Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 02:46:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMy newest game: Respawn Man
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: My newest game: Respawn Man  (Read 8071 times)
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »

Ok, I'll work on the graphics, particularly the environment, not so much the player. Mainly because I don't want to wreck the collision masks. @GoldMatenes: I think I'll go with the happy feel, as it's sort of what I was going for in the first place. @CiroContinisio: I agree, but many games overlap somewhere, and that's mainly a matter of who's played what first. I mean, to me, The Company of Myself, (which I hadn't played before) looks more like Braid than my game. Shrug Thanks, though; it's still good to know.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »

What are you using to develop this?

Anyway, one glitch was where I jumped off the "boat" and tried to land on it again, and it sunk lower into the water so I died. Also, jumping off the "boat" isn't smooth at all. And in general the landings aren't very smooth. That's all I can think of right now though.

Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »

Thanks, I'll try to sort that out. I'm using Game Maker 8. I know, very unprofessional, but it works well while I try to learn other languages.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

Looks like a pretty good concept, I'll try it out sometime. It looks like Karoshi taken to the next logical step.

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »

Looks similar in concept to this.

Jonathan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:24 PM »

Innovative idea, I like it... it's morbid, but I like it.  I like games that urge you to look outside the typical "I must stay alive" box.
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »

Thanks again guys. @Atnas, do you know the guy who made that game? I'd like to talk to him, seeing how similar our games are.  Facepalm I'll continue trying to sort out graphics and glitches.
Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 01:37:02 AM »

Great concept ! Now all will depend on the situations you will make. A lot of level design work is waiting you Smiley (graphical work too but you already know that Tongue).

And yes, we want a MAC version   Beg
☠️
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »

I'm using Game Maker 8. I know, very unprofessional, but it works well while I try to learn other languages.

Stop blaming GM, or any other program (though mostly GM) for your own unprofessionalism, people -- I've seen just as many pieces of garbage made with Flash, AGI, XNA, etc. as GM has produced, and just as few gems, too!

Focus on gameplay -- It appears that there are some who would still rather play with a turd that comes in a shiny box, than something well made in a cardboard one -- ignore them.

As far as graphics, just make them consistent, as people will play Pac-Man every day until the end of time!

Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 08:55:37 PM »

@Prez: Oh, I've seen some amazing stuff made in game maker. I just don't like the fact that it only exports to .EXEs I'd just like to learn some software that has more compatibilities/features. And the gameplay (IMO) is great. DEFINITELY better that the graphics, possibly second to the soundtrack (which is being made by SoulEye: souleye.madtracker.net ) But guys, do you think anyone would play a freeware game like this with these graphics?  Undecided Do you think sprucing up the backgrounds would be enough? I'd just like to launch it alongside my website, which is nearly ready.
Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 05:28:33 AM »

Actually Prez is right but in a very theoretical way. You clearly realised that by saying that indie games player could expect a minimum quality for the graphics.

Where I join Prez is when he tells you to focus on the gameplay, on the design. Do not try to make it quick push it to the limit. A good idea is great but when it's pushed beyond the bounds this is what makes a great game.
☠️
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 06:12:27 AM »

But guys, do you think anyone would play a freeware game like this with these graphics?
I did. And as long as I can tell platform from spike or ghost from...whatever the hell Pac-Man is, I'll defend it. And don't worry about it not being as accessible as a browser game, if it's quality work people will take notice (though, not necessarily right away!) and hey, you're building a skillset.

I'd just like to launch it alongside my website, which is nearly ready.

This from Shifty:
Do not try to make it quick push it to the limit. A good idea is great but when it's pushed beyond the bounds this is what makes a great game.

This gametype always benefits from boasting many levels. I made it to "Do Not Push" before the below happened...how many levels are there so far? 

You'll probably want a 'kill button', as I got stuck between a couple dead bodies and couldn't move.

I have GM 7 & 8, and would be willing to try to come up with a character sprite or bounce a couple puzzle ideas off you if you want. I'm pretty good at it.

Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »

I have GM 7 & 8, and would be willing to try to come up with a character sprite or bounce a couple puzzle ideas off you if you want. I'm pretty good at it.

That'd be fantastic, Please, PM me.
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »

So, I'm working on a level select screen right now. The biggest problem, however, seems to be the glitches in the platforming (player gets stuck under his corpse, etc.) Once I'm done with the level select, I'll upload the updated version. But if anyone knows how to use GM8, and can help me fix these glitches, I will sell my soul to you, seriously (not actually seriously). So, please let me know if you can/would like to help.
Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »

Hey so,

I really liked the concept as well, but yeah the game could use a little bit of polish, so I tried to give it a shot. Here's a little mockup for ya Wink

ACTION-52-51114E85

tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:37 PM »

This game looks like a blast.  I love the concept.  It kind of reminds me of Oddworld Abe's Oddyssee (basically you die all the time!) but with the brilliance of making every death count for something.

I can't play this since I am on a mac right now.  But I will give it a shot when I get to a Windows machine, or bite the bullet and run it in VMware or Bootcamp.

I think the graphics are fine for a game maker game.  your audience is mostly going to be indie gamers anyways and they are pretty accepting of any graphics so long as the game play is fun.  If you want to improve the graphics without redoing any of the sprites, you could take a close look at your color palette and pic some really nice colors that give it a different look and feel.  Giving it lots of sepia and gray tones might give it a more morbid feel.  Giving it lots of pastel colors might give it a light-hearted cheery look to offset the fact you are continually killing yourself over and over.

Cheers! Keep up the good work.

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

Looks good. Could do with a bit more polish. The part when  he uses his corpse as a boat is great!
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »

So, Scattle shot me an email, and it looks like he'll be fixing my terrible, terrible graphics. So, I'll upload the latest build as soon as I get Game Maker working on this computer. Thanks for the support, everyone, and here are some images used in the latest build (Which is still pretty old), made by someone much more artistic than myself, as backdrops for the storytelling:

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »

I have the same opinion as other - neat idea but need polishing. Try to find one, you'll pull a lot from you project this way Smiley

theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »

pretty nice trailer. At first I was like, wow a super lame platformer, and then at the site of reusing that player's death was epic! I can't wait for the new polished version

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic