Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 07:13:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonster Prom [AVAILABLE!] <3
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Monster Prom [AVAILABLE!] <3  (Read 95763 times)
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »

Evolution of BLUE's design

What do you think? (:
Soon: the rest!

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »

Evolution of YELLOW's design

What do you think? (:
Soon: the rest!

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2016, 10:10:54 PM »

Evolution of GREEN's design

What do you think?

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »

Evolution of RED's design

What do you think? (:
RED is probably my fav one because he's the one that changed the most, letting me see that our artist is capable of improving on the go and adapting really well to feedback. I know how worried I was about RED not being as appealing as the other three. Then, after some iterations it started to be the best one of all of them, which turned to be a superb thing!

This month I have been super busy with the INDIE G ZINE. It was a success! Around 11500€ raised. Now we're working on a lot of stuff related to that. But MONSTER PROM hasn't been forgotten. We have progressed a lot. The programmer will start to fully work on it by the of this month and I've been talking to another collaborator regarding narrative design. Meanwhile, we progressed on art. We have all the 24 illustrations for events and we started to work on the 6 love interests.

The events are divided by playable character appearing in the illustration + location. The locations are:

> CLASSROOM
> GYM
> BATHROOMS
> OUTDOORS
> AUDITORIUM
> LIBRARY (COMPUTER)

The love interests are:

> JOCK (Werewolf)
> HIPSTER (Vampire)
> BAD BOY (Demon)
> MEAN GIRL (Gorgon)
> PARTY ANIMAL (Ghost)
> ROYAL GIRL (Mermaid)

They're not progressing equally. Probably Jock has been the first that evolved to what probably is its final version while Hipster and Party Animal are still a bit further from completion. But the least developed yet is Royal Girl for sure. We're making her like smaller and cuter. But I want to experiment with making her like cuter in a funny way. Like more parodic.

Soon I will share some snippets of the event illustrations and some progress on the NPCs (:

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »

Croquis for some of the events related to AUDITORIUM and LIBRARY.

And their most recent versions:

What do you think?
Have we ended being relevant? I miss you, guys! D:

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »

Hi!

We went on some serious radio silence because we were going through a change on the art.

We're still working on this. The narrative designer started to write entire events while the art is progressing. We might have enough for a KS campaign during this fall (Sept or Oct).

What do you think about the new art?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:28:40 PM by BeautifulGlitch » Logged

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »

And here you have the icons for the different chars. What do you think? (:

And follow us on TWITTER
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »

I love monsters and I love dating sims! Woohoo! Good luck!

I'm kinda making one now, too (only kinda dating sim-y, and much more monstery (non-humanoid) monsters). I wanna play this, though!

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »

what happened to the old artsyle? The new one looks like there was some budget cut.
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »

The artist decided to leave because we had some economic struggles; but quite the opposite: now, to avoid the same issues, we're investing double on art!

But I guess... you don't like it :c

And follow us on TWITTER
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »

I like the new design, they have finally reach a point where they are well define and super natural!

But I'm not too fond of the aggressive black girl stereotype.

If you bring back some of the "highlight" lighting on the character I think it will look less "cheaper" than the old.

The art is actually better because things get push more into personality (better silhouette, better support of the personality) but that's building on the hesitation you had before until now where they are no more hesitation.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:11:34 PM by gimymblert » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2016, 06:38:33 PM »

Aggressive black girl stereotype? As in being confident or "ratchet" and rude? I think being confident is a great thing, as long as it doesn't become one of those "strong black woman" stereotypes. The "I can do bad all by myself" is played out. Make sure her personality is vibrant and ecstatic! I love her design.

The other large change I noticed (aside from the skin swap with Red) is the face on ol' Green! Before, you were adamant about avoiding rot on the face so that he appeared handsome. It seems like you are okay with it now! It seems much more realistic and perhaps this physical quip could play in his personality?

I personally don't think the new art looks cheaper. It seems more like a different medium was used (i.e. switching from acrylic to color pencil). I think it still holds a degree of professionalism, albeit perhaps not as shiny. It straight up reminds me of Teen Titans!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »

Frowned eyebrows is not just confident, I learned to get rid of them of my black characters, especially when they are the only one. She don't need them to be confident, vibrant and ecstatic.

That said I do love her design, but I'm deep into a project with black women and I became all too aware of the recurring representation they have BUT ALSO they don't have (where are all the shy, gentle but cheery honorable black princess that everyone want to protect?)! Still just an opinion hey!

To be more clear about the quality of the art, I think it's "better" period Smiley I just added as to why some people would thought there was a "change" unconsciously.

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2016, 05:15:13 AM »

I like the new design, they have finally reach a point where they are well define and super natural!

If you bring back some of the "highlight" lighting on the character I think it will look less "cheaper" than the old.

The art is actually better because things get push more into personality (better silhouette, better support of the personality) but that's building on the hesitation you had before until now where they are no more hesitation.

Long time no see!
I'm super glad you think the art is better! (:
I think it is not related to stereotypes. The change on skin color was a surprising twist from the new artist. When asked him to re-draw some of the chars as a style test he made RED skin's clearly darker. To me it made sense because of the co-relation of fire/high temperature + darker skin. And the game needed some more variety (wink wink). The char also was a bit of a "hot-headed". So yeah, it ended under what we can maybe tag as a stereotype, but it wasn't because of it. We just let the artist a bit of creative freedom. I must say that in the first test RED seemed (at least to me) a bit more arabic, which made even more sense because of the efreet/djinn thing.
He just took a twist and the result has been quite interesting.

And yeah! Something that I LOVE about this new artist is his creative and char design intelligence. He is able of adding lots of personality with small details. The chars present more complexity without being too messy!

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:31 AM »

Aggressive black girl stereotype? As in being confident or "ratchet" and rude? I think being confident is a great thing, as long as it doesn't become one of those "strong black woman" stereotypes. The "I can do bad all by myself" is played out. Make sure her personality is vibrant and ecstatic! I love her design.

The other large change I noticed (aside from the skin swap with Red) is the face on ol' Green! Before, you were adamant about avoiding rot on the face so that he appeared handsome. It seems like you are okay with it now! It seems much more realistic and perhaps this physical quip could play in his personality?

I personally don't think the new art looks cheaper. It seems more like a different medium was used (i.e. switching from acrylic to color pencil). I think it still holds a degree of professionalism, albeit perhaps not as shiny. It straight up reminds me of Teen Titans!

I mean... we are so not into stereotypes that, as explained before, the change on skin color came naturally but that haven't made us change her personality a bit. We don't think that skin color should affect on how she is. Let's remember that, for starters, playable characters don't have a full personality for themselves (but instead depends on how the player decides to play). But yeah, they have some strokes of personality. RED was (and still is) brave, a bit hot-headed, funny, bold, etc.

And wow! Now I can see some similarities with Teen Titans, right! Which is great, because it is an excellent aesthetic/stylistic reference!

To me, if you let me: this style is closer to comics and cartoons while the previous style was closer to mobile games. I think this because of the complexity/simplicity on color and char design. I'm not judging. I love both styles (damn, I was in both cases willing to pay them to turn my ideas into a reality!). Now truth is that I've grown fonder of this one. But I still really appreciate last artstyle too (:

And follow us on TWITTER
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »

this style is closer to comics and cartoons while the previous style was closer to mobile games.
Imo the old style is closer to Visual Novel good quality than now, can't see any relation to mobile games.
I liked the softness and light traits of the old style because it's softer for the eyes since the game is supposed to be a slow-paced game.
Considering your game is mostly aimed to visual-novels & comic similar audience, i don't understand what's the target with the new artsyle which looks more suited for "action" based games.

will wait to see more artworks, hoping it's in the same vein as those:

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »

Who is the new artist does it have a site?

@B∀kkusa is right about the softness though

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »

I love monsters and I love dating sims! Woohoo! Good luck!

I'm kinda making one now, too (only kinda dating sim-y, and much more monstery (non-humanoid) monsters). I wanna play this, though!

Oh! Didn't see this one. We're glad you like it (:

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »

this style is closer to comics and cartoons while the previous style was closer to mobile games.
Imo the old style is closer to Visual Novel good quality than now, can't see any relation to mobile games.
I liked the softness and light traits of the old style because it's softer for the eyes since the game is supposed to be a slow-paced game.
Considering your game is mostly aimed to visual-novels & comic similar audience, i don't understand what's the target with the new artsyle which looks more suited for "action" based games.

will wait to see more artworks, hoping it's in the same vein as those:

I get what you say and I'm not entirely opposing to it; but thing is that the game has a heavily blunt and "wrong" tone, therefore a more "edgy" style might match better with it. Prior style was softer, right, but that might not necessarily be the best for the game.
Our criteria when searching an artist was to detour from common dating sim art (that kind of shojo anime style). I must admit that at first I wasn't 100% sure about the new style, but now I'm prouder than ever of our decision. This guy is capable of infusing lots of personality in each character.

For that matter, I can show some narrative content soon to present the tone better.
We also have the 6 NPC models, but we're adding some last-minute changes.

And follow us on TWITTER
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »

And what do you think about logo concepts?
A favorite?

And follow us on TWITTER
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic