Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 01:59:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDooder will love you passionately - Demo Now Available!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Dooder will love you passionately - Demo Now Available!  (Read 9431 times)
sexysexybicycle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »

UPDATE ::: 07.16.10

So, long time no update on this thing. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by dragging this post back from the dead... I don't mean to be a bumper, but...

I just released the first demo for Dooder! Click on the link below to head to the Dooder webpage and download it.

You can also check out the new trailer I made right

!

So basically, it's just an engine test. If you play it and have a second, PLEASE let me know any glitches or issues that you had while playing it. I already know there's a bunch in there, but anything you find would be helpful. Since most of you make games yourselves, any advice would be appreciated as well!

Again, I know I kind of dissapeared off of the forums for a while, but I'm trying to make this while in school, and I've got a lot of different projects going on as well. And I'm moving. EXCUSES EXCUSES!

I'm going to try to be more active on here though. I freaking love this community. So many cool people and great ideas on here. Thanks guys!

Hello friends. I'm pretty new to this whole game making thing, but I've been working on a little project called Dooder for a little while now, and I'd like to get some feedback on it. I don't have a much to show yet, but I do have...

:::screenshots:::

It's pretty early in development, but you're this little guy named "Dooder" with a sword running around and killing these guys called "Dooms", who drop "Doomdomes" that you need to finish the level. The other main characters (from left to right in the top screen) are Margaret, Weldon and Nicholas.

Also, I'm a little hesitant to reveal this, but I'm making it in Multimedia Fusion (as I don't know nuthin' about no code or nothin'), but I'm trying my damnedness to not let it show in the gameplay. MMF RULEZ!!!

I'll post more about it later, as well as a demo, but for now, I guess I'm just curious if anyone would be interested in playing this thing? Tell me how you feel. I want to know your soul...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:08:55 PM by sexysexybicycle » Logged

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »

Oh niiice. There's so much to love here design-wise, it's some bold florescent-euro-sweater-madness.

I was worried that it would be too repetitive, but the contrast between the funtastic title screen and the utterly amazing game over screen gets me excited. I'd love to see some gameplay elements as varied as the style.

ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »

I'd maybe suggest to have this moved to Devlogs. In my mind, the "Feedback" section is usually better for people who have finished games or prototypes that they want tested and feedback on, and Devlogs seems to be more where you "build hype" for your game and get feedback on new assets and ideas as you introduce them, and keep us updated on changes/improvements. But that's just the way I see it, and by no means the "rules".

Regardless, this looks pretty (ok, really) cool so far. The player character seems fairly hard to see in those screenshots for the most part, since everything is so bright, but this may not be the case in-motion. Maybe fading away the background a bit more even (as you've already done) will make it even better.

All of the character designs are excellent so far.

Also, I'm a little hesitant to reveal this, but I'm making it in Multimedia Fusion (as I don't know nuthin' about no code or nothin'), but I'm trying my damnedness to not let it show in the gameplay.

That's perfectly fine Grin you'll find that most of the members here are very open-minded when it comes to development. We've seen amazing games made in Unity (BoxGame), Game Maker (Immortal Defense), Multimedia Fusion (Bonesaw), Adventure Game Studio (Trilby: The Art of Theft), etc. So yeah, anybody who has a bias against your game based on the engine/language it's created in is just naive, and becoming a rarer breed every hour.

Of course we'd be interested in playing it Smiley we also have some big MMF wizzes around here who'd be able to offer some more specific feedback if you were in need of it too. I'd love to give this a run and offer any advice I have, since I'm a big platformer fan, and also loving the graphical style you've got happening.

Demo!

Cheers dude, welcome to tha forums.
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »

Oh this is super pretty. I'd definitely be interested in playing this game.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »

wow! Like it a lot, looks like some style I've never really seen before like this.

FiaStarta
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »

Looks cool. IMHO with such graphics there shouldn't be bad guys, you should just be collecting flowers to share them with hippies Smiley
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »

You know some people keep claiming that pixel art is getting tired and stale.  The aesthetic just can't do anything interesting or unique anymore.

Thank you sir, for giving me a slam-dunk argument against those jerks.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »

The style remind me vaguely of these games, for some reason? Don't ask me why. In any case... I used to play them when I was quite young, so due to nostalgia and also inherent awesome-looking-ness, your game looks good to me.

ChevyRay
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:45:31 PM »

Looks cool. IMHO with such graphics there shouldn't be bad guys, you should just be collecting flowers to share them with hippies Smiley

Possibly. I personally like the gothic contrast that the enemies present in this. I really want to play a demo though Well, hello there!
JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »

Looks awesome!  Let me know if you want playtesters because I'd totally give this game a go!

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 05:14:59 AM »

Hm, if it needs to be said, i'm up for betatesting too Smiley

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »

Art looks great, are these mockups or screenshots?

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers those games, Jabberwock.

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »

Looks very awesome Shocked
FiaStarta
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

Here it reminded me of Dexter's lab. The first of the 3 characters looks just like Mandark, aka Susan because his hippie parents named him that way.

And then of course there's the other famous "dude", aka "his dudeness", "duder" or "el duderino" (if you're not into the whole brevity thing), who's kind of a hippie as well.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:40:55 PM by FiaStarta » Logged
sexysexybicycle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 01:16:12 AM »

MAN! Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right It's cool to see that people are interested. I just uploaded a video, so check it out if you wanna see it in action. As I said before, I'm still in really early development, and things are still shifting and changing all the time. This is just kind of a bare bones proof of concept for what I'm kind of going for. I haven't worked on sounds and music much yet, so I just overlaid a track I made a while ago (that may or may not be in the final game) in the video.

I'd maybe suggest to have this moved to Devlogs. In my mind, the "Feedback" section is usually better for people who have finished games or prototypes that they want tested and feedback on, and Devlogs seems to be more where you "build hype" for your game and get feedback on new assets and ideas as you introduce them, and keep us updated on changes/improvements. But that's just the way I see it, and by no means the "rules".

I'm totally down for moving this topic to the devlogs is any mod out there wants to. I wasn't exactly sure where to start my topic, but after checking out the devlogs section, I definitely agree. Heh, sorry. Shrug

That's perfectly fine Grin you'll find that most of the members here are very open-minded when it comes to development. We've seen amazing games made in Unity (BoxGame), Game Maker (Immortal Defense), Multimedia Fusion (Bonesaw), Adventure Game Studio (Trilby: The Art of Theft), etc. So yeah, anybody who has a bias against your game based on the engine/language it's created in is just naive, and becoming a rarer breed every hour.

Good to hear. I've just seen so many awesome programmers on this site, and as I know next to nothing about programing, I get a little intimidated. Stupid thing to fret about, I know, but thanks for the reassurance.

Funny you should mention that, because I initially wanted to do it without enemies too! As I was trying to work out a story though, the "Dooms" (as well as their fearless leader Well, hello there!) came about. Also, I agree with ChevyRay: I like the way they contrast the happy, vibrant environment. Good suggestion though!

You know some people keep claiming that pixel art is getting tired and stale.  The aesthetic just can't do anything interesting or unique anymore.

Thank you sir, for giving me a slam-dunk argument against those jerks.

Heh, thanks man. I'm trying to be pretty simplistic with the characters and environments, but still make it shine. I'm also trying to stick to the original NES's color pallete (although obviously not the NES's color limitations) as close as possible, just for fun.

The style remind me vaguely of these games, for some reason? Don't ask me why. In any case... I used to play them when I was quite young, so due to nostalgia and also inherent awesome-looking-ness, your game looks good to me.

Hooray for Apogee! Commander Keen is a big influence on me.

Here it reminded me of Dexter's lab. The first of the 3 characters looks just like Mandark, aka Susan because his hippie parents named him that way.

And then of course there's the other famous "dude", aka "his dudeness", "duder" or "el duderino" (if you're not into the whole brevity thing), who's kind of a hippie as well.

Dexter was TOTALLY a fave growing up. Amazing style. Whooo nelly!

Anyway, thanks again to all you guys for welcoming me to the forums. I'm already in love. And yeah, I'm totally working on getting a demo together, but need to clean some things up and figure some stuff out first. Thanks doods.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 02:01:53 AM »

I'll play test the socks off this game, it looks hella fun.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »

Very awesome! Lovely visuals! Very gay in the happy, chirpy, carefree sense of the word.
I'm keeping my eye on this.

And welcome to Tigsource!

ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »

Holy smokes, I am now X5 stoked for this. Some of the cool animations and abilities, such as floating or your arms turning into TREES just looks so stellar! My god, this could be a hit, well done so far.

Stick to it, you're going places.
Curseman
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »

This looks good.

The only thing I feel I should say at this point is that in the video, the main character's facial expression seems a little too boring and motionless when he's just walking around normally.  When he attacks his face is suddenly animated, and when he gets a powerup (or whatever those changes are) his face suddenly becomes expressive, and to me the default look seems a little plain by comparison.

Anyway, it's a pretty minor thing, and I'll definitely be sure to give this a try when you release it.
FiaStarta
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »

Funny you should mention that, because I initially wanted to do it without enemies too! As I was trying to work out a story though, the "Dooms"

I hope there's a good justification for killing them.
I mean, the game looks so naively happy & the dooms so harmless, that I almost feel sorry for the gratuitous slaughter in the video Smiley

They could be turned into happy people as you hit them Smiley
Or their ashes could fertilize the ground and make flowers grow or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic