Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:16:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)  (Read 12934 times)
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »

Wow, so many contestants alongside really inspiring pieces in here!

After messing up last time I finally found some opportunity to participate this time.

http://soundcloud.com/lauchsuppe/toxic-solitude

I tried to compromise the idea of a bare soundscape and a more melodic approach. My aim was to have a very rough and broken sketch of a melodic idea which is mostly covered by diverse ambient sounds. However, I tried to leave enough space so the listener could further develop the melodic fragments in his head while listening; like when singing because of sheer boredom in a lonely post apocalyptic desert only inhabitated by broken robot soundchips. Was the first time I tried to write something like this, I hope it has the desired effect after all.  Beg
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »

Holy moly Lauchsuppe, the sub-bass at 0.07 kicked me awake! Also, the breakbeat drums are really nice.

And is the reference to Greensleeves @0.48 intentional? Wink

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2012, 09:13:08 AM »

@Lunchsupper: I really liked those drums that came in at 0:57 and another time at 1:24.

Some of you guys have some rather unique strengths  Smiley

Some of you guys
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »

@Lauchsuppe, That was a lot of fun. what happens at :42 cracked me up. Awesome! the second half sort of made me feel like i was in an abandoned and haunted version of ableton lol.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »

Some of you guys
Come on, man.

It seems like you can't post a single nice thing without being a dick at the same time.

This is a fun indie competition for people to test their skills and listen to what other people like to come up with.
It shouldn't be an opportunity to compare skill sets or make sarcastic remarks about people's passion, hobby or nickname.

So cut the crap. Play nice. You're being a bummer.

lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »

Hey man, I'm entitled to my own opinions. If I find ANYTHING I don't like I will say it fearlessly. Similarly, whatever I like I would also point out. Stop being sensitive if you want to be a musician man. And ESPECIALLY don't tell me how I should live my life.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

Some of you guys
Come on, man.

It seems like you can't post a single nice thing without being a dick at the same time.

This is a fun indie competition for people to test their skills and listen to what other people like to come up with.
It shouldn't be an opportunity to compare skill sets or make sarcastic remarks about people's passion, hobby or nickname.

So cut the crap. Play nice. You're being a bummer.

This ^^  Hand Thumbs Up Left

@Lauchsuppe Nice one, I liked your used of unprocessed-sounding metallic percussion, that wind instrument gives me chills too! Screamy My only criticism would be the keyboard / harpsichord instrument you use, I think that could have used some reverb to take the edge off.

@EveElis Thankyou, you've really made my day Kiss I used the more modern drum beat with hi-hat because I didn't want it to sound too traditional or cliché by using a dhol drum or something similar. Is the sample you refer to the deep throaty instrument? It's just a vocal VST made for throat singing, made by Greg Schlaepfer a number of years ago I think, just Google 'throat singing VST' and it will be there.
dlt.fm
Level 0

I make atmospheric music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »

David Lopez Tichy - dlt.fm
Composer for film & interactive

soundcloud: davidlopeztichy
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »

Thanks for the positive feedback everybody! Smiley

@Moritz: Awesome you noticed it! Actually, I was planning to make some more references to it but then again I was afraid the track might become too cramped. Yeah, I thought it was a fun idea to have one of those broken robots sing some long forgotten and old fashioned folksong.

@JudahRoydes: Haha, funnily enough in the second half I really started to use abletons delay effects like blazes. So thank you, too!

@Soundhound: I thought of using a reverb for that as well, but I was afraid it might merge too much with its environment. After hearing it over for several times, I decided it was a nice contrast to the rest of the track's sound aestethics - moreso, it adds to that "foreign" feel.
By the way I really am a fan of your piece! I really like your somewhat cartoonish approach towards the given topic. It also reminded me a bit of the Donkey Kong Country Series' OST (which is awesome).
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »

Sorry. I'll try not to start any more fights.
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »

Wow, so many contestants alongside really inspiring pieces in here!

After messing up last time I finally found some opportunity to participate this time.

http://soundcloud.com/lauchsuppe/toxic-solitude

I tried to compromise the idea of a bare soundscape and a more melodic approach. My aim was to have a very rough and broken sketch of a melodic idea which is mostly covered by diverse ambient sounds. However, I tried to leave enough space so the listener could further develop the melodic fragments in his head while listening; like when singing because of sheer boredom in a lonely post apocalyptic desert only inhabitated by broken robot soundchips. Was the first time I tried to write something like this, I hope it has the desired effect after all.  Beg

AMAZING! I JUST LOVE THESE PECULIAR ONES. This one is so impressive, the things you can do with sound O.O It really hit hard. It's very.. Cinematic
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »

Hey man, I'm entitled to my own opinions. If I find ANYTHING I don't like I will say it fearlessly. Similarly, whatever I like I would also point out. Stop being sensitive if you want to be a musician man. And ESPECIALLY don't tell me how I should live my life.

Don't mean to perpetuate this or anything, but,
Whilst, yes, you are entitled to your opinion, it does not mean you always have the "right" to state it. In the real world, you end up sounding obnoxious. Not strong, not confident, in fact I'd get the opposite impression.

On such a forum people range from advanced, to intermediate, to beginner.
Many people have taken part in this challenge, YOU are the only one who's condescending at times.. So where is this generalisation that everyone is a total ass-hat in the music-media?

Which bring me to my next point.. Okay, let's say someone did take part and uploaded a pretty amateur track, what would you have to say about that? As far as I've heard, there have not been any "bad" entries, and each have been varied, and you've still been pretty condescending towards some. Now, I don't believe you'd be the type to genuinely just say flat out, that, "It's terrible", but, it leads me to wonder.. Just why you'd act so tough and condescending toward those at an intermediate level?

To be honest, I don't even think you've been that much of an ass-hat, no.
The reason I'm a little bothered by this is because like many, you feel you can validate anything you do and say by blabbering "FREEDOM OF SPEECH BLABLA".. No. I've known people, who truly believe in "Freedom of Speech", these are people who do not care if people object to what they have to say, they don't care if people judge them as something obnoxious and relentless, and they CERTAINLY do NOT get riled up enough to go ahead and state "blahblahblah freedom of speech rights that". It's incredibly easy to deduce that you are attempting to appear strong and tough, but you're contradicting yourself. If you were so tough and confident you wouldn't care if people judged you as obnoxious, arrogant, and rude.

Finally, say as you like about "Freedom of speech", but if you ask me, in this world there is and always should remain a line between. There's a time and a place. That place is not in media. What exactly could be considered "Bad" by you? I honestly don't think you're the type to bash amateurs.. Nah, so, what, are you talking about things not in your preference? I don't think anyone has the right to say anything about music intended for people of other preferences. To me, it's no different to a Metal-Head bashing on Pop-music or ballads. People who don't understand the concept of "preference" are the same who are obnoxious enough to completely ruin the listening experience for others by commenting with some malicious attack, or comparison.

In Independent media, the only criticism you as a musician have the "RIGHT" to give, is constructive criticism. As for media in general? Again, I will forever support that, it really does display just how obnoxious and conceited someone is when they decide to bash music of other genres or preferences.

You said so, "Stop being sensitive if you want to be a musician man", what, so have you decided to toughen up and conform to all the other conceited douche-bags?

I'm not that angry, and I hope I haven't left that impression, but through the past few years of listening to music, aswell as writing it, I can't help but repel all those who push my buttons.

There are people who take advantage of "Freedom of speech", those are the people who often religiously state the unsatisfactory or ugly, to them at least. And most of the time, those very people are conceited. No concept of preference, or anything. So, yes, there is a time, and a place, for freedom of speech. So you should use that word extremely sparingly, because many do take advantage of it, and use it with the wrong intentions -- You aren't part of a raging mob, this is an indie-forum, be friendly, and helpful.
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »

@EveEllis: Woah, thanks for that compliment! But to be fair, I have to admit that most of those sounds are only slightly modified presets. Most of the cinematic atmosphere eventually comes from Native Instruments' Damage. I was lucky to get it for 150 bucks in a recent sale. It really contains awesome drumkits - along with tons of diverse loops. However, I don't know if I would have regretted buying it for full price since I really don't use those loops at all... anyone in here who could briefly explain to me what these are actually used for? I have no experience with loops at all and was somewhat shocked when I saw that half of its library content consisted of nothing but loops.
Most of the other sound effects in this track are from a VSTi called PreparationP which is freeware and represents a (really) prepared piano. But it's definitely worth checking out, especially since it's free. For postprocessing, i made heavy use of a vst called Glaceverb which is also free and awesome.
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »

@EveEllis: Woah, thanks for that compliment! But to be fair, I have to admit that most of those sounds are only slightly modified presets. Most of the cinematic atmosphere eventually comes from Native Instruments' Damage. I was lucky to get it for 150 bucks in a recent sale. It really contains awesome drumkits - along with tons of diverse loops. However, I don't know if I would have regretted buying it for full price since I really don't use those loops at all... anyone in here who could briefly explain to me what these are actually used for? I have no experience with loops at all and was somewhat shocked when I saw that half of its library content consisted of nothing but loops.
Most of the other sound effects in this track are from a VSTi called PreparationP which is freeware and represents a (really) prepared piano. But it's definitely worth checking out, especially since it's free. For postprocessing, i made heavy use of a vst called Glaceverb which is also free and awesome.

Very nice! I'll have to check out glaceverb. I bought my first drumpack the other day.. £9.. 1000's of sounds.. Such a steal! I firmly believe I will never use loops. I dunno.. Drums are one of the most important factors of the music for me, it can even define the pace of a track, but it doesn't go without some dynamics. I have a feeling loops would be very limiting. So I just stick to sample packs.. Which I'm still getting to grips with, I've got to learn how to make drums sounds good, I have a feeling it has a lot to do with my inexperience with compression.
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

I agree that I have been a dick in some posts, and I recognize that error. I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, it is necessary to point out the good and bad in a track in my own view. For example:

@lamontx: Your track was a "solid composition", however, the timpani at the end did not fit in well with the piano and other instruments. The snare drum sounded a bit light, so you could have layered it for the repetition, while offsetting some by a 64th note or something. Maybe you could have even added something else such as a pizzicatto string line, or a tambourine, or a cabasa, etc.

Now, in this case, there's one person pointing out an error. If this track was released for a more popular form of media, there potentially could be hundreds if not thousands pointing out that they didn't like the part with the timpani, and they would definitely be much more rude about it than I. Taking this into consideration, I won't stop pointing out the negative and the positive things about someone's song, but I'll try not to be a dick about it.  Smiley
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »

@lamontx the problem people have with how you have judged others compositions isn't the fact that you criticise others work but the fact that it's not constructive. Example: 'well, by 'aha', i meant it's not very good xd' A comment like that is just unhelpful and isn't really giving feedback, it's just an opinion (although personal taste does play a part in how we judge each other's work it should be an informed opinion backed up by some kind of technical or compositional terminology). People are not afraid of receiving criticisms (one of the points about these competitions in fact is that constructive criticisms should be voiced and debates had). The example you give would be perfectly fine but the point is you're criticisms haven't been like that. On another note your tone always seems to be patronizing, along the lines of 'that was not bad but don't worry one day you'll be as good as me if you keep practising! I'm sure you don't actually think you're better than everyone else but you come across that way and it's annoying. Also, the point you make about when hundreds or thousands of other people hear someones work they will be more rude about it than you is invalid. The compositions here are made for the competition specifically so will never be heard by anyone but us. Sorry just had to give my two cents, let's not dwell on this anymore and get on with the competition! Coffee
lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2012, 04:53:28 AM »

@Soundhound: In Moritz's case, I offered to "exchange advices on those aspects" (He gives tips about his Gremlin orchestral style, and I about the normal/gaming orchestral style)  and to "talk about it on MSN." This suddenly feels like a misunderstanding.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2012, 05:49:03 AM »

@lamontx No misunderstanding, I just wanted you to be aware so you don't offend / piss people off in the future.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »

Alright, I didn't mean to indulge in this discussion any further, but since you've addressed me, it would be rude not to.
So here goes:

@Soundhound: In Moritz's case, I offered to "exchange advices on those aspects" (He gives tips about his Gremlin orchestral style, and I about the normal/gaming orchestral style)  and to "talk about it on MSN." This suddenly feels like a misunderstanding.
Sorry, I was open to that before - although I would have preferred to have that discussion in an open thread so other people can benefit and/or join in.

Now, I don't think so.
You've shown an attitude that makes me think this won't be a friendly exchange - instead I'm expecting you to behave like you are just better at writing orchestral pieces than me.

I agree with Soundhound: there is no real objective "better" or "worse" in music apart from technical proficiency and knowledge, and - allow me to be frank about this - none of the few tracks you publicly display make me think you could tell me much about the craft of arrangement, orchestration or mixing either. Again, I'm not speaking about the strictly creative aspects which are quite difficult to discuss anyway. (Anyone remember the discussion about creativity?)

To make things clear: While I consider myself a fairly proficient musician - as this is indeed my "day job" and I'm lucky enough to earn a crust doing what I love - I never just shrug away other people's tracks, and this is for a number of reasons:

• Demotivation is a creativity killer. People - including me - know there's always room for improvement: you don't need to tell them to do better. Phrases like "in my opinion" or "it's probably just my personal taste" help take the edge off harsh feedback, and I'm certain in most cases these phrases don't just make statements sound nicer. When you think about it, they make them more truthful.

• There are people who do music just for fun. Most of my own students see music as a creative outlet and/or fun past-time and that's perfectly fine. No need to spoil that.

• For the people who make a living doing music: Both receiving and handing out feedback are training ground for the real thing. When you work with other musicians, employ a musician yourself or just exchange with client, you don't ever want anyone to think you're a dick. People don't like to work with dicks - except maybe other dicks. But who wants to work with a dick? ...you catch my drift.

• And most importantly: No matter how far people are in their technical proficiency, there's always something in there that's pretty damn great if people pour out their true creativity into a musical piece. This competition in particular is so great because there are so many different styles and personalities.

That said: You've apologized, and that's cool. Now please don't try to put your apology into perspective by trying to explain yourself. That's back-pedaling and it doesn't just mess up this thread, it messes up people's view of you.

----

Now I'd really prefer to make this thread about the music again. Discussions like this are very annoying and absolutely avoidable.

LETS HEAR SOME MORE MUSIC.

Cheers,
Moritz

lamontx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2012, 07:07:45 AM »

You've shown an attitude that makes me think this won't be a friendly exchange - instead I'm expecting you to behave like you are just better at writing orchestral pieces than me.

Well, this soundcloud(lamontx) is the more public one where I post stuff I made for competitions. If you'd like, I can link you to my real one which has 53+ tracks on it, many of which are old and relatively bad, and the more recent orchestral ones that are either "tests" that I upload to see if the developer I'm working with is happy with the overall tone or not so I can finish the track, or the full thing itself. Besides, tips are just tips, it's up to you if you want to follow them or not after all.

Regardless, I apologize again for being rude and I won't do it again. Yes, I won't just "try" not to, I absolutely won't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic