Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:16:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 783957 times)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3220 on: January 19, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »

Was in Seattle for Steam Dev days this week, that was super fun. Here's the trip recap in crappy photos:

49ers are playing the Seahawks today for the NFC championship game, people were amped up even last week.

Seattle was cold and rainy

But I found a giant squid

My hotel room was in the future somewhere, there was a monorail outside

Headed to the conference itself for a bunch of talks about VR and selling hats

Valve was really pushing their Steam Machines

So being given one wasn't too surprising

The Presidents of the United States of America played at an aftershow

Joshua and I were in the same place which was weird

So we took the chance to get some planning done

Then I flew home. Fin!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:14:16 AM by Interrupt » Logged
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 19, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »

Did you get a controller with the steam machine? If so how's it with delver?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3222 on: January 19, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »

It's a strange controller in its current state with all games, but should hopefully get better before release. They've shown a newer version with a DPad and better placed ABXY buttons that looks like it will be much easier to use, right now they're in pretty strange places in the prototype.

For me the main issue so far has been that you better set up your own button mapping otherwise when you get to a prompt like "Press R to reload" you'll have no idea which one of the buttons actually maps to that, and you can't just look down at the pad anymore to find where it is. Real world example: I played some Borderlands 2 yesterday with it and most things were mapped to where you would expect them but every once in a while I'd have to use the keyboard in front of me to do something that I didn't know how to do on the gamepad or maybe just wasn't mapped in the default setup.

The games that really shine with that gamepad will be the ones that have first class support for it built in - not just running in emulated keyboard and mouse mode like it does by default.

The other weird thing is that the haptic feedback feels really great to use but it makes more noise than I expected it would, eventually I wanted a way to turn it off or maybe just down some. My wife was reading on the couch next to me when I was trying it out and she was getting a bit annoyed over how much clicking it was making Smiley
MrDaaark
Level 0

Hi

View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 21, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »

It's a strange controller in its current state with all games, but should hopefully get better before release. They've shown a newer version with a DPad and better placed ABXY buttons that looks like it will be much easier to use, right now they're in pretty strange places in the prototype.

For me the main issue so far has been that you better set up your own button mapping otherwise when you get to a prompt like "Press R to reload" you'll have no idea which one of the buttons actually maps to that, and you can't just look down at the pad anymore to find where it is. Real world example: I played some Borderlands 2 yesterday with it and most things were mapped to where you would expect them but every once in a while I'd have to use the keyboard in front of me to do something that I didn't know how to do on the gamepad or maybe just wasn't mapped in the default setup.

The games that really shine with that gamepad will be the ones that have first class support for it built in - not just running in emulated keyboard and mouse mode like it does by default.

The other weird thing is that the haptic feedback feels really great to use but it makes more noise than I expected it would, eventually I wanted a way to turn it off or maybe just down some. My wife was reading on the couch next to me when I was trying it out and she was getting a bit annoyed over how much clicking it was making Smiley

PC games are weird that way. Some of the GTA games use a different key for every action, when those things are context sensitive and don't need a unique keymapping. Shouldn't need 25 key mapping to do what fits comfortably on 8 buttons!

Not sure what haptic feedback is? *time to google..*

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3224 on: January 26, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »

Tick, tick... boom!

Thought I'd tease a few features we are working on. Bear in mind they are still very WIP and don't represent the final state of things (e.g. the strange mesh lighting). It's just too cool not to share.  Grin

Skizomeuh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3225 on: January 31, 2014, 12:26:59 AM »

Remind me to not drink blindly all kinds of potions anymore  Durr...?
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: January 31, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »

All potions explode, by the way, even healing ones. Though I haven't been able to confirm if their explosion heals you or just rocket jumps you.
ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: February 01, 2014, 07:07:46 AM »

Tick, tick... boom!

Thought I'd tease a few features we are working on. Bear in mind they are still very WIP and don't represent the final state of things (e.g. the strange mesh lighting). It's just too cool not to share.  Grin

i can see a few problems. I've already blown up all the potions i try to pick up due to slashing the monsters.

Whats this do? *presses button* oops.....there goes the rockets.....
rydersaur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: February 01, 2014, 10:59:42 PM »

Tick, tick... boom!

Wouldn't make more sense to introduce bombs?
I mean bombs would be pretty cool.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3229 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:24 PM »

I agree. It doesn't make a ton of sense to stab a potion and have it go boom. Having bombs would be neat and you could still have it so we stab them to light them.

Skizomeuh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3230 on: February 03, 2014, 12:19:18 AM »

Ok. Now I'm feeling silly: I never managed to discover this effect  Facepalm
juan
Level 0

I need scissors! 61!

View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: February 03, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »

this game is good

i promise i'm making a game.
ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: February 03, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

Ok. Now I'm feeling silly: I never managed to discover this effect  Facepalm
don't feel bad! its brand new!

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3233 on: February 04, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »

I really love this game and I haven't even played it yet, really awesome work! Both sprite styles for the game are also great imo.
ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: February 12, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »

Is this thread dead?  Who, Me? Sad

Lord Belial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: February 13, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »

i was asking myself the same thing. they wen't away and forgot us =[
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3236 on: February 13, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Playing around with lighting color schemes and dynamic lights today.

Original: no player light, dark blueish ambient

Original + Player torch

Player torch, no ambient light

I like the cold look of the original, but the warmer torch and no ambient version is appealing as well.

Some find hallways sir...fine hallways.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: February 18, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »

Java 7 on mac doesn't play nice with delver. just a heads up

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3238 on: February 18, 2014, 05:17:59 PM »

Java 7 on mac doesn't play nice with delver. just a heads up

Yeah, I'll need to start packaging a JVM with the Mac version like I do for Windows. Adds like 80mb to the download size, but better than not being able to start the game I guess.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3239 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »

Java 7!?

When I wanted to run Minecraft on my fresh Mavericks installation, it prompted me to download Java 6, I think (the official Apple provided JVM).

If you are going to require customers to install something else just for that one game... well, I'd think long and hard about that...

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic