Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:41:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsI Live Underground
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: I Live Underground  (Read 20858 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »

* original project is dead dead dead, but conceptually i'm thinking about revisiting. *

CLICK ME TO PLAY CURRENT BUILD IMMEDIATELY nope this link's broken

UPDATED LAST ON: MARCH TWENTY-SIXTH OF THIS YEAR AT FOUR IN THE MORNING

AIM YOUR EYES DOWNWARDS TO VIEW INFORMATION EVEN MORE IMMEDIATELY

Welcome to the game in progress dubbed "I Live Underground" unless I can think of a better name! The details of this game are being worked out, and you fine TIG people might even be able to guide its development! There are a few things for sure, though, those being: you can dig, and you can build useful stuff. There are other things, too, which will hopefully differentiate it from other games that are sort of similar :D

Oh, yeah. And everything you build is pink and white. So there.

Quick Controls (important until I make the game user-friendly)

Arrows: Move yourself around.
Space: Drive/undrive the Digger.
Ctrl: Wear/unwear the build hat! (down arrow to cycle, space/ctrl to leave menu)
Space w/ Blueprint: Build something cool!

Q: SWITCH DAY/NIGHT. WHEN SWITCHING TO NIGHT, ENEMIES ARE SPAWNED. BE PREPARED.
please note that during the night, certain things are not possible. you have hearts, but cannot truly die. you are currently helpless. your spikes do get worn out over time. the enemies will eventually have death animations. there are a few things to discover.

LINK TO THE SAVE/LOAD VERSION, SANS ENEMIES
"Day/Edit" mode can be conjured by clicking on the bottom of the window with an empty text box. Pressing ESCAPE in this mode will push you back to the menu, where the textbox will be filled with your level code. WARNING: You will never be able to edit this map again (for the moment).
"Night/Invasion" mode can be conjured by clicking on the bottom of the window with a full-of-text text box (no error catching at the moment, so it'll just bugger up). Pressing ESCAPE in this mode will simply boot you out; you cannot do anything but jump around, use doors, and use elevators -- and defenses will be hostile towards you.
This is very experimental! You still can't die!
Some test level data below
Code:
0,5/3,1/2,4/1,90/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,90/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,90/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,90/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,6/0,4/1,80/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,6/0,4/1,80/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,6/0,4/1,80/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,6/0,4/1,80/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,1/0,2/1,4/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/2,1/0,2/2,1/1,1/0,2/1,4/0,2/1,81/0,20/1,80/0,20/1,80/0,5/3,1/2,1/0,2/2,1/1,1/0,2/1,4/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,1/0,2/1,4/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/2,4/0,4/1,3/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/2,4/0,4/1,3/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/2,4/0,4/1,3/0,2/1,81/0,9/2,1/0,4/1,3/0,2/1,81/0,9/2,1/1,7/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/2,1/0,2/2,1/1,7/0,2/1,81/0,5/3,1/0,3/2,1/1,90/0,9/2,1/1,90/0,8/2,2/1,90/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,90/0,5/3,1/2,4/1,90|t,8,4,1/t,13,4,0/t,10,8,0/t,11,8,1/s,9,12,0/s,7,19,0/s,4,19,1/d,13,18,0/d,17,18,0/e,11,18,1/t,16,13,1/s,17,8,1/s,20,8,0/s,13,4,0/s,8,4,1/

LITTLE CREDITS ON THE RIGHT
ChevyRay for FlashPunk <3
MrLL for supporting my use of pink and white
Ashkin for giving me the idea to make a companion for you
lolilover for providing inspiration for the current name
nihilocrat for making the first reply
LazyPancake had a blister whose skin oil inpired ooze enemy concept
other people someday
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:35:11 PM by droqen » Logged

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »

That's kinda neat, and the graphics are off to a good start.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »

Looks awesome!
I think a spring or ladder of something else to help you get up would be useful to build.

Bug reports:
You can build a door on the digger and get it stuck.
You can jump out the digger into the ceiling and then fall out of the level.
Sometimes the digger will get stuck on invisible walls. An easy way to reproduce it: Get in the digger, move down 3 spaces. Move all the way to the left, move up 1 space, move right at least 1 space, you then can't move left again. Durr...?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:59:38 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »

I like where this is going.

Sometimes the digger will get stuck on invisible walls. An easy way to reproduce it: Get in the digger, move down 3 spaces. Move all the way to the left, move up 1 space, move right at least 1 space, you then can't move left again.

I think this is because the digger can only move along walls

Also it's possible to dig yourself into a position where you're in contact with no walls and therefore cannot move at all.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:59:06 PM »

I think this is because the digger can only move along walls
That makes sense. Durr...?
Also, when you're unable to move the digger, you can just get out and the digger will fall.
Unfortunately, you can make it so it's impossible to reach a section of dirt with the digger.
There also needs to be a way to deconstruction buildings in case you trap your digger in between doors.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:03:32 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:07:26 PM »

Yay! Responses :D they are delicious and feed directly into my life force.

And hah. Yes. Digger does not flying :3
If the Digger ever loses contact with walls completely, I'll work something out so it doesn't just... float there. I have noticed this in the past.
Building a door on the Digger is also something I'm aware of and tweaking :D Structures are easing their way into the system, and it's all working surprisingly well.

I've never run into the jumping-into-ceiling-and-falling-through-world issue though o_o That sounds so weird. Oh. Unless this is when it's stuck in a door ;_;

& thanks for the positive stuffs :D positive reinforcement works.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »

Actually, you're right, it does only work when you're stuck in a door.

I thing that it's not really fling since the digger could be gripping the back and front walls since this is a 2d game. as long as it doesn't leave ground level it should look fine.
Peter
Level 0

Under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »

Off to a very good start. Basing the game around mining and defending the cave from baddies trying to get in could be pretty cool. Kinda like a simpler version of Dwarf Fortress or something. I do have some complaints/tips, though:

1. I think you should get rid of the digger and just have the player character dig. That way you could make tunnels 1 tile big and you wouldn't have to worry about the digger getting stuck behind doors.

2. The doors are too wide, imo. The huge size makes them useless.

3. While it's quite possible that you've just not implemented them, the game needs ladders.
Renton
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »

I'm really liking this. If it turns into something like Clonk it will be brilliant.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »

1. I think you should get rid of the digger and just have the player character dig. That way you could make tunnels 1 tile big and you wouldn't have to worry about the digger getting stuck behind doors.

This, I really like this game so far, I am excited to see more! I was going to suggest (with my dumb non-game dev brain) that maybe a combination of the player and digger could be done, where the player digs, but a special function transforms the player into that massive digger to build bigger tunnels.

Either this, or have an enemy of that magnitude, I realise this latter option would take out the current ability to quickly implement the doors you have, but yeah, just spitballing ideas! I love it so far, feels great.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »

The digger exists to ensure that
1. You cannot dig at all times (at night it shuts down, and this is when enemies attack)
2. Corridors accept large, scary, bigger-than-1x1 enemies unless you make a wall/door to block them off!

Wow, this is amazing first reception o_o I am blown away.

And, um, the doors are wide because the tunnels are wide :3 I'm going to be making larger doors that the digger can go through... someday.

Ladders are probably coming (or something similar), and for the moment I have added elevators.

You can still build on top of the Digger >_>; be careful.

Updated with a menu (press CTRL to see it) and two new buildables (one is exciting, one is pretty dull)

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »

This is a really cool idea, it reminds me a bit of cortex command. The elevators are good aswell as the door size change. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one. What does the floor panel do though?
Curseman
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

I'm looking forward to what this will become.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »

i'm looking forward to what music i will eventually make for this O_O

seriously, this game looks and plays awesomely so far. I can't wait until there are some enemies or whatever; i can see myself spending hours on this Smiley building a complete underground WORLD AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 03:07:04 PM »

It's like Minecraft and Cortex Command had a baby Kiss

Looks cool, although I don't quite understand what you're going to do with it... Survival ? Exploration ? A big sandbox ?
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »

i'm looking forward to what music i will eventually make for this O_O

THIS
THIS
THIS
THIS
THIS

This is another reason why this game is going to be brilliant. BRILLIANT. I'm not asking it to, I'm not expecting it to, I just know whatever you're happy with as the final game, will be brilliant, I am now going to hook onto said ship "S.S. I Live Underground" in true barnacle fashion, and I shall not. SHALL NOT. Let go.

EDIT: To expand, I just played the update. And I really like the elevator and panels! Really, you are pumping out some quality stuff here, I am really excited!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:19:16 PM by Mecha » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

Why do you need floor under an elevator if you can dig under it anyways?
If you enter the menu while on a elevator, the elevator will go down without you after a few seconds.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:57 PM »

The build menu won't work...

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Ashkin
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »

Ah, Droqen. Sorry I couldn't comment on this earlier. It's coming along nicely, looking really good so far. But please, can you make it so we can make barracks and houses? Like, make a barracks and all these soldiers march out, basic AI, etc. I just get so lonely underground ;_;
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »

Oh whoa there's a second page now? Already?

Ashkin, you are destined to live all alone. Heartless, immobile, and semi-intelligent structures will be your best companions, unless you have a penchant for being friends with things that are actively trying to kill you.
If there's something worth doing, you will be the one doing it, or at least the one setting up the devices in preparation for doing this thing that is worth doing.
(Probably. But it's not something I'm going to do first, if ever ^^)

That's a good point, mokesmoe. Probably I'll switch it on back.

Hangedman, can you take a picture or elaborate further?

JMickle, goddamn it you better make me some music <3

Mecha, welcome to the ship :] I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I'm sorry if I did not respond to you; be assured I have read your comment, I'm just trying to work on the game some more because churning out updates is good for the environment.
And me.
And you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic