Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411566 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:21:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoI HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: I HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]  (Read 131935 times)
Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »

Wee, this looks like a fun, family-friendly game! Gather kids, teach them stuff, absolutely no appropriate touching or abuse!

Who, Me?
Kekskiller
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:49 AM »

I like that you mentioned the reallife situation down on the page. So, this is a game to say that it's more dangerous for kids to be at home than it is to be outside of their house?

Interesting. And so true.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »

Just a little update:

The game is nearly complete.  After I get to it tomorrow night, the game should be done.  I still want to add sound effects and music, but I'm not sure I have the time.  Perhaps I should add music from another source?

Any recommendations?  Or should I just try and do it myself (I can do it, I just don't really have time)?

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2009, 03:00:39 AM »

I say go for it. You could always release it without sound at first to make the deadline, then add the sound later.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »

Heh, the sound effects aren't the problem...I just would like some music is all.  Or maybe not.

I don't know.  I'm so close to the game now, I can't see anything for what it is.  I guess I'll wait until I get a response from the next beta.  Sadly, that beta won't be available until the deadline.  I'll be lucky to make it as it is.

At least I got civilians walking around my town, doing their daily stuff.  I especially laugh whenever I run over that dog.  But I'm a sick evil bastard.

The ever-vigilant(sorta) police department is on the list for today.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »

Just have the van playing 'Greensleeves' as it drives around.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »

So many bugs.  So little time.  Facepalm

I wish I could blame my procrastinating, but this was a rare event where I did actually follow a schedule right from day one.

And yet, I'm still behind.   Shrug

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »

Welcome to the whimsical world of game development!
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »

So many bugs.  So little time.  Facepalm

I wish I could blame my procrastinating, but this was a rare event where I did actually follow a schedule right from day one.

And yet, I'm still behind.   Shrug
A buggy, unfinished version is still better than nothing at all.  I would release something before the deadline, even if it is incomplete. 

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »

I have a few more things I wanna do before I add sound.  Adding sound effects won't take me long, fortunately.  I'm still not sure what I'll do about music... if I'll have any at all.

I got a lot of testing to do.  Hopefully I can hornswaggle a few of you into helping out tomorrow.    Embarrassed

What say you? [copies will be sent out after sfx are done tomorrow morning]

mirosurabu
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »

I can do some music, I'm in a music mood right now. Just give me some point of reference and I'll see what I can do for you.

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with releasing incomplete version by deadline and then updating it later.

Cheers
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »

I'd like something a bit upbeat and cheerful and even a little 50'sish if it's not too much trouble.

But yeah, I'll have to do sound next week.  I just don't have time today.  I'll hopefully have a build for you guys in a few hours.  An awfully silent...no sounds...build.  Shrug

Cry

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2009, 06:32:30 PM »

Its all good dude, you finished tho woot Smiley Sounds can wait I wanna play!

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »

For the LOVE OF GOD, I'm partnering up next time.  Tired

The download will be available at midnight PST, if all goes according to plan.  I'm doing up the endings right now.  So yeah the game is completely playable with a few minor glitches (that are really quite uncommon), but you can't actually finish it yet.  Shall be done shortly.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »

Thank God that's over with.  Now follows a week of bug-testing and sound making.

Yaaay.  Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

Download link in the first post.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2009, 03:43:18 AM »

This is actually pretty fun and challenging. I like how open this game is, though the van is a bit difficult to control and cops patrolling is pretty annoying in the later of the game. The text-based somehow suit this game very well, and I don't think you need a better graphic - the game might even be worse with a better graphic actually! I also like how contrast the atmosphere and theme is. The narration makes it sound like everything is just normal ordinary day activity, while it surely isn't.

I wish there's a save option and a list of kids so I know which one I already got and which ones I still have to look for.

Also, I think I found a bug but I dunno how it happen. Sometimes I couldn't find the last kid so I crash a guy to death and then it said I got all the kids!

Hope you polish this up with save features. Having to start all over everytime to try for a new ending is pretty discourage IMO. Still, this is a great game and I'm glad you could finish it Smiley

EDIT : Apparently, the more I play, the scarier/sicker this game get....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:06:19 AM by hima » Logged

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2009, 06:34:26 AM »

Yeah, stage 1 was a tad frustrating. Especially when the cops were after me and my van was off screen (you should probably prevent that from happening because it happened to me multiple times). It was fun, though, and I liked how abusing the kids in stage 2 made stage 1 much more difficult.

I noticed a few differences in the classroom stage, and a bug. The message "you pull out an impossible question" appears every single time I return to the classroom screen after punishing a child.

Anyway, pretty neat game. Definitely getting my vote (along with Edmund and Super Cock Blockers).

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2009, 06:54:36 AM »

I think a lot of people are going to compare this to Edmund, as it approaches a very controversial topic with player interactivity.  In a way, the mood created by this game is even more sickening than Edmund, because the game's despicable acts are presented in front a bright, colorful backdrop, with language that, for the most part, adds to this "peachy" atmosphere (at least until the end).  This ironic superposition of two extremes is very powerful, and I think it is what truly defines this game's style.  (I think it is kind of like seeing a Santa Claus guy in the mall drinking, although the irony in this game is much more profound).  With this respect, the game is very well-done.

Kekskiller
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »

i would like to try this out... but for some reason, it won't start on my laptop.
the window freezes, and not even clears the background. it also doesn't react when i try to close it... seems to hang somewhere Beg

Same here. No, it's a bit different: The program starts, window doesn't update (can still see my browser!), sometimes I can click on the close button it takes minutes time until it closes. Taskmanager says it doesn't load anymore (50% CPU usage but keeps on using around 39MByte memory), so I guess there is just something wrong with refreshing/displaying the screen. I tried to take a look on your source code, but I'm not into Allegro and OpenGL Shrug . So, maybe I'm not supposed to play this game.

I'm using a Radeon X1650 with Omega Drivers version 3.8.442.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:52:25 AM by Kekskiller » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »

I guess I could make the cops a tad easier, but honestly I didn't find it all that difficult.  Here's what I'm gonna change for the next version:

-Hunt the bugs mentioned.  I really don't know why it's not starting up.  I could use a code expert, because I'm certainly not one.
-Make cops a bit less annoying.
-Shave class time (it should be one hour instead of two)

EDIT: I'm not sure I can implement a save function.  I mean... actions you do from week 1 affect the ending.  There's about a dozen endings.  So saving the game would limit you to only a handful of endings, since the ending you get is usually decided after the first few weeks.

Of course...if you're getting arrested...hmmm.  Yeah, I guess I could put in a save function before each week.

I won't be changing the van's play control...because, you know, it's a van and not a sports-car.  Besides, I find that, with using the arrow keys, it's not too bad. 

Did anybody even bother to get the happy endings?   Shrug
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:00:43 AM by Aquin » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic