Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58440 Members - Latest Member: WebMobril5645

May 02, 2024, 09:39:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeShould I continue...?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Should I continue...?  (Read 3634 times)
DuoX10
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »

Hi, I'm new at developing and alone for here, but I started some things for Flash, and I was wondering if I should continue my project, but I need to review about what to do when it's a fan game.

Here's the link:
http://luizalex10.deviantart.com/art/Astray-flash-146067954

I stopped because this looked so much trouble, I needed 2 weeks to complete the robot (2h a day) and the animations. But maybe, its worth to continue.

Oh, this was suposed to be a game. But when I thought about creating the enemies....I stopped.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:45:56 PM by DuoX10 » Logged

Just play like an ACE
alspal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »

Just make what ever you like.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »

you're making a game about Astray Red Frame

seriously

fuck everything else

make it
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »

I think you should do it.  Grin
increpare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »

Oh, this was suposed to be a game. But when I thought about creating the enemies....I stopped.
My advice would be to prototype the game first with place-holder, and build on animations once you've established that you like the mechanics.  That way you get something you can play super quickly, and can maybe more reasonably gauge what effort you want to put in to it.
DuoX10
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »

First, Thanks.

Well, one thing I know, it that I love robots and wanto to make a game about them, but I'm not really good at creating new robot designs.

It's actually, I think, a second level prototype, since it's in Flash, but I'm thinking about to move it to some another development kit.

Thanks for the advices! I'll make some base before continuing.

Just play like an ACE
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »

there is never enough games about giant robots. Practice! Make a lot of robot designs. One day you'll realize DAMN they're looking pretty good!! but you gotta start somewhere and that somewhere is NOW
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:27:25 PM »

Oh my god; stop. You're expecting too much too soon.
When I made my first game, I downloaded someone else's .fla and changed the numbers and graphics around to make it into a different game. It was really shit.
I think my second game was stickmen guys spawning from the left n right, and you were a spaceship who could shoot them. And that was it.

The point is that you shouldn't shoot for your first game to be awesome, because it won't be. Don't keep grinding on with it, cos that won't be fun and you might hate making games. Maybe later on you'll come back to this idea once you know you can do it. But for now just file it away. Infact in a couple weeks, you'll probably av forgot about it.

I would really suggest lookin for a tutorial, and making Asteroids or something; but with your own graphics and theme and stuff. That might sound a bit crappy, but it won't take you very long and it'll be awesome, and you'll be like CHECK ME OUT I JUST MADE A THING- LOOK AT ME, MAKER OF THINGS which is way better than what you're feeling now. Like- You have to know what it feels like to finish a game as soon as possible. So start smaller than whatever it is you're making now. And don't worry about what it is, cos as long as you make it, you will automatically love it.
DuoX10
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »

Well, it's true.

In my gallery, I made 2 and a half game , but they are just too short.
Sure, I need to see some more tutorials, and see how I need to optimize them.
Aside from that project, I'm starting slow, following some tutorials and finishing tutorial-games.

Maybe the perfectionist me, is a trouble for myself, because, in fact, I want to create something awsome of my own. I don't care about doing awsome tutorial-games at least.

At least, I don't hate to make games, yet, just give up the idea fast.
Yeah....the feeling is not right, I think.

But as I said, I'm doing it slow now and gave up on major things for now and filed them.
Thanks.

Just play like an ACE
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »

I think that your animation and robot design is awesome, but to turn it into a game seems like it would be an incredible amount of work. If you don't feel like working on it anymore (which is what it sounds like) then don't sweat it! Work on something else =)
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »

If you already feel bored at the initial stage, its likely you wont finish the game even if we asked you to. Making games should be enjoyable, and not a chore. Wink

That robot looks really good though.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:32:17 AM »

Making games should be enjoyable, and not a chore. Wink

If you follow this too closely you won't finish any games. There's some parts of finishing one that end up feeling like chores.

DuoX10
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »

Well, this games looked like a chore to make, but I think the feeling at the end could be very enoyable.

This project for now is filed. (believe ir ot not, one of the reasons, is that I don't know where the file is).

I'm starting something, that I spent all this week, but the results....there are none.
However, I'm not stopping, and that's the case. Hope to bring news soon. Ok, maybe not too soon, only to no look likes I'm in a hurry, because I'm not.

Just play like an ACE
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:05 AM »

Some good points were made, here's my 2 cents.

You can't/shouldn't start a drawing from the the highest strand of hair and draw down to the feet. You must first sketch the whole, if you don't you'll end up with a strangely porportioned figure.

Before you start to put your love of robots in the game, make the game! Use rectangles, placeholders, instead of carefully drawn art. Make it simple, and make it work.

Good luck with your future projects. And don't worry about the missing file, it's probably for the best Smiley

PS: If you lost your project folder/file, maybe it's time you learn how to organize a project folder before you start another project.

On STEAM »
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »

Y'know I don't usually go with the make everything out of rectangles thing. I think it's cos o the style of games I make, but I usually draw some o the important animations first, like standing n running etc. Then put him in a pink box-room full of slopes n walls n jagged corners n things and tweak it from there, then start the full game.

I'm really big on animation, so the first thing I check for is how long can I watch this run cycle before I get bored of it or it'd be fun if his hair waved up n down or stuff like that. I think perfecting the main guy is a good way to really SEE what you're about to make before you dive into it.
DuoX10
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »

Yeah, it's my enemy too. The trouble about the triangles. I want to make, at lest the main character before starting all the game. But I need to overcome it before I end doing anything.

Another thing..... like I said before, I'm not yet good at creating original stuff, so like my Gundam Astray, I just "copy" things...But I'm praticing, drawing thing from zero.

Just play like an ACE
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »

I dunno if you'll be continuing or not, but your animation rates will make it completely unplayable.

The player will expect an action to be done immediately or near it or else it'll feel completely sluggish. I'm telling you this since you seem to be spending a lot of time making intricate animations which will most likely be overkill once you speed them up, or you'll hold onto the current speed because you put so much work into it already and it'll ultimately be detrimental to the game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic