Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:02:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame designing in your dreams
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Game designing in your dreams  (Read 6722 times)
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »

Anyone?

I had a few this morning. One was a chess style game where you moved in rook moves between stars or points to kill the opponent, and could make unlimited of those but you couldn't cross certain points.

Others but I don't wanna talk about them. One has some ethnic stereotyping (NON VIOLENT)

I also played a crappy "chess" style game where you moved single circular pieces in linear movements one space at a time, that's how they could capture too. Played vs some old German lady (ETHNIC STEREOTYPING EARLIER MENTIONED IS NOT GERMAN OR RELATED TO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT). I was pumped because I was gonna kick her ass, her opening moves were terrible.

destiny is truth pre-op
Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »

I do this all the time! The other day...

I was thinking about sinewaves and somehow they ended up in my dream. I saw a snake... Then I was playing Snake. Snake moving in a sine-wave fashion. Would be pretty cool. Probably has been done before.

Two days ago, I was having trouble sleeping (18 minutes of sleep. Tired), and I was thinking about programming... what method would work best, problems I might come across... It seemed so real. But I guess this doesn't really count because I wasn't asleep.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »

I was thinking about sinewaves and somehow they ended up in my dream. I saw a snake... Then I was playing Snake. Snake moving in a sine-wave fashion. Would be pretty cool. Probably has been done before.

How about uploading a song and the snake's shape vary to the sound waves?
Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »

How about uploading a song and the snake's shape vary to the sound waves?

Good idea! But I'll have to postpone it; I am about to finish my first game after being a developer for 2 years. So I can't get distracted again!
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »

That kind of stuff... it does happen to me. rarely, but it does.

Actually, the main plot twist of the game I'm currently making originated in a dream I had some time ago. Now I can't say what it is (huge spoilers etc) but I can say it was so mindblowing I immediately woke up after the dream and wrote it down like nothing else mattered in my life. At 4AM.
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »

Whenever I dream of games in my dreams they are never violent... they tend to have rainbows, happy music, and only (EDIT: Completely clothed) female characters. What does this say about me? The games I tend to design in real life are more shooters and turn-based games.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »

I'll dream that I've written a few thousand lines of code, and have pretty much finished my project, only to awake to code that won't even compile.  Cry

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »

Whenever I dream of games in my dreams they are never violent... they tend to have rainbows, happy music, and only (EDIT: Completely clothed) female characters. What does this say about me? The games I tend to design in real life are more shooters and turn-based games.

Make a game about rainbows, happy music and females. Clothed or not, your choice.

Theophilus
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »

Not clothed. Definitely not clothed.
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »

A casual game... I might give it a shot, I never did one before though Embarrassed.

Where the hell would I start with this project?

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
iffi
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

If some of my dreams ended up as games, they would be nearly as trippy as some of cactus's games...
I remember that one of my dreams resembled the style of cutscenes from Halo or Halo 2 (I played a lot of Halo back then).

I'll dream that I've written a few thousand lines of code, and have pretty much finished my project, only to awake to code that won't even compile.  Cry
Better than waking up to no code at all, and no motivation to write any code.
For some reason I only feel motivated to write code and/or design games when I'm too tired to do so.

Edit: Level 5!
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »

i've had dreams of super mario games of my own device, the level design was amazing to my unbiased, unconscious mind. lucid dreams are the best videogames ever, but i can't summon them on command unfortunately.

the thought of somebody lucid dreaming only to play a game of tetris just popped to mind and i got a chuckle from it.

iffi
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »

the thought of somebody lucid dreaming only to play a game of tetris just popped to mind and i got a chuckle from it.
Sadly, I can totally imagine a certain one of my friends doing just that.

I wonder what it would be like to consciously design a game and play it through lucid dreaming...
Theophilus
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

Wouldn't be very fun for me. The games I create either aren't fun for me and are a fairly fun for most others, or are great fun to me and everyone is weirded out that I am having so much fun playing this crappy game.

I don't think I would have this blessing if I could lucid dream.
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »

The games in my dreams are always pretty much impossible. I never dream of mechanics, just random gameplay. Then again, many of my non-dream ideas are also impossible.

Sadly, I can totally imagine a certain one of my friends doing just that.

I wonder what it would be like to consciously design a game and play it through lucid dreaming...

I've always had this dream of somehow communicating directly to people's brains. Being able to think of a song and have others listen as it's thought. Thinking of an image and having others see what you think. What you said made me wonder what it'd be like to play a game as it's thought up. I don't know why i never wondered before.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 02:57:07 AM »

jason rohrer's sleep is death kind of fits that description, but i haven't played it yet.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »

I do this all the time! The other day...

Two days ago, I was having trouble sleeping (18 minutes of sleep. Tired), and I was thinking about programming... what method would work best, problems I might come across... It seemed so real. But I guess this doesn't really count because I wasn't asleep.

I went to sleep last night thinking first about a single pixel dodging / moving around a bunch of other lines, geometries etc. Then this turned into wavy motions and then I started thinking about snakes and fish(es) moving with a similar pattern. It was fun.. concentrating/meditating on something prior to sleep tends to give me better lucid dreams / more consciousness during the sleep (as opposed to "fuck i'm tired i just want to sleep").

Tergem, that's hilarious.

destiny is truth pre-op
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 05:27:20 AM »

tergem's post tells me he needs to Google "Touhou" immediately.

I actually do all of my conceptual work and outlining in my sleep/dreams. Code snippets. Musical tones. 16-bit atmoshpere (mileage may vary, however).

But I'm also the kind of person where being awake/asleep is really only differenciated by whether or not my body is resting at the time mostly. So even when I'm awake and conceptualizing, it's almost like dreaming in the meantime.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

I rarely ever dream game, Only twice in my whole life

That second time was a golden shield mechanics for sonic: It's a sort of insta shield (sonic 3 double press) except it let you rebound on spike, You can only rebound 3 times before it break and then you are out of the rolling state.

The dream showcased a lot of risk/reward puzzle based on that movement with momentum/speed situation.

tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »

tergem's post tells me he needs to Google "Touhou" immediately.

Interesting, I am a bloody horrible artist though.

That actually cuts pretty close in terms of color scheme... the art in my dreams is more western style. The gameplay is difficult to describe, closest would be Peggle combined with an interactive story + some match three.

It was implied once that all the males were killed Shocked (Exact words were "Since we made them go away")... but only once and in passing.

Tergem, that's hilarious.
How? You peak my interests.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic