding animated stuff to the background- notice the rough floating drape.

Jajitsu: a previous prototype had the whole hero lunging into the screen and slashing the enemy, but it was too confusing. It had to be repetitive, with the single blue attacking bushi; try the updated version, with the geishas. Don't kill them though.

Dan: I don't know how to program for Iphone though...yet.  Wink
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »

yeah, the is much better.

will there be other levels and enemies?

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

Jajitsu: Of course! The original game had something like 12 different encounters and 8 static levels, but I want more for this one. Hidden stages, unlockables, cinematics explaining the zany story. This is going to be my version of 'Passage' Smiley. I'm going to make people cry. 
Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

Haha - IDK if I'm ready to cry tonight, but that's a good goal.

It plays very smoothly so far.  Bravo.

The timing feels kinda weird on the Geishas.  The art is pretty to look at.  With the Big be moving forward each frame?  Might be cool if you made it 1 point perspective and scaled it up towards the camera like those never ending zoom pictures.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »

Wander- Yeah, the geisha was missing a frame somewhere. I put an updated version up. I wanted to do the zoom in thing, I just don't know how to do it to keep things light Embarrassed

I have a small request, if anyone knows flash, I'm wondering if you can explain how to make a bitmap font(or use pictures instead of fonts). I'm only using them for numbers right now, and I would like to be able to put effects on them, but I'm kind of stuck. Also, is there a way to move between scenes (like goto scene_x?). In the doc, I could only find how to go to the next scene in line in the list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic