Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:09:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDream Games
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Dream Games  (Read 63487 times)
Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »

probably yes. http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=557.0

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »

Oooooh. Thanks.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »

Shucks guys, Embarrassed

It's my dream story concept basically. But it's on an epic scale, and epics are hard to write. And formulate. I'm constantly dreaming up characters and a couple events here and there, but everything is very disjointed.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »

My dream game basically involves a lot of custom made hardware, which probably wouldn't even be that hard to make (to someone who is into making gadgets and stuff, not me).

It's an RPG where the hero is YOU, literally.  Beer!

It's about running, punching, jumping and kicking. Of course all of those actions are done by you. So the one who gets stronger and levels up is you, not your game character.

You have special shoes with sensors under the soles that are used to move around, run, and jump. A light gun to shoot. Some sort of boxing gloves, and swords. In front of you you have some kind of cushioned wall with sensors inside where the images are projected (from an external projector not from inside the actual screen), etc.

I just like how games that mix physical activity and gaming action suck you in in a very special way. If I could take that to another level (hardcore physical movement, no fucking wii-motes and shit) I could probably be the next Arnie.  Beer! It's probably what many fat-ass kids out there are needing.  Smiley

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »

The first is a adventure sci-fi game in the flashback/another world genre. Developed a prototype and then the "team" started to work on different companies. http://gameawards.se/images/show_preview/75

I've also wanted very much to make a game* in the Flashback style, but in the horror/cult/film noir genre.  I've been kicking the idea around for over a year.

*(Actually I have a loose outline for a trilogy spanning roughly 60 years starring a semi-immortal private detective.)

tweet tweet @j_younger
Renton
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »

Speaking of Flashback style, I had this idea for a Knytt meets Another World-ish steampunk exploration-platformer-adventure game, in a detailed, atmospheric, ambient world, and you just walk and climb and run and sightsee for hours.

What I first had in mind was simply doing a Knytt clone with a visual style similar to Balloon Comic.

I later thought about a back story and it slowly shaped in my head into a huge steampunk-ish world, and it'd be about a boy, looking for a certain flower for the medicine that would save her sister from some fatal illness.

Of course, the story was very weak so I scrapped that idea, too.

Later, I saw Hellboy 2 and I suddenly remembered the old Hellboy shorts I had read some log time ago. It inspired me to add local stories, tall-tales and legends into that big world which would need a grittier, darker (and by that I definitely don't mean what recent games look like, shit-brown and grey everywhere), yet still beautiful and stylistic.

The main character, seeks to find certain "trophies" from these creatures mentioned in said tall-tales, ergo he/she roams the world, (a subject I also used in my crappy ####punk story contest entry), and all the while, the player gets to see all the sights the game world has to offer.

But since I kinda fail miserably at anything that involves game-making, it'll probably stay just an idea. I might scan and post some old concept works if anyone wants. I also might start working on it in some distant future but I don't really see it happening (at least anytime soon).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:00:48 PM by Renton » Logged
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »

I have a lot of dream projects, which are actually DOABLE I just don't have to resources or the motivation. I don't know, I have such a hard to explaining my ideas in words, when I can visually see it in my head. I lay in bed at night and play these games all the way through in my head but when I try to tell people about them, I just can't find the right words. It's definitely one of my worst qualities.  Cry
Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »

I have a lot of dream projects, which are actually DOABLE I just don't have to resources or the motivation. I don't know, I have such a hard to explaining my ideas in words, when I can visually see it in my head. I lay in bed at night and play these games all the way through in my head but when I try to tell people about them, I just can't find the right words. It's definitely one of my worst qualities.  Cry

You should try open a notepad document and just scribble all your thoughts down as they pop up in your head. This is also a pretty hard thing to do since your mind is often much faster than your fingers Tongue
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

Renton, part of your idea reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus, roaming a large world searching for creatures of legend to bring down.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 04:29:46 PM »

Also, my avatar is from one of my dream-games.
I won't reveal the story, because I still intend on making it, but it's in a world populated by robots, long after humans have gone extinct. Outside of combat, it plays like flashback/out of this world mixed with a point & click adventure game, and the combat system is, I think, quite unique. Fast-paced, in-depth, contextual actions based on reflex and intuition, resulting in battles that are fluid and seem almost choreographed. Only problem is I'd have to animate every possible action and reaction for both player and enemy. And that would be alot of animations.

Alot. Shocked

It could work with a paper-doll system but... I mean c'mon. Animation's what I love Kiss
It would also need voice actors.

I'll make it someday though.

This too:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:32:33 PM by Xion » Logged

Renton
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 12:03:42 AM »

Renton, part of your idea reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus, roaming a large world searching for creatures of legend to bring down.
I just realized that  Smiley
Yes, kinda like SotC, too. But not quite. There will be people around, maybe a few settlements. And the main character will not just kill, there will be different ways to obtain the "trophies" for each creature, kinda like quests, depending on the tale(s) the creature is involved in. Not like "Bring me the whatchamacallit stone and I will give you what you want" kinda quests, but quests that you don't expect, like in a town, a woman says that her baby is not her baby, and that she speaks in tongues when no one is around, so you take the baby to a healer in some other town, who sees through the baby's disguise, revealing her to be a shapeshifting something and you go on to find the baby, but stuff happens, and GOD I'M TERRIBLE AT TELLING STORIES!

Also, Xion; if you ever get to doing your project, I can do a few small voices (I think  Gentleman).
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 12:42:04 AM »

So, too many modern FPS games are like 'LOOK AT MAH PHYSICS ENGINE' and it's cool for a few minutes when you start out and just blow stuff up at random, but really, it doesn't affect the game very much because the physics/destruction is very incidental to the combat, so you end up with contrived puzzles, or contrived 'cinematic kills' (i.e. explosive barrels, collapsing platforms) which are basically a free kill for you, but if the free kill wasn't there then the enemies you killed wouldn't be there either, so it's pretty pointless.

Anyway, I figured the best way to make an FPS with meaningful physics is to reward the player for using them. Get rid of all those pesky enemies, divide the game into free-roaming stages instead of linear levels, and make it the player's objective to blow up as much shit as they can, as quickly as they can. They have to find ammo by breaking stuff open, and can even find secret weapons like a rocket launcher to increase their score. The score is measured in money, so you can get big score boosts by destroying something that would cost a lot to replace, such as a crystal chandelier or the Washington Monument.
Like Katamari Damacy, you would be able to play each stage in several different ways: 'Deal $X worth of damage as fast as possible' and 'destroy as much as you can in X time' would be the most common, but there would also be variations where the player has to destroy certain objects, or they get to use a good weapon or a vehicles. There would also be multiplayer modes, both versus and cooperative, but it would be important not to ever allow the players to damage each other or it would just turn into a deathmatch shooter. You could bury your enemies under mountains of debris, though.

I also thought of a great story for the game. You work for a company that claims it can solve any problem. At the start of each stage, a client calls up your crazy boss and presents him with an Ouendan-style dilemma. No matter what the problem is, the boss always determines that the solution is to blow something up, i.e.:

"Help, I'm a maid and I was supposed to clean up this lady's house for her but I fell asleep and now she'll be home in a few minutes!"
"Don't worry ma'am, we'll just blow it up!"
"I'm a zookeeper and I allowed all the animals to escape from the zoo due to my criminal negligence!"
"Don't worry, we'll just blow it up!"
"Help, I'm a weak nerdy kid and I get bullied every day at school!"
"Don't worry, son, that can't happen if your school is a smouldering crater!"

And so on...

Renton
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 01:13:40 AM »

Red Faction meets Katamari Damacy?
GlockEH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:54 AM »

Too many dreams, not enough time or skill yet.

First one is about dreams, seems a few people have thought about designing around dreams, where the player is a child whose only escape is through dreaming. Everything they experience during their awake time is interpreted into their dreams. Abusive parents = Messed up monster.

Second there is a persistent MMO where what the player does actually counts. For this to work I imagine events for a year or two would need to be planned out and done on a weekly basis. Born from my hatred of collecting 30 raptor feathers and it not actually changing anything in game but my level completion. It's possible but it might be difficult to join halfway through unless there are rolling servers, as one starts another is finishing or starting a week later.

Lastly, well the last one I'm posting, is about a young boy listening to stories his Grandfather tells him and using his imagination to picture the stories. All the tales change and grow darker as the boy gets older until his grandfather passes away.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:10:17 AM by GlockEH » Logged

http://www.teamequidna.com: One day we will get a game done
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 05:49:09 AM »

I keep having dreams about a steampunk game in which the protagonist joins the army and starts battling a rebel insurgency with weird technology. The protagonist finds out from them later that the government has been hiding the technology all along, and forcing the public to remain steampunk. You join the rebels and work together to take down the corrupt government and restore peace and technology to the world!
GlockEH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 06:01:02 AM »

I keep having dreams about a steampunk game in which the protagonist joins the army and starts battling a rebel insurgency with weird technology. The protagonist finds out from them later that the government has been hiding the technology all along, and forcing the public to remain steampunk. You join the rebels and work together to take down the corrupt government and restore peace and technology to the world!

Any game that is Steampunk I will play.

http://www.teamequidna.com: One day we will get a game done
Renton
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 06:13:23 AM »

And in the sequel, people realize that technology wasn't so great after all and decide to turn all technology off to go back to steampunk. Alas, the machines hear about the humans' plans and, fearing they will die, revolt and enslave the humans. The protagonist now has to fight to free the humans, turn off the main computer and restore peace and steampunky goodness to the world.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »

This idea is not even half-baked, but oh well:
It's a game set in an apocalyptic future where robots have rebelled against man-kind for the same old reasons. Only twist is that you play a robot, you can collect parts, improve yourself and ultimately destroy man-kind, which, in this game is portrayed as a tyrant species. I even have this silly idea about robots calling themselves "Silicon based lifeforms".
Has this been done before? In movies or books?

Also, awesome ideas everybody, lets make them happen  Gentleman

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

For some time now I have the idea of a multiplayer strategy game about consipracies and secret orders, Illuminati style. Every player would control his own order, trying to take over the world, or meeting his special objective, that could be anything between turning the world to an utopic state and starting a nuclear war of apocalyptic scales.

Everyone would start knowing nothing about the opponents, and they would learn through spionage, treaties and any sort of stuff, but they'd never have exact information, it would be just statistics and numbers, but never the exact situation. They would control the countries of the world through political, economical or religious influence, while trying to avoid being noticed. Then use that control to destroy the other players, by damaging they influence areas, or by waging wars or economical blockades against the countries they have more control over, or taking away their agents through diplomacy and murder.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »

I had an idea which is possibly beyond anyone's capabilities right now. Basically an MMO(RPG?) vaguely inspired by Zelazny's Amber series, where you start out in a hub-world which always looks pretty much the same way. However, as you progress, you can begin to push outwards into other worlds which loosely connect to that world through doorways that most people can't see, and every time you do you go to a procedurally generated new world. The worlds get darker and weirder and more twisted the further you go, and you can find strange artifacts and creatures out on the fringes. However, if you die then you are pushed back to the hub-world, and good luck finding your way back to wherever you were. Fortunately, there's many other just as strange and exciting worlds to explore.

Now that I type that out I wonder why it would have to be an MMO at all. I still think it'd be cooler if it were though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic