Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 03:27:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2640964 times)
keo
« Reply #4620 on: April 09, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »

I love listening to this.
rdein
« Reply #4621 on: April 09, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

it sure looks nice but the idea behind it (or your "inspiration", rather) is the worst thing possible
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4622 on: April 09, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »

it sure looks nice but the idea behind it (or your "inspiration", rather) is the worst thing possible
Hmm, care to explain?

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4623 on: April 09, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »

I think he means that, judging from your mockup, the game wouldn't be fun to play. Is it a strategy game? Zelda-like? If the arrow is on the HUD, how can he walk around? If I look at the screen, I can't tell how the game is played, and I think is that what he meant, which I also agree.
That said, the mockup is super pretty.

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4624 on: April 09, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

That's one neat mockup. Saved to my inspiration folder

Yeah, I did that too, lol.
Love the sidebar, uh what would you call it... status bar? something like that. Anyways, good work! Hope to see a thread in the DevLogs section soon! :D

rdein
« Reply #4625 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:03 PM »

i didnt mean anything about the gameplay

i just hate everything concerning imperialism and colonialism ): playing as explorers killing tribes and destroying cultures is just Not My Cup Of Tea
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4626 on: April 09, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »

Oh, I see. It's not a mockup for an actual game, yet, anyway. I'm just trying out different things, generating ideas. Having fun sort of. The arrow would be the mouse cursor, so the interface is mouse driven. You click on a character and this sidebar stuff is shown. Somewhere there will have to be command buttons as well (move, attack, make camp, etc.). I haven't gotten to that bit yet. I was thinking of a turn-based kind of game.

Edit: Heh, I think I know what you mean but you don't have to be hostile against tribes, you could try solving things peacefully. As long as you have tobacco to gift you should be alright, where-ever in world. Anyway, white man's the beast.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: April 09, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »

As long as you have tobacco to gift you should be alright, where-ever in world.

Ah. The good old, get them addicted, bleed them dry and kill them slowly strategy!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4628 on: April 09, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4629 on: April 09, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »

Oh, I see. It's not a mockup for an actual game, yet, anyway. I'm just trying out different things, generating ideas. Having fun sort of. The arrow would be the mouse cursor, so the interface is mouse driven. You click on a character and this sidebar stuff is shown. Somewhere there will have to be command buttons as well (move, attack, make camp, etc.). I haven't gotten to that bit yet. I was thinking of a turn-based kind of game.
I see. I assumed from the mockup that it was a NES game, so I wasn't sure how it could be controlled. Sorry if it seemed rash, it wasn't my intention.
Anyway, if one day you do a real game based on that mockup, I'll totally play it. Smiley

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4630 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »

I just realized those are teepees? I thought they were pine trees.

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4631 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »

At first glance I thought they were pine trees as well. Maybe if they were white they'd be easier to spot. The mockup is very pretty though, smooth on the eyes.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4632 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

inspired by playing Kerbal Space Program and thought about making a 2D simplified version for my Iphone. took inspiration from kids blankets/wall decalls and those type of designs

the hardest part would be coding the physics I think.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4633 on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »

JasonPickering, maybe you should try a cardboard / paper-cutout look, so that the rocket would have a shadow right behind it, like it was hovering above the background surface. Similar with the buildings, you even start by them being folded down and popping up right after the screen becomes visible. They'd have to be larger then of course.

Because you know, when kids have a cardboard box, their imagination goes wild. It could be a rocketship or a racecar. Or a robot-warrior.

Just an idea but too childish probably.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »

inspired by playing Kerbal Space Program and thought about making a 2D simplified version for my Iphone. took inspiration from kids blankets/wall decalls and those type of designs

the hardest part would be coding the physics I think.

That style reminds me of Flash. It's a nice style.

I used to want a space-travel game.  Waaagh! I guess It'd be fun. Like, fly to the moon. Then, earn money from something/do some research and fly on the mars. Yum.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4635 on: April 10, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »

Yes, you're right. The white tipi does look better and is more noticeable. Maybe even too much?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4636 on: April 10, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »

maybe do a combination of colors. like add some details and design instead of making it all white

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4637 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »

White teepee looks much better. I thought they were supposed to be pine trees.

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4638 on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

Started making shooter inside Unity, but I somehow ended up with banana ammo! Quick bullshot render of the models, I need to revisit that player ship, looks bland compared to skulls...

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4639 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

That looks sexy as hell.

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic