Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411677 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 08:46:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLegend of the Knightwasher
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Legend of the Knightwasher  (Read 24977 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 12:09:58 AM »

I saw this earlier. Great graphics. Is the whole thing going to take place on squares? Forgive me if this was mentioned in the thread already - I'll check it later.

Detocroix
Level 0

Level 1 Steamknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »

Haha, hilarious concept.
Although I think the majority of players would prefer playing as a human or at least human-like character.
I personally feel that ideas like this are hilarious for the first few hours, then they tend to decline unless you're being constantly bombarded by more absurdness..

*snip*

Perhaps as heraldic icons or special abilities.

Yeah, I think so too. It's hard to stay connected to a character that is non-human, but I believe that certain approaches to the actual character will fix it. The biggest problem, in my opinion obiviously, is that most games (and stories) over emphasise the fact that someone is not a humanoid or are infact a washing machine which results in you (player) think the character is either lesser or not genuine. One just has to establish a style for the character, stay true to it, but not go overboard with forcing the information.

I've recently played Just Cause 2 and Ultima VII (again for millionth time). They're two VERY good examples. Just Cause 2 tells about the characters by forcing certain habits or styles to them. Blackmarket broker and another agent in addition to main character Rico, speaks with heavy american accent, splurs stupid movie quotes and forces one or two spanish words in his lines. Another character, Rico the main character, has forced accent. Unsure what, some latin american I think, but he is not beliveable at all as it's only his accent that's foreign. He has less human in him than washing machine has flesh. The storytelling of the characters is a written fact sheet which they use for every line and acting they do.

Now Ultima VII has very different approach, and very good approach. The main character is from Earth, travelled to semi-medieval fantasy world (set in somewhere else, another planet, time space or something like that) and the story telling leaves A LOT open in the main character's development. You have certain frames set: You're a good guy, avatar of virtues, a fighter skilled in magic, travel with famous companions, everyone knows you for these things. But the game doesn't force a personality to you. Yes, you are avatar of virtues, but you don't hate fish, love rock'n'roll with zebra centaurs (ignoring the intros) and spew random quote lines at everyone. Instead they concentrate on other characters, your companions, citizens in towns, bandits on the road. They refer to world lore here and there, but even that is not forced and only present places where it matters.

Why you (not you, but people in general) get bored to such forced personality characters? If the personality does not match, you feel detached all the way through. Also the more fact sheet the character gets, the more likely you disagree or dislike certain parts of the character and the more you dislike, the less you wish to take his role.

I will definitely refer to things, but I don't think forcing the point through is ever a good thing Smiley A believable story and characters set in a world that just happens to be about washing machines, is the best!

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely use them for something. I forgot about the laundry symbols :D

I saw this earlier. Great graphics. Is the whole thing going to take place on squares? Forgive me if this was mentioned in the thread already - I'll check it later.

There is travel between tiles, definitely. The latest screenshot set there, I traveled south (well, bottom left) from gate tile to just a random road to the village. Of course screenshots are not the best thing to show it with, but I don't want to make proper videos (or more of them anyways) before I have sounds! Smiley
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 03:31:26 AM »

i really like this idea and wish it was mine. you have an excellent hook, please make sure the writing is good.
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 05:29:17 AM »

I wish to play this.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
Detocroix
Level 0

Level 1 Steamknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 05:13:49 AM »

First bit of draft for the chat system. Still requires plenty of work, and currently doesn't do anything else than just show that on screen.. Keyword based! For better or worse! Wizard
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »

I look forward to the dashing adventures of this gallant top-loader!

louroboros
Level 0

wat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »

I am delighted by the amount of detail being put into the visuals for a game with such a surreal premise.

26PM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »

This looks awesome. Love that it is so polished.

“If you look for beauty, you will find it.”
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »

I'm totally digging the absurdity of this! Will I be able to upgrade my wash/spin cycles? Or select my temperature settings? Scalding hot!  Cheesy

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »

This is delightfully bizarre; I look forward to seeing how this develops! Smiley

Out of curiosity, what are you developing this in?

Detocroix
Level 0

Level 1 Steamknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »

I'm totally digging the absurdity of this! Will I be able to upgrade my wash/spin cycles? Or select my temperature settings? Scalding hot!  Cheesy

Upgrading definitely! But not sure if I'll go that deep with it, haha :D

This is delightfully bizarre; I look forward to seeing how this develops! Smiley

Out of curiosity, what are you developing this in?

I'm using Unity Smiley
Saturn2888
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

I'm really lovin' unity. It makes it possible for indie games look much much closer to AAA games in a much shorter timespan.

Awesome stuff!
Gentleman Owl
Level 0

Nautilus People

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:47 AM »

Love the concept!

On a side note, the font has a nice feel to it but is a bit hard to read in the screenshots. Maybe a similar font that's a little thicker?
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 01:43:04 AM »

Haha, nice concept :D Btw, few years ago we went with my high-school to watch modern theater adaptation of one famous Finnish Winter War novel, where the Russians were portrayed as washing machines Tongue Don't know why though, it was rather bizarre too.

Detocroix
Level 0

Level 1 Steamknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »

I'm really lovin' unity. It makes it possible for indie games look much much closer to AAA games in a much shorter timespan.

Awesome stuff!

Yup, I absolutely adore unity because it gives artists like me, who have a bit of scripting experience, almost endless possibilities.

Love the concept!

On a side note, the font has a nice feel to it but is a bit hard to read in the screenshots. Maybe a similar font that's a little thicker?

Yeah, I'm still a bit battling with what font to use. I'd definitely want to use something slightly medieval looking, but they're almost always unreadable. This is so far the easier to read! Also luckily the game text looks bigger in 720p resolution, but might still have to change it in the future Smiley

Haha, nice concept :D Btw, few years ago we went with my high-school to watch modern theater adaptation of one famous Finnish Winter War novel, where the Russians were portrayed as washing machines Tongue Don't know why though, it was rather bizarre too.

Hoooly heck! If you can find the name of it, I'd love to see that!
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »

Holy crap.

(Edit: I'm getting a very good Robin Hood vibe from this...)

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »

The original book was Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) but unfortunately that doesn't involve washing machine Russians.

I found clips of the theater version though:

Apparently there is tv-version of it too  WTF The main guy behind the thing was Kristian Smeds and it was a minor scandal since pretty much everything related to Winter War or Continuation War is almost holy for Finns.

Detocroix
Level 0

Level 1 Steamknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »

The original book was Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) but unfortunately that doesn't involve washing machine Russians.

I found clips of the theater version though:

Apparently there is tv-version of it too  WTF The main guy behind the thing was Kristian Smeds and it was a minor scandal since pretty much everything related to Winter War or Continuation War is almost holy for Finns.

Ah yeah I remember the scandal but I never went to see the actual theater show (I'm finnish as well). I remember everyone complaining about it, how Tuntematon Sotilas was ruined and they made fun of the characters etc Smiley

Thanks for the link! I had not seen it before. I was kinda expecting red star painted washing machines (like in knightwasher) with rifles :D
Gentleman Owl
Level 0

Nautilus People

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »

Yeah, I'm still a bit battling with what font to use. I'd definitely want to use something slightly medieval looking, but they're almost always unreadable. This is so far the easier to read! Also luckily the game text looks bigger in 720p resolution, but might still have to change it in the future Smiley

Fontsquirrel has some very nice design quality freeware fonts. Maybe you will find something you like. Here's a few calligraphic medieval-ish ones that I liked Grin :
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Kingthings-Petrock
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Kingthings-Calligraphica
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Orotund
Detocroix
Level 0

Level 1 Steamknight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »

Fontsquirrel has some very nice design quality freeware fonts. Maybe you will find something you like. Here's a few calligraphic medieval-ish ones that I liked Grin :
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Kingthings-Petrock
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Kingthings-Calligraphica
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Orotund

Really liking the first two ones Smiley

http://i.imgur.com/YwId2.png Here's a closer look to the screen on the first page. I'm going to still go with this for a while longer and see how it really feels like when I've got more text in the conversation pool in.

edit: Imgur causes very heavy packing artifacts in small images and the game will probably never be played as small as it's in the shots I post here. I don't want to break the forum formatting, so I scale them pretty small Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic