Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411654 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:03:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHuman Hugs
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: Human Hugs  (Read 336395 times)
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1660 on: August 27, 2012, 10:59:10 PM »

Friendship hug to you, Droqen.

Smile, my friend. You will find a better one next time Smiley

Ashkin
« Reply #1661 on: August 27, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »

Droqen how could anyone do that to you HOW ;n;
Superhugs <3
Theophilus
« Reply #1662 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »

whaaaaaaaaaat

did you tell them you make awesome games??? and they still dump you?Huh?

lame

hug
Sakar
« Reply #1663 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Major hugs Droqen, I know what those can be like
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

Hugs, Droqen. Sad

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1665 on: August 29, 2012, 06:38:21 AM »

Your hugs have led me to a good place c:

Thank all. <3

Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1666 on: August 29, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »

Your welcome.
wow, im wondering, im working on a action, sidescrolling,  roguelike, building game and i had it all planned out till i realized it was too terraria like..  development is going very smooth.. but i cant figure out what direction to bring it in, i wanna keep that terraria/mc/roguelike charm, but i want to be MY game, this is really stressing me out, any tips, i would appreciate it Beg

@@@My Website@@@

You bash the Rat in the stomach with the banana
///////////
The rat is struck down
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: September 02, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

Hugs Droqen, even though he's already in a good place :D
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1668 on: September 07, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »

Okay.

I had a really fucking rough week.

1. I bombed Ludum Dare. It helped troubleshoot a few inconsistencies in my framework, there's still a few remaining. But the project itself BOMBED.

2. I got in my first car wreck. Only moderate damage, no injuries, but it really bashed in the front end of my car. A couple days later (I think something in the electrical grounded to the frame), the battery was totally drained, and now it's not starting.

3. Lots of loved ones going through tremendous losses and trials right now, and there's not a whole lot I can do to help them either, for a change. Especially with no functional ride for the time being.

4. Recoursing my development history, it just seems apparent that I'm always gonna be a better assistant producer than a lead producer. This, I'm fine with. I can live with that, it's better fitted to the pacing of my life anyhow.

The only (somewhat hard) tradeoff is that concepts I'd like to bring to existence might never exist outside of my head. It's only a moderate tradeoff, because they are mostly heavily-inspired projects on preexisting foundations though.

One instance is just a reimagining of Zelda II - remove the map screen and make the world continuous Metroidlike corridors, change the Jump spell from a high jump to a double jump and adjust the level design accordingly, and so on...

Even the "game about gamers gaming" still lies in the fundamental subgames thereof, most of which would contain obvious pokes to classic designs and concepts. The content chunks in the Dynamic Music Generator is just carefully categorized patternwork I picked up on in DDR/GH/RB, too; it's just straight, basic music theory.

This weekend, I'm gonna finalize some damage control in progress, hopefully resulting in getting my car running again and my house back in order, gonna help some old associates with building a dev portfolio (and in all likelihood, composing one myself); and then I'm looking forward to jumping back on the horse! It also means I should be visiting here more often again, too. Smiley

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: September 07, 2012, 07:50:57 AM »

Your welcome.
wow, im wondering, im working on a action, sidescrolling,  roguelike, building game and i had it all planned out till i realized it was too terraria like..  development is going very smooth.. but i cant figure out what direction to bring it in, i wanna keep that terraria/mc/roguelike charm, but i want to be MY game, this is really stressing me out, any tips, i would appreciate it Beg

I would love to check that out. May be of help. You have a DevLog?

WHOOPS!! Bad reflex, another forum I've been active in recently auto-appends doubleposts.

Aaaand, crap. I can't just cut-paste the post. :S Sorry!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:56:51 AM by baconman » Logged

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: September 07, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »

@baconman

This is kind of related. You can always find a way to work your "dream" ideas into any project, given time. You just have to find out what the idea is "really about" and push it into a new context. For example, given your Zelda II example, I'm sure you could push in that direction from any action/adventure. You just have to find the "essence" of the idea. In fact, the process of finding the essence of any idea, say by pulling it out of one context and shoving it into another, is often constructive towards improving that idea. Doing that, you'd probably end up with something far better.

Your welcome.
wow, im wondering, im working on a action, sidescrolling,  roguelike, building game and i had it all planned out till i realized it was too terraria like..  development is going very smooth.. but i cant figure out what direction to bring it in, i wanna keep that terraria/mc/roguelike charm, but i want to be MY game, this is really stressing me out, any tips, i would appreciate it Beg

Yeah, this issue comes from relying on previous structure too much. You probably have in your head some "grand vision" of what you want. Then you can't "personalize it" without losing the original vision. Right? This kind of situation is because you're trying to do too much at once. No one can design an entire game all at once, in their heads. At least they shouldn't, because it always produces sub-par results.

I'm going to assume you have something playable. If you do not, follow this:
  1. Write down the single most important mechanic (or art asset/sound-effect/etc) that you need to get your game to a playable state asap. If you have several to choose from pick the one that will make your game the most interesting i.e. pick the one you like the most. It's really important to pick the things that require the smallest amount of work possible.
  2. Implement this thing.
  3. Repeat until you have something that:
       a. You can play.
       b. You think is a game.
  It's okay if it's only fun for like 30 seconds or something. You just want absolute bare-bones.

Ok, next, you're worried that your current prototype is too much like what's already out there? I imagine your prototype is pretty similar to Terraria or something at this point? That's okay. The easiest way to get a game to a playable - and fun - state is to copy things you know are good. It's the secret trick. Here's the second secret.

Do this:
  1. Choose your favourite mechanics that is in your prototype (not your design).
  2. In fact, you can choose several and rank them. It would be even better if you had several scopes. Example for Minecraft:
      . smallest scope: the animation for "chopping/digging" w/ some object
      . medium scope: the breaking of blocks into floating cubes which you collect by bumping into them, putting them into an inventory
      . larger scope: wandering around looking for trees
  Maybe you have a couple favourite items for several scopes, ordered by how much you like them. So far everything is copy, probably.

Ok, here's where you make it personal.
  3. Pick the top item from the list for the smallest scope i.e. the digging animation.
  4. "Personalize" this mechanic (or asset etc) using any system. You can use this one:
       i. Write a bunch of crap about what you want your game's experience to "be like." Maybe it's half a page. You can also get some pictures of other games from the web, a couple of songs, and other things like that.
       ii. Summarize all of this stuff in a single sentence that best describes its most important qualities. i.e. mine for Super Mario World is "focused, playful freedom." Yours could be: "running from that which will hunt you, slowly, until you are gone."
       iii. Come up with a single sentence to describe the experience you would like your chosen mechanic to have (not what it is currently like). This one sentence must support your global sentence written in step ii. Yours could be: "frantic digging to escape the terror"
       iv. Come up with a single sentence to describe the experience your chosen mechanic _currently_ has (i.e. or what it would have in a full game, such as what its role is in the game you took it from). The mining animation in Minecraft could be: "light-hearted punching."
       v. Redesign that mechanic to satisfy the sentences from iii. and iv. Can you make the digging animation both light-hearted and frantic? Make a judgment call about which sentence should take precedence. Maybe you want a split like 80/20. The frantic element may be way more important to your vision.
  5. Repeat for various items in your lists.
  6. When you're ready, add new stuff to your prototype, say by stealing further from the games that inspire you.

In summary: steal a mechanic, implement it, personalize it. Sometimes you personalize one; sometimes you don't. Use your intuition. As you do this you'll come up with new ideas spontaneously. Sometimes you'll be able to personalize a mechanic even before you put it into the prototype. The more you practice the more easily "visualizing" the game will become, and the less you'll have to rely on actual prototypes.

Bandages
« Reply #1671 on: October 09, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »

I'm so sick of waking up at sunrise every morning with horrible nausea

I'm so tired of waking up in pain, and being in pain for hours

I'm tired of there being no diagnosis or cure

I'm tired of dreading sleep and fearing new days

I'm tired of feeling suicidal every morning

I'm tired of this

I'm just so tired
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:23 AM »

maybe you're a vampire?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1673 on: October 09, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »

Castle, for real? that sounds really horrible.  Sad

You've been to the doc and all and still don't have any way to treat it?
How's your diet?
Do you sleep well?
Have you tested for food allergies?
Bandages
« Reply #1674 on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »

I've gone through the ringer of tests. Endoscopy, blood tests, diet change. It developed last winter after several really high-anxiety situations. Now I think it's just some kind of physical manifestation of my anxiety, because during the summer when I was relatively stress-free, it was relatively mild, but the first week of classes this semester, I was dry heaving into the toilet three hours before my first class. Relatively stable again, but it's not exactly nice. The mornings are the worst.

I'm a pretty healthy person, all things considered. I can't imagine what could cause chronic pain and nausea besides anxiety that wouldn't be some kind of physiological condition. I also don't suffer from depression, and the only times I entertain thoughts of death are during colorful fantasies that help me get through those first few hours of consciousness.. hm
Conker534
« Reply #1675 on: October 09, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

I've gone through the ringer of tests. Endoscopy, blood tests, diet change. It developed last winter after several really high-anxiety situations. Now I think it's just some kind of physical manifestation of my anxiety, because during the summer when I was relatively stress-free, it was relatively mild, but the first week of classes this semester, I was dry heaving into the toilet three hours before my first class. Relatively stable again, but it's not exactly nice. The mornings are the worst.

I'm a pretty healthy person, all things considered. I can't imagine what could cause chronic pain and nausea besides anxiety that wouldn't be some kind of physiological condition. I also don't suffer from depression, and the only times I entertain thoughts of death are during colorful fantasies that help me get through those first few hours of consciousness.. hm

You're not alone. I'm in the same exact boat as you. It sucks.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:12 AM »

How old are you?

Maybe you could take a break from school for a year and do something else? I'm thinking therapy + some kind of low-stress work/practice?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Bandages
« Reply #1677 on: October 10, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »

I'm 20, Junior in college, bio major.

I don't know how taking a year off would work, since I've been in school doing school since I was 4 or 5. In America, school is too expensive to just leave. Last year, at the worst of my stomach problems, I missed two weeks of school and it really fucked me over. I'm retaking calculus right now because of that. Missing more school would just further complicate things, especially since I'm so close to getting a grant and being able to just start working.

I just woke up, at the time of writing this and I'm at wit's end. These mornings are hell. My own personal hell, every day. Every day. Every day. Every day. Every day. Every day. Every Day.

I don't know how to fix this. Leaving stress behind seems like a good thing to do, but that doesn't seem possible. I'm so tired of this body. I want to leave it. I just want to be done hurting. Yesterday, I was awake for 14 hours. My stomach hurt for 12 of them. I don't dream. I wake up, I endure, I sleep. It's no way to live, it's no way to live.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1678 on: October 10, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »

Never said you "think of...". Better be sure of it. It could be a serious illness or a serious stress problems. Take any measures to remove any doubt and choose the right solution to your problem.

Hugs to you, @Castle.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 10, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »

That's horrible, Castle.

But the fact that you've been going to school constantly for 16 years could be a part-explanation for your problems, if they are psycho-somatic. I tried to do the same thing, but eventually I broke down completely. I started to believe that results in school was the only thing that mattered and was completely unable to look objectively at it. Maybe you could at least look at the possibility of some kind of sabbatical, as a way to get better long-term results?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 115
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic