Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:51:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Crazy Train - Update 12/21
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Crazy Train - Update 12/21  (Read 7009 times)
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:06:15 AM »

Video  

Crazy Train.  A game about a train, and it's crazy.

Assets -
train, background tiles, trees, japanese house by +peter
grass texture by strom
background by meadowsweet
music by Jorge Boscan
coin by arachne
dude by savethedinosaurs

WORKLOG

12/21
Fixed bugs with background generation.
Can now generate 3D meshes with 2D Textures( I copied lowpoly ).
Added jumping
Added coins, but still need to finish them
Added dude at corner of the screen whose mouth opens when you jump
Added Parallax scrolling to meadowsweets background
Added shader for rendering vertex colors since unity doesn't have one
Cried.

TODO:
Finish coins
Add shooting and enemies
Add score
Polish.

12/18 Bugs in unity time.

Made the train not accelerate when it is in the air, then decided to optimize the background rendering, so that I wouldn't have to create and destroy objects during runtime.  Unfortunately, I ran into a bug in unity, which caused one of the background prefabs to have the same tag as another, even though I changed it, causing it dequeue, then enqueue into the wrong pool. So what was supposed to be a simple 30 min optimization, ended up taking hours, and not getting done.  So I'm going to have to file a bug report and hack around it.

TODO:
Hack around bug
Add jumping to train
Add guns and crosshairs

12/17
The backgrounds are now fully working, for upwards and downwards.  I got rid of the transitions, since I needed to get it done.  Had some problems with unity not spawning prefabs exactly where I was telling it to in script, so I ended up having to add offsets in script to make everything work right.  I haven't added dynamically spawning trees and buildings yet, but I'm going to save that for later, since what the game desperately needs right now is gameplay Smiley.

I'm going to snip most of the worklog and place it in an reply, so that people don't get overwhelmed reading the first post.
TODO:
Add vertex colors to the ground, for real this time.
Start on asset importing pipeline for 2d to 3d asset conversion.
Gameplay.

12/15 Another boring update
When the track is horizontal, the background now continues forever, created the transitions system for transitioning between flat and sloped backgrounds.  Created a flat transition piece, and created a background prefab for when the track goes upwards.  

TODO: Get background working for both upwards and downwards slopes.  Fix vertex colors on track.  Figure out how I'm going to use 2d assets for gameplay.

12/13
Started working on getting the background in, attached joints to the train so that it will not rotate in the wrong directions anymore.

For the background, my current direction is to create prefabs for each of the possible track types, along with a few transition tiles.  On the prefabs I will have spawn points for trees and buildings, so I can randomly spawn them to keep the background from becoming too repetitive.  Currently I have one prefab partially done( I'd like to extend it to go further into the distance ), for the flat pieces of track.  Next I have to do transitions and slopes, which will be hard.

TODO:
Remove texture from generated track and replace it with vertex colors.
Do prefabs for track sloping upwards and downwards.
Do prefabs for transitions.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:56:11 AM by longshot » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »

Fantastic, a 3D game! This gets support from me for your endeavor, good sir!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »

Good, I was hoping someone would use that train tank!

hi
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:18:24 AM »

i love you.

and all models come with unlimited PM tech support.  Gentleman

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:43:09 AM »

i love you.

and all models come with unlimited PM tech support.  Gentleman

Thanks Smiley.  Fortunately Unity has good support for blender files, so I don't think I'll have to bother you.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:43:28 AM »

let me just share with you a little thing I learned when I tested this stuff in Unity (forgive me if you know this already)
Turn off the mip maps on the train texture .. that will solve those ugly black lines you are seeing when you view the object from a distance.

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:17:29 AM »

Done, black lines removed Smiley
MegaIlinx
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »

This looks fantastic!  Beer!
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 06:38:22 AM »

This looks fantastic!  Beer!
Thanks, it will hopefully look much better in the future.  Gentleman
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »

Depending on the type of Craziness, and also the manliness, can this guy be the driver?

Music? Rock.

cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

Wahaha! Looks crazy.

Looking forward to this.

longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 04:26:51 AM »

Depending on the type of Craziness, and also the manliness, can this guy be the driver?

Music? Rock.

The assets I'm using have an oriental feel, so I don't see why not, assuming I have enough time to stick him in  Tongue

I haven't thought too much about music yet, I've only gone through a few of the music tracks that were submitted.
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 06:54:29 AM »

Older worklog entries.
12/10
No longer only flat ground!  added hills, so now the train moves along and does jumps.  I've determined that due to the way I'm generating meshes, it will be hard to make the uvs correct, so I think I'm going to ditch the texture for now, and come back to making the ground look decent later, since there are higher priority things to work on.

I also added a scrolling background, I just quickly animated it using unity's animation tool, at some point I should come back and have scroll relative to the trains speed.

The seams turned out not to be a big problem, I just needed to tweak the physics settings a bit to make it so that the train wouldn't freak out when going over one.

TODO:
Work on the level generator some more.  Although it is now generating geometry, I now need to work on making it generate interesting track.
Start work on the procedural background generator, which I'm assuming will be an absolute bitch.

12/09
The level is now procedurally generated, flat, and will go on for infinity. It also handles the train going at high speeds, which is important.  However, due to the method I used, I get a seam in the ground( which you can see in the screenshot ), whenever I stick a new piece in.  I had a problem with floating point errors sticking a small gap in between the pieces when I stick one in front of the other, which would cause the train to jump up in the air occasionally due to physics.  The CORRECT way to fix this would not be to use track pieces at all, and to add and delete verts as the train moves, but that would complicate the scripting, so I'll see if I can find another way to get the pieces together without a seam.

I also added uv coords to the track pieces, so they now have stroms grass texture.  Pretty sure I fucked that up, so I'll have to look into that tomorrow.

TODO:
Look into seam problem
Unfuck generated tracks pieces uvs
Generate pieces for slopes
Cap the trains top speed, since after 1 minute it is literally going at ludicrous speed into warp
Start on procedurally generating the background using +peters 3d tiles

12/08 A boring update.
Started on the procedural level generation, which meant I had to learn how to proceduraly make meshes in script, in Unity.  Which isn't too bad, similar to opengl, but typing in the vertex coords and triangle list for 24 verts( to make a cube ), was a major pain, and took a while to get everything correct( kept screwing up the windings... ). 

Fortunately, making the mesh work as a collider was as easy as assigning it to a variable in the MeshCollider attached to the gameObject, which was nice.

For the procedural level generation, my intention is to connect it with a gameplay director, similar to Left 4 Dead, and have it pump out nice, easy, flat track, when it feels the player is getting too overwhelmed, and rollercoastery track when it feels things need to be more exciting. 

TODO FOR TOMORROW:
Figure out how to assign a toony material to the track so that it isn't completely black.
Generate infinite pieces of flat track.

Older worklog entries.

12/07
A bit more detailed description of what I have in mind for the game - A 2.5D train shooter, where the train goes really fast, and has turrets attached to each of the cars.  The turrets are used to shoot things, what things I don't know yet Smiley

Tonight I started working on the train physics first, since they were what I was most worried about.  I did a quick rough and ready camera script, then got to work on the train.  Even though it was my first time using hinges in unity, it was pretty easy, and I finished getting a prototype going in about an hour( less than the 3 I expected ).  The only real issue right now is that the train physics only look decent as I don't apply too much force to the locomotive, if I do, its ass lifts into the air. 

TODO FOR TOMORROW -
Get a prototype going of a procedural level geometry generator going, since I don't have time for doing tons of long levels by hand.   Also I should make the camera less rough and ready.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »

Wow, looking nice! The background in the screenshot goes really well with +peter's 3D stuff. Have you got some kind of post-processing on there? It looks grainy and nice.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

Wow, looking nice! The background in the screenshot goes really well with +peter's 3D stuff. Have you got some kind of post-processing on there? It looks grainy and nice.

Yes, a little bit Smiley.  A bit of color correction to increase contrast, a motion blur filter, and grain.  The grain is intended to cover up small mistakes, there are some seams between pieces that occasionally catch some light and turn white for a frame or two, but the grain covers it up pretty well, if people like the look then that's an added bonus Smiley 
Raisins
Level 0

Why hello there I didn't see you come in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »

please post a video. I gotta see this crazy train in movement

I make websites on the internet. Some times I do other things.
longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 03:52:16 AM »

Your wish is my command.

Skab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 06:01:41 AM »

Crazy !  Kiss

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 06:05:38 AM »

fantasic Smiley

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »

Pretty crazy so far, but you can get crazier!

I was hoping you'd derail the train by the end of the video, but you didn't. Still curious what sort of play this game will have in the end.

-SirNiko
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic