Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:31:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI did something...!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: I did something...!  (Read 25471 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »

I am in agreement with the Melly.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »

It depends if you consider games as "art" or not, which is debatable, what do you think?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »

It depends if you consider games as "art" or not, which is debatable, what do you think?
SHUTUPSHUTUPBLBLBLBLBLBBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBL

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 08:51:18 PM »

I strongly agree with Melly too.

And thanks chutup; I'm all for keeping the "games as art" discussion isolated to those two threads in the Indie Games section.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »

I strongly agree with Melly too.

And thanks chutup; I'm all for keeping the "games as art" discussion isolated to those two threads in the Indie Games section.
lol, moi was just joking anyway.

But me, I actually would like to hear Edmund's explanation of the game. I would recommend people to play the game before reading the explanation though - it would spoil a lot of the feelings of exploration and discovery otherwise.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »

Well that's up to him.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 12:00:05 AM »

i think melly is right, i dont want to spoil any meaning anyone else has gotten from the game. its a personal game and every planet has a meaning to me, but i dont want to mess with whatever others have taken from it.

though the name of each planet kind of tells you what each one is about.. even though the names have been edited slightly to make them sound more "planet like"
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »

Ok so here's the thing I think about this, and this is probably different from Edmund's meaning but it's the one I got.

So the peachy planet is all about social interactions, it kinda reminds me of how one person might do something creative like make a game, or paint something, and people might say it sucks, they might be jealous, they might criticize every fault just because. There are two ways you can take that, it can break you make you feel worthless, or you can take as inspiration to get even better. It's moon(s) is rejection, where there is a lonely little guy wondering if they ever think about him.

The green planet is about confinement, the high gravity is caused by the little circular orbs that keep everything in with a big green forcefieldish thing. It reminds me of how our worlds can feel so restricted with rules(something a child would know all about). It's moon is fear, because we create those rules and restriction out of fear.

The dead planet is about death, or how it is to a child. The one the surface has the attitude of it's alright to die, it's nothing bad. The one inside the dead planet says nobody can hurt me. The one on the moon comments that it's all cool, dying is not so bad.

The water world is a hard one for me to get, I think its all about the rigors of life, going through the motions working hard trying to achieve stuff. Then just to have someone tell you you're nothing special. I never found it's moon, is there one or is there added symbolism coming from its absence?

Earth is empty, it's a little dull small world that while beautiful is quiet. This reminds me of how we all seem so engaged in escapism, to escape how lonely and dull our world can seem. The moon is content...

This is just kind of what I get out of it...

Oh and check out what I found.
http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aetheroutym0.png

Hehe those daytime philosophers that think their minds accomplish something.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »

Yay someone finally ran into the runaway!...

i wouldnt bother going out and looking for any of the missing aliens, the chances of you finding one are extreamly rare.. ive never found one and ive beaten the game about 50 times.

good to know someone saw one Smiley cant wait to see what others find
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

I just ran into him by chance on my second playthrough when I went to earth then to the last planet...

So does this mean there are more little things floating around out there? I went really far off one time but I didn't find anything.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »

yeah there are a few things out there, but like i said.. they are super super rare
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »

Brilliant creation, I was quite sad when it was over, but somehow the brevity added something to it.

I really hope you expand on this idea, as you said.
ChevyRay
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:04 PM »

Hahahaha

I enjoyed this too. Well done, Edmund. Refreshing little experience you've created. Smiley
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:42 AM »

*sits down for story time*
 Shocked

Wonderful. *lol* Maybe the story time should come some time after the full version has been out for a while. I'm really enjoy post-modern and deconstructionist approaches to understanding the creations of others, and adding the creators explanations doesn't ruin anything for me: it enhances my understand and gives me additional viewpoints from which to peer.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »

Dude, your game ended up on Kongregate. Did you do that?
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »

yeah i submitted it to kong and newgrounds last night.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »

Seems Kong is taking it pretty well. It's on the front page with four stars, which is pretty good for the Sonny-obsessed masses the populate Kong  :D
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »

Anyone else having contrast problems?

Yes. Smiley

Hmm, I'd advise you guys to calibrate your monitors. Here:

http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »

This is a very beautiful game. I can tell that much, even though it runs like crap on this computer... I'll have to download it and try it on my non-internet, actually-good computer. But I know that I like it already. It has a pleasant graphical style, and themes of isolation, childhood, and escapism all hit home very strongly for me. They're ideas I'm always trying, and failing, to express in my own art. It also reminds me of The Little Prince, which is one of my favorite books.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2008, 07:45:34 PM »

Did everybody in TIGS read Little Prince? o.o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic