Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:40:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMiniplanets (Mega Drive homebrew)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Miniplanets (Mega Drive homebrew)  (Read 11147 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 04:33:15 AM »

Remind me of this

Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 03:00:39 AM »

Won't talk about it yet. I'm gonna say that regarding cartridges, there are at least four companies I'm aware of currently involved in the business (as in releasing Mega Drive games in the present), so there's that.

If you decide to go with a physical release, I'd like to see a bit more substance. Some kind of a story, preferably with an opening, cutscenes and an ending, and maybe more gameplay modes. I know that what you've shown so far is a work in progress, but I feel that releasing games on cartridges has become accessible enough for developers to become a bit... lazy, I guess?

What I mean by that is, the game has to be good enough to warrant a cartridge release, and I feel that's not always the case with some of the titles I've seen. I'd like to see more cartridge releases, of course, but I'd like them to be quality, fully developed games, too.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »

Hey, I can't go around spoiling everything! =| (I already have half the ending programmed, for what matters)
Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »

Hey, I can't go around spoiling everything! =| (I already have half the ending programmed, for what matters)

Nice! What about different game modes? I forgot to mention it in my last message, but adding some kind of a level editor would be great, too, especially if it came with a save feature. Since the playfield is essentially a map of tiles, an editor shouldn't be that hard to do. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate the ability of making their own fun after they're done with the programmed in levels.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 09:39:03 AM »

1) The ability to save levels requires adding extra RAM, which requires implementing at least a minimal mapper as well, and all this adds to the complexity of the cartridge (and thereby cost).

2) Making your own levels is completely pointless without also the ability to share them with other people (this is why Virtual Pinball flopped), nobody wants to make levels others can't play. This means having some way to get levels out of and into the cartridge (on an emulator you could just share the SRAM file, but what about the real thing?). Don't get me started on how much of a mess this would be.

3) Objects are not stored as a tilemap Tongue
Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »

The ability to save levels requires adding extra RAM, which requires implementing at least a minimal mapper as well (...) Making your own levels is completely pointless without also the ability to share them with other people

I was just thinking out loud. As loud as you can be thinking in a forum message, anyway. I thought of this mainly because I remembered Krikzz releasing MegaDrive Flash Kits. Although the current version he has on sale lacks the components to support saving, he plans on releasing one with battery backed RAM. The ones sans RAM cost $9.

I have mentioned RAM saving only because I figured saving own levels would be beyond a password system. Still, a password system would enable level sharing.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »

(・<・)

Yeah there's a sound effect there. Gotta work on those.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

joemusashi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »

I have seen this game in a book about homebrew games for old consoles, and it looks really nice, my greetings Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic