Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:43:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsIndie Game Public Domain Art Pack
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Game Public Domain Art Pack  (Read 12810 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »

Idea: A package of pre-drawn game objects (like the stuff the Lost Garden dude produces) put on the public domain so fledging indie gamers can use them for fast development. Probably you'd need 8x8, 16x16 and maybe 32x32 tile sizes, with entities sized 1x1 tile and 1x2 tiles.

pgil
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »

Someone on Pixelation is doing a project like that.

Clickety-click!

Looks like they even have a big database and upload system. I'm sure there's room for more stuff like this though... They seem to have mostly jRPG-style sprites on there, so it would be cool to see things with a different look, for a different kind of game.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:48:56 PM by pgil » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »

The license is different, though. In that link, they're free for use only for open source projects -- you would not be able to use them for anything commercial or even for closed-source freeware (and the majority of freeware is closed-source), whereas public domain graphics can be used for any purpose.

Anyway, this is a fairly good idea but I myself would probably never use something like this, since it'd make the games feel samey and generic to use graphics that others are also using.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »

The idea is that this could 'unify' several games into a sort of mythology like Mario does across a variety of platform/kart/puzzle games.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »

Yeah, but even the Mario games don't use the same graphics for every game, just the same characters. I wouldn't feel like much of a *video* game designer if the video portion is designed by someone else.

Tenderfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:37:16 PM »

I really like the idea of http://opengameart.org; I've already grabbed a thing or two off there.
lendrick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »

The license is different, though. In that link, they're free for use only for open source projects -- you would not be able to use them for anything commercial or even for closed-source freeware (and the majority of freeware is closed-source), whereas public domain graphics can be used for any purpose.

Just to clear up a potential misconception: It's true that not all of the material on the page can be used in non-open-source software, but anything that's licensed under the CC Attribution license or the LGPL.  Just be sure you check the license before you use it. Smiley

Peace,
Bart
http://opengameart.org

http://opengameart.org
Free, legal art for Open Source games.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »

There's always the Lostgarden art packs, but they are sort of restrained in terms of their domain.

bitbof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »

I like the idea, but most devs just *borrow* artwork while prototyping no matter what the copyright. Just look at how shamelessly 2DBoy stole a scene from family guy while working on WoG! Tongue

I mean if you use stuff from a preset it will suck the individuality out of the visuals. So you end up remaking them at one point.

I guess something like sfxr but for graphics would be great. So that the all the stuff gets procedurally generated. The simplest form would be to allow custom colors.
pgil
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »

I guess something like sfxr but for graphics would be great.
Something like this walkcycle generator, but with a bit of randomization would be pretty useful.
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »

The problem I have with this is being "Sure". If I'm making a product that's going to be sold at retail, I'm not sure if I'd trust a site full of publicly submittable art, just because I'd be afraid the users of it weren't submitting their own works all the time, resulting in some that aren't actually PD, because the person who initially held the copyright on it didn't actually put it into the public domain themselves.

For example, a LONG LONG time ago (we're talking probably a decade here so don't judge me!) was doing pixel art for a Graal Online official expansion that never saw the light of day. Now, do I own the pixel art I made back then, or does Cyberjoueurs? There are so many abandoned projects out there where the artists did "some work" but then stopped that the repository of abandoned art is huge, but that art is of questionable ownership.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
hamvvar
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

Check out my new blog which I've created for just this very purpose!

http://pdpxart.tumblr.com/

Long live freedom!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic