Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:07:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec  (Read 67340 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »

Holy crap Unity is awesome. I'm just now realizing how awesome it really is.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »

Holy crap Unity is awesome. I'm just now realizing how awesome it really is.

Well, hello there!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

Really nice tutorials  Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin

I'd be interested in seeing something similar for the Unreal Dev Kit as well, if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ChevyRay
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »

Shouldn't that be in a separate topic?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »

Yeah probably Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »

Thanks Alec! Really fantastic videos, worked nicely for me as a programmer who is scared/distrustful of anything that isn't a collection of source files and a folder of assets.

One question - something that repeatedly tripped me up whilst following the tutorial was that editing stuff whilst running (for example the key bindings) gets lost when you stop the game. I had to enter those key bindings about 4 times  Cry

So, is there a way to make changes made whilst running persistent? I noticed when you made the floor object whilst running you said how it was really cool. I agreed (through gritted teeth) and then hit stop and it disappeared (of course). Is there a solution to this or is it a "feature"?

Eraser
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »

I haven't really looked into this (being preoccupied with making a 2d game for assemblee, as well as finals approaching), so maybe a tutorial about using physics with a camera off the ground would be helpful. Currently, I've got my camera walking around and jumping just fine with physics, but it's stuck to the floor.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

Really helpful video thanks  Smiley

I wonder... is it possible to have "collision group"
I mean if i want my camera to collide with certain element but not my character, and my character collide with some element and not the camera (and retain physics ability. I have got through the feature of unity and did find any hint of this. Game are much more simpler to do if we can manage collision by group, as collision is nearly the basis of everything.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »

So, is there a way to make changes made whilst running persistent? I noticed when you made the floor object whilst running you said how it was really cool. I agreed (through gritted teeth) and then hit stop and it disappeared (of course). Is there a solution to this or is it a "feature"?

One way sort of around that is to change prefabs, since those changes are preserved.

But I'm not sure if there's a way to save scene changes made while the editor is running. (it would be a weird problem for them to solve, what about all the stuff you wouldn't want to save?)

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 12:06:20 AM »

I haven't really looked into this (being preoccupied with making a 2d game for assemblee, as well as finals approaching), so maybe a tutorial about using physics with a camera off the ground would be helpful. Currently, I've got my camera walking around and jumping just fine with physics, but it's stuck to the floor.

Just set an offset on the collider or parent the camera to the object that does the moving and set its local position.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 12:07:13 AM »

I wonder... is it possible to have "collision group"
I mean if i want my camera to collide with certain element but not my character, and my character collide with some element and not the camera (and retain physics ability. I have got through the feature of unity and did find any hint of this. Game are much more simpler to do if we can manage collision by group, as collision is nearly the basis of everything.

There's no built-in collision group system (because of the version of PhysX that Unity uses I think) however Flashbang has written their own collision group manager. They hate it though. I'm actually using it because there's nothing else that I know of at the moment. (its not bad for prototyping at any rate)

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 04:04:27 AM »

Thanks for the support Smiley, now i'm really considering switching to unity for next project.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »

Next tutorial will be about how this is made: http://infiniteammo.ca/schpooter/

Working on recording it right now!  Gentleman

Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »

Awesome, can't wait!  Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »

Great stuff man; looking forward to the tutorials!  Beer!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-tuesday-schpooter/

Part 1 is up!

Could someone test it out and make sure it runs on Unity indie? (free unity) Thanks!  Beer!

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »

Hey Alec,

It works fine in Unity indie. One thing you may want to mention in your tutorial (if you haven't, I didn't notice) is that if the aspect ratio of the camera isn't set to something wide enough, it will cut off the player ship.

Seen here.

Great videos. I enjoy seeing how other people work.

Gangles
Level 0

Quixotic Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-tuesday-schpooter/

Part 1 is up!

Could someone test it out and make sure it runs on Unity indie? (free unity) Thanks!  Beer!

I opened the project, then opened the scene "Game.unity". The Hierarchy loads correctly, but there's nothing in the scene.

The game runs by default in the wrong aspect ratio. As tyronehenrie suggested, setting it to 16:9 fixes this.

This is running Unity Indie 2.6.0f7 on Mac 10.5.8.

Great tutorial by the way, thanks for making it!

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »

Aha, yeah... you have to set the view manually to 16:9. Its not something that's saved in the project files.

BTW there is stuff in the scene above, you're just really far away by default. (I guess?) Select something in the heirarchy, then select the scene window and press "F"... the scene camera should zoom it into focus. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic