Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:04:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGoblin Camp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Goblin Camp  (Read 15928 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »

There is a lot of bullshit going on these days with people pretending they are asperger just ebcause they read about idiot savants or because they're socially awkward and they like to think it's because they are different (and somewhere more intelligent).

There are indeed idiot savants but most asperger and autistic people aren't more intelligent than normal people (and yeah I said "normal"!).

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2010, 12:22:54 AM »

It's probably offensive to say this, but I think Toady has some form of autism.

I don't know much about autism, but don't most autistic people have a lot of trouble with social subtleties?  Listening to the interviews of Toady he seems like the most conversationally adept math nerd I've ever heard.
Guess so, I'm no expert either and I certainly don't want to "diagnose" anyone, but I remember him implying several times in interviews that he doesn't get out much and spends most of his time developing DF, which strikes me as an "autistic" sort of character trait.

But yeah, I probably shouldn't even have brought up the whole autism thing, chances are he's just an odd sort of fella.  Smiley
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »

please dont turn this discussion into autism/aspergers/other mental issues

CA sinclair there is no probably offensive about saying toady is a autist

its extremely offensive

the guy is working really hard towards his dream and managing to obsessively stay focused (the donations help i guess!!)

this is what a lot, probably everyone of us would like

it is not a mental disability
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »

he doesn't get out much and spends most of his time developing DF, which strikes me as an "autistic" sort of character trait.

That's not "autistic". That's "caring about things".

I'm sorry for arguing with you, but people with anything in the autism spectrum have a really difficult life, and the fact that so few people know anything about those illnesses really irritates me. The general public just kind of unconsciously believes that "autistic" is a clinical way of saying "totally nerdy". It's not. You can, indeed, stay inside a lot without being autistic, and considering that Dwarf Fortress is both his hobby and his job, I think he can be allowed to spend a lot of time on it.
Curseman
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »

He's not autistic, he's just a little obsessive about weird things.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »

Weird things?
No, no. Awesome things.

And we all can be said to have some traits in the autism spectrum. Some highly functional aspergers can be very focused and through that become experts and geniuses. But, it is crazy to say that very focused people have to be autistic, or that autistic persons can be expected to be that way.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Curseman
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »

I guess, if a material system that takes a year to develop and still manages to be worse for both gameplay and realism fits your definition of "awesome."
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:32 PM »

I don't think it's a good idea for any of us to be making assumptions about what Toady is or isn't like that. Who, Me?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Gnarf
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2010, 02:11:31 AM »

I think it's a super-good idea. Who, Me?

I don't particularly care whether or not Toady is autistic or whatever. But I have to say, either way, he does appear to be extremely fucking awesome. Like, what with the interface and that, that guy never stopped and said, "well, I would really like to spend the next year developing this weird-ass* material system that I happen to find really cool, but the unwashed masses really do want some buttons that they can click on with their mice or whatever so I'll do that instead." He just makes whatever it is he thinks is the most awesome. And that speaks of integrity and class and stuff like that. And it's the only way anything good ever gets made.

* I don't know a thing about that previously mentioned material system. It may or may not be weird-ass.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »

it would be fine if there wasnt so many bugs, but half his life is spent fixing bugs so itll be ok in the future
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »

I'd just like to say I didn't mean the "autism" comment in a condescending way. Hell, I love DF and I greatly respect Tarn and his work. I shouldn't even have brought that up.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »

WHY IS THIS THREAD ABOUT AUTISM. IT IS NOW ABOUT GOBLIN CAMP.

I've been playing it a bunch alongside Dwarf Fortress. You can definitely see the changes he's made. It's more of a loving tribute to Dwarf Fortress than an outright clone, in my opinion. It plays more real-time, and a lot of the complicated stuff in DF has been truncated down to bare essentials (mining stone to a "stone quarry" building, WHICH IS PERMANENT).

I'm hoping in the future he adds the ability to send excess goblins on excursions to attack settlements.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »

it would be fine if there wasnt so many bugs, but half his life is spent fixing bugs so itll be ok in the future

I'm pretty sure Toady deals with bugs that nobody ever had to deal with before. The bug reports are just insane sometimes.

Also, yes, this thread will have no more mentions of autism.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »

Toady should make it so dwarves can be born with autism!
Curseman
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »

The goblin camp dude needs to hurry up with the new version.  There's potential there, but it's hard to maintain interest with so little content.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »

Rome wasn't built in a single day. I'd rather he release regular updates with some time in between, than burn out trying to get everything out right now.

But, yeah, it'd be cool to have more to do in the game...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2010, 05:52:41 AM »

The goblin camp dude needs to hurry up with the new version.  There's potential there, but it's hard to maintain interest with so little content.

Why so demanding? I'm sure he's not worried about you losing interest.

Being on a forum such as this, I figured you would be aware and more understanding that developing games takes time. Especially if you are doing it for free (I'm sure he has a job and other responsibilities).

I probably wouldn't expect something too playable until next year, if going by his current rate. I can wait that long, just hope he doesn't lose interest in it.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »

to refrain from being rude I will just say that you should listen to allen.

you can follow development a bit more closely here: http://twitter.com/ihalila

ImpalerWrG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »

Hey their just wanted to tell you all that Goblin Camp v0.13 was just released.  The game-play has been expended quite a bit and the UI continues to improve in those "Oh god I can't believe how much easier that is then DF" ways that you all love.  A nice demonstration video has been posted as well which you can see on the GoblinCamp front page http://www.goblincamp.com/

Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »

Hmmmmmmm...sounds interesting.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic