Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:56:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNYKRA
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: NYKRA  (Read 153123 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2015, 01:59:10 AM »

I can see that, but it was more of a Shocked. I always liked the colors of this game, so making them look bad in comparison is quite impressive!
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2015, 10:26:10 AM »

Wow, the old ones suddenly look so drab
That almost sounds like a jab, haha, but I agree, especially with the comparison.

True black (or a truer one now), and slightly enhanced contrast, plus the more natural lights=yellower/darks=bluer transition, really all combined has produced a fantastic effect.
I can see that, but it was more of a Shocked. I always liked the colors of this game, so making them look bad in comparison is quite impressive!

THANKS GUYS! I was gonna write a little bit about this, but ran out of time last night. Basically I reconstructed the palette around the basis of "Materials", and materials are part of other materials.
As in, four colours for ice and water. Water using the bottom 3, and ice using the top 3.
Stone using the bottom 3 of 4 colours, metal using the top 3.

I'll probably go more into depth with this, but basically yeah, things have a much more simple palette with increased contrast and saturation.

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »

Ah, so the colour palette also will function like an in-game hint?
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »

Ah, so the colour palette also will function like an in-game hint?

Ahhhh.... Not sure about that one ahaha
It just makes it super simple to draw things and transition from material to material. Instead of metal being an independent palette,its combined with stone to save 2 colours.
In turn, I've gone from about 120+ colours to about 60!

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »

I like following the development of your game, it looks great and look forward to playing it sometime!  Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »

THE PALETTE HAS BEEN UPDATED

I dig this. <'3

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »

"Please ENDESGA"
"show us some NIKRA"

Eo is now high-tech! It's fully modulus, and depending on what upgrades you apply changes the type of projectile.
Quick Core + Small Aperture = SMG !!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »

Looking great!
Going_Merry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2016, 01:20:53 AM »

Lovely! I'll be sure to follow this project! Keep it up! Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:19 AM »

It's fully modulus
Not sure if typo or in-game technobabble Tongue Either way I'm cool with it
shellbot
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »

Following! Beer!
royalcanoer
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »

Happy Valentine's Day! Hope Nikra's moving along well!
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »

Happy Valentine's Day! Hope Nikra's moving along well!

It is! I'm going to be making a huge post today with the progress that's been happening. And to celebrate 900 Followers on my Twitter!

Watch this space!

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2016, 01:29:53 AM »

It's been a while...
The palette for NIKRA is finally done. And yes I know, it's been a ridiculous few months. I have been terribly busy with life. School finished, and many important things that kept me going have ended; as well as people I have lost.

So I'm here to explain that NIKRA is still alive. It wasn't breathing because it fell down a cliff. But I got it to hospital, sent it to the best doctors, and now it's on the bed. NIKRA woke up, from it's little coma, and so I leaned close to it and said "I finished the palette". It smiled a small smile, and nodded.

Now it's time people...

Now... IT'S TIME.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 09, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »

Wow (times a lot)!

It looks so much brighter! It looks alive :D

64 colors, correct?

ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »

Wow (times a lot)!

It looks so much brighter! It looks alive :D

64 colors, correct?

Thank you so much! And yup! Went from 120+ messy shit down to a refined 64 colour palette that covers everything (currently 62 though, mostly just a buffer in case I really need 2 more. Because I'm having no more than 64) :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:05 AM »

many important things that kept me going have ended; as well as people I have lost.
Sorry to hear that.

Glad to hear you're recovering, and that the project is still going strong!
ENDESGA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »

TRUE DECIMAL-PIXEL COLLISION AND PROCESSING IN NIKRA

Today I wanted to talk about the decimal-pixel engine that's just been implemented for NIKRA.
Please don't get this confused to sub-pixel movement; which involves moving in whole pixels, saving the extra, then when that adds to a whole pixel, add that too.

What this does is a little different, and breaks this trend. So let me explain this as well as I can:
When you draw sprites to a View Port, if the Port of the screen is larger than the real amount of pixels in the game, it will compensate the extra pixels. This can be seen when you're trying to scale a game to fit the screen and you get 'stretched pixels', which in my opinion SUCK. Stretched pixels tick me off a lot, possibly due to my uncontrollable perfectionism (hence me only just finishing the palette).

So with that in mind, the 'extra' resolution of pixels also allows the engine to draw sprites if their coordinates are non-integer (or decimal-coordinations).
If your View Size is small enough (NIKRA is 320 by 180 ~ 1080p/6), and your View Port is big enough (fullscreen 1080p), the you can draw your sprites at a decimal position!

THIS BREAKS THE BARRIOR OF ONLY HAVING A MAX SPEED OF 1 OR 2
(but in it's TRUE form, not just saving the extra pixels and drawing them later. Everything is calculated to the quarter most pixel - it basically checks for object 0.25px near it in the most mathematically way possible)

Here's the simple 'repeat()' code I used for the collision checking:

It's pretty self-explanatory.
And to get the 'bsol' Boolean we need to calculate if there's something beneath it in a very precise way!

As follows:

TA DA!

It's hard to see this effect at a 30fps speed (only because of the gif! the game runs at 60fps), and at it's true speed, it's as smooth as butter!

Hopefully this helps some people!
Until next time,
-Seth  Hand Thumbs Up LeftGiggleToast Right

EDIT:
By the way, before anyone points it out, there are far more efficient ways for setting the x and y without a repeat() function. One way (which I'm not sure if it's a whole lot more efficient), is to check the whole length of the velocity speed then if there's nothing there; jump that distance. If there is, check half of the velocity speed's distance, and so on! I just don't know if that'd be worth while...?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:56:54 PM by ENDESGA » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2016, 01:33:22 AM »

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but are you basically implementing fixed point arithmetic using floating point numbers? (due to the environment only supporting the latter, I suppose)
Caravaggio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2016, 02:24:51 AM »

I curious about the limited color palette.  Do you have code to ensure that those colors are used in the game's drawing method or are you just carefully eye-dropping the image of the palette itself when making the art for the game?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic